Fair work commission ruling on Sunday penalty rates

Remove this Banner Ad

The cuts are designed to open the door to Work Choices II, as soon as recession hits it will be all about trickle down economics and cutting wages and company taxes so that more people can get a job.
Oh yes I did think this ie ''its only the start'' could well be the ALP tactic.

I thought the idea was to cut Penalty Rates all together

Yes some won't open as 150 percent is still to high and some business owners want to have their Sunday off. but we know plenty will open as otherwise why would so many be closed on Sundays relative to saturdays in the first place?

If your partners and their kids are going our for Sunday lunches at restaurants then your family ain't exactly on struggle street are they so all these complaints about not being able to live without 200 percent pay on Sundays are mute.

There are both positive and negative impacts of this decision for consumer demand. But if you want to work out which effect will dominate then you work out which one has the most work taking place.
You didn't answer the quesion as to whether you are in a well paying full time job.
As to the rest of your post you have made your thoughts quite clear.

The "it is not cutting wages it is creating flexibility" song sheet will be in full force today and over the next few weeks no doubt.

I don't know about that, it's been my experience that there are plenty of hospitality workers that would walk over their own grandmothers to get Sunday work. There's always demand for those shifts.

I know places that sack casuals for rejecting any shift for "being too inflexible to cope with the demands of the job"

One included a year 12 who was told if they rejected shifts during exams they would be sacked

Sorry but that is crap. Use some logic. If a business wasnt quite profitable at the previous sunday rates then they didnt open and if these new rates make them proftable now then they will. You cant complain about both profits going up but no jobs being created. They are directly positively related to each other. A business cant make a profit without opening its doors.

Thanks to the joys of globalization, there'll be plenty of brown and yellow folk that'll fill the roles for a pittance

How about more people employed, means less welfare dependent.
Business being more viable will also mean employment is more secure.

I know it is not the high end earning, but this is not bad for the economy.

Nup. They'll be paid so shithouse that they'll qualify for other assistance. FFS, community services are already being overwhelmed with the 'working poor'

What about businesses that are pitched at families?

Sorry kids, no ice cream or fish and chips at the beach. The cafe can't afford any staff.

You can't have fish and chips ya spoilt bratz, coz we can't affod 'em anyway coz your mum's rates have been cut. Spam sangers again

I'd question any business that is constantly pleading the need for lower taxes, and the ability to pay it's workers less, it would seem to me that they might have a business plan that's not really that practical in the first place if they keep needing further concessions to make it work.

Is that the same enterprise agreement that the SDA negotiated which stiffed workers out of their entitlements?

Edit: And he's a shoppies delegate as well.

I really feel for folk represented by that sorry excuse for a union. Shady deals with Coles, conservative christian dogma. The Silver Bodgie really f**ked up allowin' these cretins back into the ALP to shore up his support in the 80's

Populism seems to win votes though (see trump). And in Australian system if the affected workers are distributed in all seats while those who support the change or are anti populist are in already
safe liberal seats it will benefit labour.
The affected workers already vote labour or greens anyway. What matters is how it changes the views of the middle class.

I'd question any business that is constantly pleading the need for lower taxes, and the ability to pay it's workers less, it would seem to me that they might have a business plan that's not really that practical in the first place if they keep needing further concessions to make it work.
They aren't asking for concessions though. Where did you get that idea from? They are asking to remove an unbalanced rule created on the back of religion that says they have to pay double the rate on one day compared to another.

Thanks to the joys of globalization, there'll be plenty of brown and yellow folk that'll fill the roles for a pittance
Um we are talking about services sector here not tradeable goods. Globalisation has nothing to do with it.

But you do raise a good point. The racist alt right and those complaining about the ruling are essentially one and the same if you have any consistency in your arguments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um we are talking about services sector here not tradeable goods. Globalisation has nothing to do with it.

But you do raise a good point. The racist alt right and those complaining about the ruling are essentially one and the same if you have any consistency in your arguments.
This is an extension of the all those who oppose free trade are racist argument which is so stupid that it demeans the person suggesting it.

You didn't answer the quesion as to whether you are in a well paying full time job.
As to the rest of your post you have made your thoughts quite clear.
Because that question is irrelevant. It may effect my bias on subjects but it doesn't impact the validity of the argument itself. Debate the argument not the person. If I'm biased then my argument may be faulty so show that this is the case.

Because that question is irrelevant. It may effect my bias on subjects but it doesn't impact the validity of the argument itself. Debate the argument not the person. If I'm biased then my argument may be faulty so show that this is the case.
I have if you go back and read my posts and you just keep coming back reiterating the same opinion.
Just think that it is easy to express your views if you are not affected.

I am not affected but I can see how others may be and believe that students, low income earners are getting whacked and getting sick of policies that widen the gap.

Schmucks. Oh well, this is what you get when union strength is weakened
When I worked as an environmental consultant there were days where I had to work longer hours to get tasks done. However if you end up working weeks that exceed the required 38 hours you were required at some stage to take time off to make up for it.

That's a pretty s**t way to run a business. Constant staff turnover is a giant pain in the dick.

As a young fella, I used to see it all the time at Coles.

Employ someone as a 15/16 yr old when they're in the lowest wage bracket. There was no Sunday trading in those days so all the youngest workers used to get all of the hours on public holidays, which was really only Easter. Once they hit 18, cut their hours to the bare minimum or none at all and give all their hours to the new batch of 15/16 yr olds.

Rinse and repeat.

The affected workers already vote labour or greens anyway. What matters is how it changes the views of the middle class.
Potentially children of the middle class. And a fair few of the affected workers may have had conservative alignment before this (based on other issues eg perhaps they felt labour/ greens too scaremongering about climate change as an example). To now be directly disadvantaged usually is a strong vote change.

It is. Evidence by interview by john gained (abc morning about 840 am) yesterday with president of chamber of commerce.

That's a pretty s**t way to run a business. Constant staff turnover is a giant pain in the dick.

Dont disagree

Its why i have some sympathy on the penalties argument. When your employer shows no respect for you ans changes shifts with as little as 2hrs notice, it has an impact upon your life

Also one of the companies i know using these techniques is woolies, so its not just the local pasta joint

Quite possibly the most stupid comment you've ever posted (and there's a litany of those). I can only echo Gough's sentiments on this (it's easy to see where your justification for your codswallop lies). I'll refer you to the 7-11 debacle to illustrate my point

As a young fella, I used to see it all the time at Coles.

Employ someone as a 15/16 yr old when they're in the lowest wage bracket. There was no Sunday trading in those days so all the youngest workers used to get all of the hours on public holidays, which was really only Easter. Once they hit 18, cut their hours to the bare minimum or none at all and give all their hours to the new batch of 15/16 yr olds.

Rinse and repeat.
That's why regulated wage brackets for people based on things other than work contribution is poor policy. It's creates distorted inefficient outcomes that impacts fairness. It's the exact same reason why regulated penalty rates are bad policy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back