Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

If we do have some coaching group turnover this year, it'd be very interesting to see who we might bring in.

If Dew happened to be let go by the Suns but wanted to stay living in SEQ, he'd be right at the top of my list. By all accounts was as good an assistant coach as you could find.

I know we also have Littlejohn and Henrikson (alongside maybe some others?) who were assistants but have basically moved outside the club to the Academy. I would think we would try to bring them back into the fold if we could.

I'd be very interested to see what happened with Hawthorn assistants too. Not sure who they have there, but would think Fages would have a good relationship with those who were there when he was, and some may well be on the move with Clarkson leaving.

Hodge would obviously be an interesting one too. Couple of years out of the game now, and probably a good chance to make a firm decision one way or the other about coaching or media. If he was interested, he would obviously be great.

If we do have some coaching group turnover this year, it'd be very interesting to see who we might bring in.

If Dew happened to be let go by the Suns but wanted to stay living in SEQ, he'd be right at the top of my list. By all accounts was as good an assistant coach as you could find.

I know we also have Littlejohn and Henrikson (alongside maybe some others?) who were assistants but have basically moved outside the club to the Academy. I would think we would try to bring them back into the fold if we could.

I'd be very interested to see what happened with Hawthorn assistants too. Not sure who they have there, but would think Fages would have a good relationship with those who were there when he was, and some may well be on the move with Clarkson leaving.

Hodge would obviously be an interesting one too. Couple of years out of the game now, and probably a good chance to make a firm decision one way or the other about coaching or media. If he was interested, he would obviously be great.

Hodge would be a great get if he's ready to walk down the path of a coach. Too good a footy mind not to.

Hodge would be a great get if he's ready to walk down the path of a coach. Too good a footy mind not to.
I’d rather Hodge stay in the media for the next 5 years.

Then he can join as an assistant coach.

Gotta keep his boys in the academy up here for as long as possible.

I worry that if he stays in media its less of a leverage for him to stick around and he can up n leave to Melbourne.

Assistant coach might give us a John Blakey like hold hopefully.

Hodge is a footy head, the longer he is out of the game in a Coaching sense the less likely he would be to come back to it I reckon.
He would be my first port of call for a full time position, he would be invaluable for the defenders on game day in particular.

To be honest, as much as I am one-eyed about all things Lions, I would feel quite bad if we drafted any of Hodge's boys through our Academy.

The Academy exists primarily to grow QLD talent who otherwise mightn't have picked the sport up. To claim the kids of an AFL great through that program (especially when the club their father won 4 premierships for could take them as a F/S) would feel like a bit of a rort.

Case in point - if Will Ashcroft was eligible for the Suns Academy still and went there instead of to us, I think we would just about riot. Hodge at Hawthorn is that on a more significant scale.

Of course, this is all assuming his kids will want to pursue footy and be good enough anyway.

The Academy exists primarily to grow QLD talent who otherwise mightn't have picked the sport up.
Our Academy is set up to develop AFL talent in Qld.
Not specifically to lure players from other codes.
I would be perfectly happy for Hodgey kids to choose us over Hawthorne if they were eligible for that choice.

Our Academy is set up to develop AFL talent in Qld.
Not specifically to lure players from other codes.
I would be perfectly happy for Hodgey kids to choose us over Hawthorne if they were eligible for that choice.

Yep, makes it difficult for Hawthorn to argue if Hodge is an assistant coach here already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fu** off. It's a different opinion to yours doesn't mean I'm trolling ffs. Sick of this slander being thrown around here.
He’s trolling.
Why are you lot jumping on Size Matters?

Ive only been on here a short time but whenever there is an unpopular opinion, people jump all over them. I reckon to many drink the cool-aid around here. Cant it be acknowledged that the club has shat the bed this year or that our list is in a bad shape. I reckon its pretty obvious too.

