Fairfax (now Nine) and other left-wing media bias in Australian political coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Albanese not going full steam ahead with a leftie agenda quick enough for Tony Wright. Outcome? He might become -shock- Kim Beazley, who lost an election -shock- twice!! Erm, let's just forget Bill Shorten lost 2 elections and still has leadership ambitions, and instead attack the guy who has been in the job less than a week and is trying to show some humility and respect to the Australian people after the loss.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...eing-the-new-kim-beazley-20190530-p51suu.html

We are going to hasten slowly, said Anthony Albanese, somewhere about 15 minutes into the first of his several public utterances for the day.

It was possible to reflect on another former leader of the Labor opposition, Kim Beazley, who hastened so slowly with so many words he became the most practised opposition leader – twice.

I especially love that Fairfax went full NYT last week and decided to become the main "opposition" to the government by launching a "campaign" (how lowbrow NewsCorp!!) about Indigenous issues. Obviously Fairfax has realised the writing is on the wall for Labor, it will never win government with the far left agenda that sustains Fairfax's online left-wing clickbait, so it's going it alone!

Albanese not going full steam ahead with a leftie agenda quick enough for Tony Wright. Outcome? He might become -shock- Kim Beazley, who lost an election -shock- twice!! Erm, let's just forget Bill Shorten lost 2 elections and still has leadership ambitions, and instead attack the guy who has been in the job less than a week and is trying to show some humility and respect to the Australian people after the loss.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...eing-the-new-kim-beazley-20190530-p51suu.html

We are going to hasten slowly, said Anthony Albanese, somewhere about 15 minutes into the first of his several public utterances for the day.

It was possible to reflect on another former leader of the Labor opposition, Kim Beazley, who hastened so slowly with so many words he became the most practised opposition leader – twice.

That is clearly labelled 'opinion'.

You excluded these 'opinion' articles from your analysis when posters pointed out they were published from a LNP POV.

That is clearly labelled 'opinion'.

You excluded these 'opinion' articles from your analysis when posters pointed out they were published from a LNP POV.

Ofc it's opinion lol. I didn't say otherwise. I literally posted yesterday about how it is good they are making more solid efforts to highlight what is opinion versus news.

What I find funny is that all their regular, day to day political opinion writers seem to come up with the same left-wing opinions lol.

Ofc it's opinion lol. I didn't say otherwise. I literally posted yesterday about how it is good they are making more solid efforts to highlight what is opinion versus news.

What I find funny is that all their regular, day to day political opinion writers seem to come up with the same left-wing opinions lol.
So an 'opinion' article from the left is evidence of bias, but an 'opinion' article from the right is excluded from any discussion of bias.

You just can't sustain your argument.

So an 'opinion' article from the left is evidence of bias, but an 'opinion' article from the right is excluded from any discussion of bias.

You just can't sustain your argument.

Dude - I'm simply talking about a Fairfax article I read this morning and this was the most relevant thread. Don't be so leftie literal all the time.

But in terms of your point about opinion pieces and bias, then please re-refer to my post you just quoted where I said "What I find funny is that all their regular, day to day political opinion writers seem to come up with the same left-wing opinions lol. "

Dude - I'm simply talking about a Fairfax article I read this morning and this was the most relevant thread. Don't be so leftie literal all the time.

But in terms of your point about opinion pieces and bias, then please re-refer to my post you just quoted where I said "What I find funny is that all their regular, day to day political opinion writers seem to come up with the same left-wing opinions lol. "
It's your thread. And it's not going well.

How is that article an example of left wing media bias. I thought it was rather unflattering of Labor and Albanese.

I even agree his first speech was rather long winded and commented on here about it.

The poster below has noticed how nonsensical this thread is.

Oh wow. Major embarrassment for Labor today with this Bevan Shields exclusive.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...ed-annika-smethurst-leak-20190608-p51vrs.html

Correspondence shows Labor demanded an investigation into classified Annika Smethurst leak

Labor demanded an investigation into the leaking of "highly classified national security information" to the journalist whose home was this week raided by the Australian Federal Police, in a revelation that could blunt the opposition's assault on the government over press freedom.

Correspondence obtained by The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age shows shadow attorney-general Mark Dreyfus wrote to Malcolm Turnbull in 2018 to urge the then prime minister to convene an investigation into how secret government documents were leaked to senior News Corp reporter Annika Smethurst.

"I am sure I do not need to emphasise with you the gravity of such a security breach," Mr Dreyfus wrote.

"The documents described in the media appear to be extremely sensitive and divulge information about one of Australia’s key security agencies.

"It is therefore incumbent on you to establish an investigation into how such sensitive information held by members of your government was able to find its way into the public domain.

"Ensuring this sort of breach cannot occur again is vital for securing the trust that Australians place in governments on matters of national security."

While Mr Dreyfus argued in his letter that the leak was a national security matter, he this week said Smethurst's April 2018 report did not threaten national security.

On Thursday, he told ABC radio: "What is it about Australia’s national security – this is the question the government has to answer – what is it about Australia’s national security that is so threatened by a public discussion of a proposal to allow the Australian Signals Directorate for the first time to spy on Australians?"

In a separate interview on the same day, he said: "I don’t accept that there is some national security reason there for not discussing it."

The poster below has noticed how nonsensical this thread is.

Ha I knew you would mention this - Fairfax is a commercial organisation - it is not going to sit on an exclusive it has. That's different to a constant left-wing spin permeating every editorial, opinion piece and news layout/emphasis.

