Fair work commission ruling on Sunday penalty rates

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone have many examples of retail outlets that pay a 100% loading on a Sunday? I was under the impression(because of the enterprise agreements) that the likes of Coles, Woolworths, Big W, KMart, Target, Liquorland, BWS etc all had no loading on Saturday(which is bullshit, should at least have a 20% there as a simple incentive to those that work it) and a 50% loading on Sunday.

I personally do not view all public holidays as equal. I reckon the likes of Xmas day, Boxing day, New Years Day, and Easter weekend should be a 200% (triple time) loading instead of 150%, and the likes of Queens birthday, Labour day, Anzac day, Adelaide(or insert city that is not Melbourne) cup day should be a 100% loading. A reduced rate for the likes of Queens birthday weekend may encourage more tourism if the opportunity cost of not working that shift is reduced.

The public holiday tinkering is the bigger issue here than the Sunday IMO. This is some tough medicine that had to done eventually. Be interesting to see if it defines the next election.

Yes it does. People dont go to cafes on a sunday because many are not open and the few that are open are ridiculously overcrowded which stops people from going especially people with young children.
Overcrowded?
So this will solve the overcrowding situation, because more cafes will be open?

Doesn't that mean that the original businesses are now losing (crowds)customers, income, jobs?

Does anyone have many examples of retail outlets that pay a 100% loading on a Sunday? I was under the impression(because of the enterprise agreements) that the likes of Coles, Woolworths, Big W, KMart, Target, Liquorland, BWS etc all had no loading on Saturday(which is bullshit, should at least have a 20% there as a simple incentive to those that work it) and a 50% loading on Sunday.

I've never heard of anyone working at Coles, K-Mart etc. earning any loading for working on a Saturday.

I personally do not view all public holidays as equal. I reckon the likes of Xmas day, Boxing day, New Years Day, and Easter weekend should be a 200% (triple time) loading instead of 150%, and the likes of Queens birthday, Labour day, Anzac day, Adelaide(or insert city that is not Melbourne) cup day should be a 100% loading. A reduced rate for the likes of Queens birthday weekend may encourage more tourism if the opportunity cost of not working that shift is reduced.

The public holiday tinkering is the bigger issue here than the Sunday IMO. This is some tough medicine that had to done eventually. Be interesting to see if it defines the next election.
Ok

Woolworths/Coles stopped paying saturday loading a while ago, I think after 10PM you might get a slight jump, Sundays are 175% i think average pay for those jobs is 22-24ish,

However a Coles part-timer actually caused the current agreement to be void, So they are in negotiations right now to fix it

I've never heard of anyone working at Coles, K-Mart etc. earning any loading for working on a Saturday.
Ok

Woolworths/Coles stopped paying saturday loading a while ago, I think after 10PM you might get a slight jump, Sundays are 175% i think average pay for those jobs is 22-24ish,

However a Coles part-timer actually caused the current agreement to be void, So they are in negotiations right now to fix it
Poor use of words on my behalf. I am aware that there is no Saturday loading. My use of the word "bullshit" was to express this was unfair to those workers.

The whole 7 day economy argument is bogus.

Yes shops are open and some professions do work saturdays now. But the vast majority of people (particular decision makers) are in monday-friday roles.

Let's get these lazybones to work then! There's bound to be infrastructure lying idle while they don't work. Shift work/ job share a role if needed.

It's astounding that the SDA agreed to an agreement that failed the better off overall test. That's an amazing level of incompetence. It shafted casual workers with reduced weekend penalty rates! Coles employees like Trent from Shorten's presser and all his Sunday working mates would have been better off with no SDA and no enterprise bargaining.

$30/hr in retail?

Looking at the wage agreement from Myer in 2011 where full time workers were on $643/ week for 38 hour week - $16.92, with 20% casual leave loading takes it to $20.30/ hour. As wages growth has been poor ... yeah, ok am really struggling to find how they came up with the $6k/ year worse off figure.

When I worked for Myer (late 1990s) sunday trading had kjust come in, and there was a sunday penalty (I think it was only a 50% loading in recollection)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheffing in pubs without pokies is like pushing runny s**t uphill with a fork when the guys across the road have a TAB or pokies.
I can see how the TAB would make a big difference, but not so much pokies

Their partners, family members or children may.
You make too many assumptions.
I know a number of what I consider small business and can assure you that they will not be increasing opening hours nor employees.
The more concerning is the change for working on public holidays.
Do you have a well paying full time job?
Yes some won't open as 150 percent is still to high and some business owners want to have their Sunday off. but we know plenty will open as otherwise why would so many be closed on Sundays relative to saturdays in the first place?

If your partners and their kids are going our for Sunday lunches at restaurants then your family ain't exactly on struggle street are they so all these complaints about not being able to live without 200 percent pay on Sundays are mute.

There are both positive and negative impacts of this decision for consumer demand. But if you want to work out which effect will dominate then you work out which one has the most work taking place.

Posted this on the Turnbull thread

Looking at the figures it seems this is a neither here nor there cut. It wont open any new businesses, it wont change any staffing levels. It seems to me to be more a wedge on the ALP. If the ALP come out swinging the LNP can accuse them of being anti-worker/business etc.

Yet the cuts aren't that deep to make the workforce rise up and storm the citadel.

Gees Shortens response to this independent tribunals decision has been pathetic populist rubbish. It's going to turn voters back to the coalition which is not ideal given they won't fix the housing crisis. Labour needs a new leader pronto.
Populism seems to win votes though (see trump). And in Australian system if the affected workers are distributed in all seats while those who support the change or are anti populist are in already
safe liberal seats it will benefit labour.

Because they are still special and thus why we still have 150 percent pay over working days.
No, because they haven't got with the times and community expectations. Everyone should be shift working.

Posted this on the Turnbull thread

Looking at the figures it seems this is a neither here nor there cut. It wont open any new businesses, it wont change any staffing levels. It seems to me to be more a wedge on the ALP. If the ALP come out swinging the LNP can accuse them of being anti-worker/business etc.

Yet the cuts aren't that deep to make the workforce rise up and storm the citadel.

The cuts are designed to open the door to Work Choices II, as soon as recession hits it will be all about trickle down economics and cutting wages and company taxes so that more people can get a job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back