Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

True, though on reflection how hard is it to coach the Melbourne midfield - Hey Maxy just get the ball to Clarry or Petracca and if you want to snap the odd sausage then that is ok too.
Literally all they do is blast it to McKay and if he isn't there, they suck.
Maybe the coaching has something to do with these improvements?? If it was so easy why couldn't any random do it?

I think designing a game plan that revolves around McKay and turning him into a Coleman medalist is pretty darn impressive.

We needed a seasoned experienced coach for our mids, and we got that. We got someone who the head coach has worked with before and would have a very good understanding of their capabilities. They are still coming from another club, so still bring with them fresh IP as well.cant see the fuss really.

You don't last that long as a coach if you aren't any good. I would expect our current environment to be 20 x better than what he was working with at the Blues. Really looking forward to see what we do with our midfield next year.

Also like that he is coming from a forward coaching position, but with a team that best performed offensively. Should match in well with how we play.

Maybe the coaching has something to do with these improvements?? If it was so easy why couldn't any random do it?

I think designing a game plan that revolves around McKay and turning him into a Coleman medalist is pretty darn impressive.
Well that great for McKay but not necessarily for the team. There is a reason for them being in the middle to lower ladder despite having a great forward. He can get double teamed/triple teamed. He is a great forward, noone is denying that, but if for whatever reason he wasn't in the team, then it doesn't really look like they have much of a chance. You really need multiple goalkickers every week imo like our team does. McKay in our team... Now that would be good.

We needed a seasoned experienced coach for our mids, and we got that. We got someone who the head coach has worked with before and would have a very good understanding of their capabilities. They are still coming from another club, so still bring with them fresh IP as well.cant see the fuss really.

You don't last that long as a coach if you aren't any good. I would expect our current environment to be 20 x better than what he was working with at the Blues. Really looking forward to see what we do with our midfield next year.

Also like that he is coming from a forward coaching position, but with a team that best performed offensively. Should match in well with how we play.
Interesting you say that, because we do need to do something with our defensive running and gameplan. From what l have read about our gameplan, it seems to be one that covers up our weaknesses which is defensive transition. How do we get our players to run harder both ways, is it them being lazy or them being unfit? Maybe both

Carlton board haven’t given up on Clarkson yet..
In typical Carlton fashion they'll throw the kitchen sink at him.

So they can save face and say we got him.

Similar strategy employed with Pagan and Malthouse.

Then as a reaction to that not working went back to a home grown boy in Ratten who actually over achieved unbeknowns to them, and then a total unknown quantity in Teague which in their mind backfired so spectacularly that they are desperate to pay a big name whatever they want.

With it not occurring that there might be endemic LT issues at the club unrelated to coaching.

Interesting you say that, because we do need to do something with our defensive running and gameplan. From what l have read about our gameplan, it seems to be one that covers up our weaknesses which is defensive transition. How do we get our players to run harder both ways, is it them being lazy or them being unfit? Maybe both
Or not having the capacity to do it.

That's possible.

Well that great for McKay but not necessarily for the team. There is a reason for them being in the middle to lower ladder despite having a great forward. He can get double teamed/triple teamed. He is a great forward, noone is denying that, but if for whatever reason he wasn't in the team, then it doesn't really look like they have much of a chance. You really need multiple goalkickers every week imo like our team does. McKay in our team... Now that would be good.
But he wasn't constantly double or triple teamed.

Maybe he coached the other forwards to lead in certain patterns to draw their opponents away and give McKay space?

Just because that was the Carlton way, doesn't mean it needs to be our way. I'd love to see what he could do with Daniher/Cameron/McStay/McCarthy and Hipwood when he returns.

Maybe he coached the other forwards to lead in certain patterns to draw their opponents away and give McKay space?

Just because that was the Carlton way, doesn't mean it needs to be our way. I'd love to see what he could do with Daniher/Cameron/McStay/McCarthy and Hipwood when he returns.

I agree. He coached a forward line that had McKay, and their next best forward being a 34yo Betts. Despite that, that forward line was only 0.6% less effective at converting inside 50s into scores than our forward line. Be interesting to see how he goes with more options to work with.

I agree. He coached a forward line that had McKay, and their next best forward being a 34yo Betts. Despite that, that forward line was only 0.6% less effective at converting inside 50s into scores than our forward line. Be interesting to see how he goes with more options to work with.
I thought he was coming in as our midfield coach.

I thought he was coming in as our midfield coach.

Fair point.

I guess my point still stands that I wouldn't judge him based on the fact he was Carlton's forwards coach when statistically it feels like he overachieved with the forwards talent they had. Especially considering before that, he was the Hawthorn midfield coach for their threepeat (at least 2 years of it anyway).

Bruce and Fagan were at Melbourne together for 9 years as well as the 6 years at Hawthorn

With Tapping leaving and Carlton imploding this appointment in hindsight probably should have been predicted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great appointment in Cameron Bruce. Clarko rated him extremely highly as an assistant coach and worked with Fagan at the dees when Fages was his forward line coach.

Very smart tactical coach who was probably on par with Adam Yze as s potential senior coach in waiting but being at Carlton will almost kill your career such is the place so toxic.

Going to Brisbane to work with Fages will boost his senior aspirations even further now.

I have done some looking around and I think Bruce looks like a good appointment.

Highly rated internally at both clubs he has been at.

Happy to have him on board and to be given a go in our group, good level of experience too.

Apologies if you took my comment seriously.

I wonder if he and Josh Bruce (Bulldogs) are related........not a common surname.

Yes. He can't wait to join Fages and the Brissy lifestyle. The whole family is excited about the move. I liked his attitude, likes how the club is run and doesn't think much needs to be done to reach the pinnacle...

I get the impression he really wants to escape Victoria.

Can't say I blame hime after all the thuggish, violent stuff going on down here atm. Wish I was up there too!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back