AFL Club
Sydney
Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
That said, Daw should have been cut years ago. Not even the great PR exercise they were hoping it to be.

He was a good, versatile player in 2018. Then the off-season happened...

Fair effort for any Rookie Drafter to have a 10-year AFL career, let alone one who didn't grow up with the game. Showed he had ability back, forward, and in the ruck.

Not necessarily. With list cuts I suspect a lot of teams will be cutting a lot of players in the coming weeks.

Exactly. Let's wait until we find out for sure how deep the cuts to list sizes are before we get too excited.

I dare say, this will end up looking deep, but not amazingly so.

Of course, this is just the initial cut...There are quite possibly a few more they're hoping to trade, or are holding as depth in case they don't get to trade int he players they want.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Of course, this is just the initial cut...There are quite possibly a few more they're hoping to trade, or are holding as depth in case they don't get to trade int he players they want.

I would suspect this is how other mediocre OOC guys like Taylor Garner and Kayne Turner survived the cut.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think I could happily make the call on 10 or 11 players at most bottom 6-8 clubs, it's just contracts stopping a lot of them.

Even looking at Melbourne who are borderline top 8 I can see 10 uncontracted players who I don't think are anymore than C grade depth and have minimal trade value. Seems reasonable that a bottom 2 club can do the same.

He was a good, versatile player in 2018. Then the off-season happened...

Fair effort for any Rookie Drafter to have a 10-year AFL career, let alone one who didn't grow up with the game. Showed he had ability back, forward, and in the ruck.

There's going to be hundreds of Sudanese-Australians play AFL footy and Majak opened the door for them all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would suspect this is how other mediocre OOC guys like Taylor Garner and Kayne Turner survived the cut.

Garner can play very good footy if fit. But I won't be surprised if he gets cut when we find out what the list sizes are.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
There's going to be hundreds of Sudanese-Australians play AFL footy and Majak opened the door for them all.
Absolutely......

My 2 favourite North Players in the last 10 years were Majak Daw and Lindsay Thomas.

I have always had a soft spot for Lindsay Thomas as he went to the Sam High School as me and I am as old as him too.

Majak Daw I had a keen interest for the Simple fact of his background. I remember seeing him the 1st time North recruited him. He was a skinny young bloke, then 3-4 years later he was built like a Brick wall.

I wish both blokes the best in their post AFL and post North Melbourne career.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
North are going to be cellar dwellars for quite some time.

The team that couldn't afford to rebuild during the good times is going to completely gut the club during COVID. Shaw would want to get it right or they are in big trouble. TV deal won't save them. Look at channel 7's dispute with Cricket Australia. They are not going to want to show North games.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
The team that couldn't afford to rebuild during the good times is going to completely gut the club during COVID. Shaw would want to get it right or they are in big trouble. TV deal won't save them. Look at channel 7's dispute with Cricket Australia. They are not going to want to show North games.

Thats the feeling im getting also. Wholesale list changes in a pandemic. I see the goal , but 11 delistings , plus another two in potentially Polec and Brown moving on? absolutely takes the heart out of a club. Again i understand the rationale of some of the delistings , but how do two leadership group players get delisted.

Back