Fairfax (now Nine) and other left-wing media bias in Australian political coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

There are two different animals at play here.

Realistically, who cares about the views of opinion columnists? I don't think any of them put themselves forward of being free from bias, I think you know what you get from Price and Bolt etc. There's no real surprises there.

The real problem I have had with journalists paid for their political analysis, not their opinion. I think the vast majority of them have had an absolute mare this election campaign, and the run up to it.

I hope Fairfax gives us a lot more from that political maestro, John Hewson, up to the next election too.

https://www.smh.com.au/federal-elec...n-withers-to-irrelevance-20190424-p51gr0.html
Far from a contest of ideas, this campaign withers to irrelevance
For the second time in a dozen years a Coalition government is, according to the polls, facing electoral defeat, easily characterised as “stubborn” and “prejudiced” on key policy issues, a team of (mostly) men of the past, lacking a vision or the policies to back it up.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...o-pm-you-need-a-makeover-20190327-p517zl.html
Bathing in NSW's reflected glory won't do, PM, you need a makeover
Morrison’s only hope is a complete image and policy reset – to recognise the risks to our future and map out a realistic path forward. This will involve the conspicuous ditching of old prejudices, policies and rhetoric.
In these terms, a budget that merely extrapolates the Coalition's past, offers more insignificant tax cuts and more unfunded infrastructure rather than solutions, should seal its electoral fate. If it adds to this the continued failure to recognise the urgency of the climate challenge and the opportunities of an accelerated transition to an inevitable low-carbon economy, it could, and should, get another electoral drubbing.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/fry...nment-gets-into-a-pickle-20190410-p51cpv.html
Frydenberg looks ridiculous as government gets into a pickle
Of course, there is plenty to see here. The government’s electoral strategy based on the budget is to exploit the perception that it's a better economic manager. The “back in black” slogan is fundamental to this. Unfortunately for the Coalition, this is old politics – it will no longer be the key electoral differentiator.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...l-brand-is-damaged-goods-20181205-p50kau.html
A directionless, self-obsessed rabble: Liberal brand is damaged goods
The reality is that the Liberal brand is damaged. The party is now characterised by disunity and disloyalty, by tribalism, not by principle or policy but by personal interests – not even party interests and certainly not the national interest.
While Labor is becoming increasingly arrogant and confident about winning, and perhaps seeing a DLP-type split in the Liberal Party, its greatest fear is that the Liberals will reunite and dump Morrison for Julie Bishop a couple of months before the election.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...-blame-turnbull-for-loss-20181024-p50bl9.html
Coalition wrong to blame Turnbull for loss
There is little point in changing the jockey if it is the horse that’s crook. Shifting from Tony Abbott to Malcolm Turnbull to Scott Morrison certainly hasn’t made much difference to the declining electoral fortunes of the Liberal Party. Indeed, the self-absorbed contests between these three men have been a significant further negative, on top of the electorate’s loss of faith and confidence in them due to policy drift and failure to govern.

Jesus Christ how wrong can one person be on all things politics? LOL. More Fairfax and ABC "independence" - one of their favourites on Gruen and Q&A.

Salty Patricia Karvelas attacking Jane Hume on ABC News this afternoon. Saying that she was being dishonest, lying, and had run a scare campaign on Labor's death taxes. Jane calmly used facts to demolish Patricia's assertion, confirming that in fact it was ACTU chief Sally McManus that supports death taxes, that it was part of the ACTU's economic agenda, and that the ACTU has much sway over Labor. Patricia still kept biting. Jane calmly said that she had never said Labor had such a policy but pointed out this reality.

Also, Patricia may want to reflect on the fact that recently, Labor DID enter into an agreement to govern with the Greens and it is part of the Green platform, and ALSO Bill Shorten REPEATEDLY said throughout the campaign that capital needs to be taxed more. Further, Labor simply saying something is not planned - carbon tax anyone - doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't be introduced, especially when all other indicators point to Labor being in support of such a proposal.

More ABC bias.

Salty Patricia Karvelas attacking Jane Hume on ABC News this afternoon. Saying that she was being dishonest, lying, and had run a scare campaign on Labor's death taxes. Jane calmly used facts to demolish Patricia's assertion, confirming that in fact it was ACTU chief Sally McManus that supports death taxes, that it was part of the ACTU's economic agenda, and that the ACTU has much sway over Labor. Patricia still kept biting. Jane calmly said that she had never said Labor had such a policy but pointed out this reality.

Also, Patricia may want to reflect on the fact that recently, Labor DID enter into an agreement to govern with the Greens and it is part of the Green platform, and ALSO Bill Shorten REPEATEDLY said throughout the campaign that capital needs to be taxed more. Further, Labor simply saying something is not planned - carbon tax anyone - doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't be introduced, especially when all other indicators point to Labor being in support of such a proposal.

More ABC bias.
She has had previous issues before when you can tell that there is some coalition hate there and she is showing signs of it despite her best efforts to try and pretend she is an impartial.

She has had previous issues before when you can tell that there is some coalition hate there and she is showing signs of it despite her best efforts to try and pretend she is an impartial.

Yep. Not yet skilled enough to mask it. Came off as really pathetically childish this afternoon.

If only the Liberal campaign was as successful as you furnishing this thread.

You are so desperate to find bias aren't you? May as well compare to any opinion writer, say Bolt or Rita?

Actually, I know they are so don't need to be desperate enough to keep searching like you.

No major media organisation in Australia is biassed to the left, and none ever has been.