Throw in losing Noble, that Fitness guy, Griffin and a lot has changed at the club. We lose Rayner and the wheels come off ane the Hippy goes and the axel comes off to. NEale has either been injured or the brownlow has gone to his head. He ain't doing any of the hard stuff anymore. Then throw in the 2 sooks in Joe and Charlie who only interested in Hollywood footy when the team is beating on average clubs, the fact the coaches only rate 3/4 of the list b/c they wont play anyone else, the ageing list who've now missed there window at a a flag (Lester, Zorks, Rich, Birch, Lyons, Robbo) a busted up list (usual players that struggle getting on the park - Darcy) a host of players that would barely get a game at North (Matho, Kiddy, Madden, Berry x 2), next to no depth (we've seen all year no name players at other clubs such as all those HAwks kids come in and do a great job. Ours either cant get a game or if they do make no impact).

Then, as I was laught at weeks ago, wheres our big win this year like Giants beating the Cats or North rolling WCE in WA? There literally hasn't been a single win where we've been massive underdogs. Our away wins have been against crap sides and our home wins should be won. SO what an underwhelming year.

Time for fresh blood. Get Clarko or even Don Pyke.

Fages has no plan B, that we know.

Ive only been on here a short time but whenever there is an unpopular opinion, people jump all over them. I reckon to many drink the cool-aid around here. Cant it be acknowledged that the club has shat the bed this year or that our list is in a bad shape. I reckon its pretty obvious too.

Throw in losing Noble, that Fitness guy, Griffin and a lot has changed at the club. We lose Rayner and the wheels come off ane the Hippy goes and the axel comes off to. NEale has either been injured or the brownlow has gone to his head. He ain't doing any of the hard stuff anymore. Then throw in the 2 sooks in Joe and Charlie who only interested in Hollywood footy when the team is beating on average clubs, the fact the coaches only rate 3/4 of the list b/c they wont play anyone else, the ageing list who've now missed there window at a a flag (Lester, Zorks, Rich, Birch, Lyons, Robbo) a busted up list (usual players that struggle getting on the park - Darcy) a host of players that would barely get a game at North (Matho, Kiddy, Madden, Berry x 2), next to no depth (we've seen all year no name players at other clubs such as all those HAwks kids come in and do a great job. Ours either cant get a game or if they do make no impact).

Then, as I was laught at weeks ago, wheres our big win this year like Giants beating the Cats or North rolling WCE in WA? There literally hasn't been a single win where we've been massive underdogs. Our away wins have been against crap sides and our home wins should be won. SO what an underwhelming year.

Because recently he only pops on here to post when we aren't doing well to make his posts. He didn't get nearly as much of a reaction when he was in here regularly.

wheres our big win this year like Giants beating the Cats or North rolling WCE in WA? There literally hasn't been a single win where we've been massive underdogs. Our away wins have been against crap sides and our home wins should be won. SO what an underwhelming year.
Smashing Geelong and Richmond clearly fits your list. Other than that we're not going to be underdogs because we're a bloody good team, as hard as it is for some people to remember that.

For a Plan B you need the players to implement it.

Whilst I do get a bit frustrated with unwillingness to try something different when we're struggling on game day , Fagan is clearly a good coach . We've had some fairly dramatic changes to the coaching panel ,copped injuries to key players, with many players feeling the effects of the covid era like all clubs. Our list isn't as deep as we would like ,some things are beyond your control.

It is possible we've over achieved and issues with our list are now becoming apparent.

We have a plan B. The last few weeks have been our plan D

:D I really am enjoying these long form articles they give Hammo to write.
The empty front seat certainly is.

The usual occupant, senior coach Chris Fagan, has assumed a new position down the back of the bus and sits in quiet conversation with trusted lieutenants, Dayne Zorko, Harris Andrews and Ryan Lester.

* Daniel Rich has reminded Lions Media that the he is the OG of the back seat and Harris Andrews is a guest still serving probation. Lions media acknowledges the mistake and apologises unreservedly.*

Got an update on things for us?

I think Neale's form is the main difference between this year and last. He's gone from the best mid to a B grader. Zorko stepped up but it's not the same. Lyons and Neale gave us so many clearances last year and it hasn't been the same. We've then had to rely on our ball movement which has never been good. Plus the weakened defence hasn't helped

I think Neale's form is the main difference between this year and last. He's gone from the best mid to a B grader. Zorko stepped up but it's not the same. Lyons and Neale gave us so many clearances last year and it hasn't been the same. We've then had to rely on our ball movement which has never been good. Plus the weakened defence hasn't helped

Absolutley. I think Fages will be looking forward to a fully fit Neale next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back