Glad you agree how bad this looks for Labor. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leaves a huge, gaping market niche between your imaginary "left of centre audience" and the Murdochian hard right dingbat market.

Big investment chance, comrade.

Well looking at the result this election, I think Murdoch soaks up the hard right AND the centre, hehe. ;)

Here's Jacqueline Maley again on her feminist crusade.

She could be writing an article about lentils and still find a way to insert something about wombs and feminism in there.

Starts off normal enough, talking about the ABC raids etc. Then veers into hard left nutcase territory.

Jacqueline is sallll-tay. Hahahah.

AFP raids add to picture of a Morrison government emboldened

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...on-government-emboldened-20190607-p51vkq.html

Meanwhile, freedom of the press, reproductive freedom, and even, in the case of asylum seekers, freedom of movement and freedom from detention without trial, are dismissed as the concerns of the elites.
In the weeks since the election it has become fashionable to dismiss all who are concerned with the government’s agenda (or lack of it) as sore losers or as ivory tower dwellers who have no idea how tough “real” people are doing it.

Consider the way Prime Minister Scott Morrison rejected outright questions over abortion law as unsuitable for discussion during an election - as though there was something unseemly about wombs, and who gets dominion over them.

The ABC and Leigh Sales frothed up like idiots at Budget time about the Libs forecasting a surplus for next year. Turns out we will actually record a surplus this year and that the Libs were too conservative in their estimates.

You'd think given the emphasis placed on the Libs being "tricky" on this issue back in April, Leigh may have addressed this last night in her interview with the PM?

Not a chance. Left wing media bias clear for all to see.
Government moves closer to first surplus since GFC

The Morrison government has balanced the budget and is on the brink of delivering the first surplus since the global financial crisis, a year ahead of schedule.

Are you using a positive article about the government from the SMH in your thread about the SMH being biased against the government?

Oh sorry, you're confusing basic fact with "positive". And, a basic fact that, considering it disproved the very LOUD noise about the Libs being tricky back in April at Budget time, was very quietly published on Fairfax platforms yesterday without much emphasis....

giphy.gif

I often say Fairfax carries very biased left-wing coverage (in contravention of its stated "Independent. Always." goal), and am often shouted down here.

We need to analyse this issue further. I will be doing so and invite others to in this thread.

Take, for example, the main headline on SMH at the moment "Breaking. Morrison caught lying."

What's the basis for this screaming headline in the middle of an election campaign? Oh that's right, just the shadow Treasurer saying it:

Mr Bowen said that Mr Morrison had been caught "lying" about the Labor policies.
https://www.smh.com.au/federal-elec...-387-billion-tax-costing-20190412-p51dl7.html

What's the small print?
The $387 billion estimate is the Coalition's total based on Treasury estimates of policies including changes to negative gearing, dividend imputation and family trusts.
The $387 billion figure is very close to the total for Labor's own cost estimates for its policies.
"Treasury received requests from the Treasurer’s office outlining a number of policies to be costed. The requests made no reference to the opposition," the spokesman said.
"The relevant policy officers costed these proposals and provided this analysis to the Treasurer’s office prior to the commencement of the caretaker period."
Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Friday that the "Treasury costings" revealed $387 billion in higher taxes under Labor

So, PM/Treasurer asked for policies to be costed as is normal. PM used the total of those costings to estimate that taxes would be $387 billion higher under Labor than they would be under the Coalition if they were elected and implemented their policies. This figure accords with Labor's own estimates. End result? Screaming headline branding the PM a liar.

Seriously, this is such shoddily sub-par journalism from the SMH.

View attachment 653086
Lol, what a joke. Murdoch has a monopoly on news in Australia and now the ABC is being bullied to put RWNJs on their staff and Q and A . Thanks Murdoch for all your wolf-whistling and bigotry. Op, give me a break please.

The ABC and Leigh Sales frothed up like idiots at Budget time about the Libs forecasting a surplus for next year. Turns out we will actually record a surplus this year and that the Libs were too conservative in their estimates.

You'd think given the emphasis placed on the Libs being "tricky" on this issue back in April, Leigh may have addressed this last night in her interview with the PM?

The Morrison government has balanced the budget and is on the brink of delivering the first surplus since the global financial crisis, a year ahead of schedule.
Again that is total rubbish, there was no surplus this year it's called fake news and you are a carrier of fake news.Any chance of any facts on this thread or are we in a post truth era?

Hang on, I thought that the ABC could be relied upon a few pages back, when they proved a left wing slant in Fairfax. So, which is it; was Fairfax's coverage of the election slanted towards left leaning voters, or can we not trust the ABC when they inform us about political matters? It can't be both, you can't pick and choose.

Hang on, I thought that the ABC could be relied upon a few pages back, when they proved a left wing slant in Fairfax. So, which is it; was Fairfax's coverage of the election slanted towards left leaning voters, or can we not trust the ABC when they inform us about political matters? It can't be both, you can't pick and choose.

Fairfax's coverage of the election was slanted towards left leaning voters, and, as their overwhelming emphasis put on NewsCorp's support of the Coalition in that episode shows, you can't trust the ABC to fairly and in a balanced way inform us on political matters (otherwise just as much emphasis would have been placed on Fairfax's bias, something genuinely new that HASN'T been covered repetitively for years).

Like, it's pretty simple stuff. I'm not out here claiming programs like MediaWatch are broadcasting outright LIES - of course you can trust an objective tally of front page support that MediaWatch does of Fairfax.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back