It's as simple as that.

Fairfax so lefty :drunk:

Yes, the press that answers to Costello as a board member and employs Neil Mitchell is an alp mouthpiece.

GS's victim complex is hilarious :tearsofjoy:

I’m referring to you complete inability to prove the central point you’re trying to make, and having to read every other poster dunking on you.

Hey guys, I'm sure one of you would have seen MediaWatch this week - care to comment on the findings of their audit?

https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/election/11130218

https://theconversation.com/outrage...ustralian-media-need-better-regulation-117401

An audit of metropolitan newspaper front pages by Media Watch showed a heavy anti-Labor bias by News Corp papers, and a roughly equivalent – but less strident – pro-Labor bias by the old Fairfax (now Nine) newspapers, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.

Now what makes me laugh (aside from the fact all of you can't see something blatantly obvious) about MediaWatch's report on this is that ALL the emphasis is placed on the News rags even though an EQUIVALENT bias was found in Fairfax papers towards Labor. The DIFFERENCE is that News GENUINELY reflected the public sentiment out there, whereas Fairfax's Labor puff pieces were more OUT OF STEP with what was genuinely happening in the country. So why did the ABC not place greater emphasis on Fairfax's distorting bias?

Also, that Fairfax's pro Labor puff pieces were dressed up as NEWS is trickier bias as it seeks to subversively swing opinion by presenting an alternate reality. Whereas News' headlines are more typical of their robust or "strident" reaction to any issue.

I mean, you guys are so quick to retort about studies whenever someone mentions bias on the ABC or Fairfax and now there was radio silence all week when your ABC found massive pro-Labor bias at Fairfax EVEN WHEN you know you have been attacking me the entire campaign for calling this out. Shame on you.

tenor.gif

This is one impressive, long, ongoing meltdown.

Mofra, just focus on the fact below, and maybe apologise if you're man enough?

An audit of metropolitan newspaper front pages by Media Watch showed a roughly equivalent pro-Labor bias by the old Fairfax (now Nine) newspapers, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mofra, just focus on the fact below, and maybe apologise if you're man enough?
Apologise for what? I'm sorry you're having a tantrum?

What's funny is that MediaWatch found the EQUIVALENT prevalance of bias in Fairfax - and yet it is barely mentioned anywhere! And everyone here told me NO bias exists, let alone bias that MATCHES NEWSCORP!

You said I had a victim complex. I quoted the post for you above.
And you've proven me correct.

You're playing the victim to convince us you don't have a victim complex by acting personally victimised that 20% of the Australian media is less biased to the left than 70% of the Australian media is biased to the right (the ABC, of course, being in the centre as per numerous studies show, now that you suddenly believe studies).

Great strategy :thumbsu:

Ha, right. Enjoy the ABC confirming that I was correct that Fairfax is as heavily biased pro-Labor as NewsCorp is pro-Liberal. :thumbsu: :cool:

An audit of metropolitan newspaper front pages by Media Watch showed a heavy anti-Labor bias by News Corp papers, and a roughly equivalent – but less strident – pro-Labor bias by the old Fairfax (now Nine) newspapers, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.
This bit:

but less strident
You either have comprehension issues, or are outright lying. I don't really care which, I'm not emotionally invested as you obviously are.

This bit:

You either have comprehension issues, or are outright lying. I don't really care which, I'm not emotionally invested as you obviously are.

Neither. I already addressed that point above. Not sure it's me with the comprehension issue...

Anyways, ABC found Fairfax had just as many pro-Labor front pages as NewsCorp had pro-Lib front pages. Rudd/leftie conspiracy theory smashed. Good work ABC. :thumbsu:

Also, that Fairfax's pro Labor puff pieces were dressed up as NEWS is trickier bias as it seeks to subversively swing opinion by presenting an alternate reality. Whereas News' headlines are more typical of their robust or "strident" reaction to any issue.

Hey guys, I'm sure one of you would have seen MediaWatch this week - care to comment on the findings of their audit?
Not really leave the media bias queries to you. Good job:thumbsu:

I have the ability to see through it and laugh, not as obsessed about it as you.

https://www.smh.com.au/federal-elec...d-the-aspirational-voter-20190530-p51sqq.html

The Coalition parties cannot claim an overwhelming victory. The latest count shows their two-party vote was 6.3 million, putting them about 400,000 ahead of Labor. The margin when Rudd won was about 650,000. It was more than 900,000 when Tony Abbott won in 2013.

lol if anything these numbers show how big the Coalition's victory this time was! Rudd and Abbott were LANDSLIDES, of course this isn't as big, but very respectable compared with Rudd.

At least David Crowe is showing some signs of brain engagement this time.

Voters knew what they wanted. Whether it was a tax cut, a commuter car-park or a sense that Christian values would be secured, they chose the side that reflected their beliefs and aspirations.

I mean, before the election, he was telling us voters wanted to vote for Bill Shorten because he cried at a press conference. :rolleyes::drunk:

I'm liking the fact Fairfax is now putting extra emphasis in highlighting what pieces are opinion. Clearly labelled, grey colour scheme, and italics font used. They did this for a short while a few months ago before quickly reverting back to normal.

For too long they've had opinion pieces from Crowe, Hartcher but especially the old left cheerleaders Ross Gittins and Tony Wright, mixed in as top headlines with other hard news, no way of distinguishing their biased opinions from what was actually proper news.

It's this that gave everyone the sense that Labor was on the verge of a landslide. Biased presentation of news.

1559274987698.png
1559275003478.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back