Fake Crowd Noise on 'Empty Stadium' telecasts -- yeah why not?

Would you be in favour of fake crowd noise on the televised 'empty stadium' AFL games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Whenever the empty stands were shown with the canned crowd noise playing in the NRL telecasts it was jarring to say the least, particularly when the intensity of the cheering and applauding was heightened. It's going to be a far far greater challenge for the camera operators to select the right angles and the sound controller to pick the right volumes to make for a half way believable broadcast.

I suspect one of the reasons the NRL broadcasters did it so well is that they have been cutting in body impact sounds for years. They are already skilled.

I have strong feeling that channel 7 in particular are going to stuff this up royally

NRL did an amazing job with that.

Whoever was in charge of putting the fake crowd noise on...hats off.

As someone else said, I suspect they have had a fair bit of practice...

Whether they have faked the noise or are just better at distributing microphones throughout the stadium, Channel 9 have always done a far better job of conveying atmosphere for the NRL than C7 manage with the AFL. C7 manage to make 80k people at the MCG sound like a monk retreat, C9 manage to make small NRL crowds sound raucous.

Ray Warren helps of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone else said, I suspect they have had a fair bit of practice...

Whether they have faked the noise or are just better at distributing microphones throughout the stadium, Channel 9 have always done a far better job of conveying atmosphere for the NRL than C7 manage with the AFL. C7 manage to make 80k people at the MCG sound like a monk retreat, C9 manage to make small NRL crowds sound raucous.

Bang...spot on.

I suspect one of the reasons the NRL broadcasters did it so well is that they have been cutting in body impact sounds for years. They are already skilled.

I have strong feeling that channel 7 in particular are going to stuff this up royally
Could backfire and make the atmosphere flatter
There are no crowds which is a shame don't worsen it by having it contrived. Would just echo around the g

Fake crowd noise is good - the highlight of the game.
The rugby league is bad - pick up ball, crash into a wall, do a little fairy kick back, pick up ball, crash into a wall....
At least rugby union has a little more variation even if it's impossible to understand the rules
One of the reasons Rugby Union is failing in Australia is it's lack of variation. Along with being tediously over officiated, slow in comparison to Rugby League and confusing to the uninitiated.

One of the reasons Rugby Union is failing in Australia is it's lack of variation. Along with being tediously over officiated, slow in comparison to Rugby League and confusing to the uninitiated.
Wouldn't be too upset if they both disappeared to be honest

Back