Falou signs with w sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Very exciting news. Hopefully both him and campaigner will be able to live up to the expectations, though either way it is a massive win for the AFL over the NRL.

He certainly has the size, as well as proven his ability to work hard to make it at the elite level, but as with Hunt it will be interesting to see how he goes with the skills and structures of the game.

Great, the AFL is turning into a bloody circus. These two new teams are turning the entire competition into a massive joke with their recruitment and subsequent massive payments to people that have never played the game. I hope these two new artificial constructs fail miserably.

I hope Sheedy knows what he's doing. If he's right, this is a stroke of genius. If he's wrong, it's an expensive blunder.

It's a totally different skill set; but he is an elite athlete. And he has time on his side - still plenty of time before 2012 to learn the finer points of his new game.
And as a marquee signing, he gives the team a high-profile name - and although he represented Queensland in State of Origin, he was born in Campbelltown, in GWS territory.

Even bigger get than gold coast getting campaigner.

Both massive signings if true though.

Will be very exciting to watch, and I for one wanna see them do well.

Whilst the AFL should be congratulated for drumming up support in Western Sydney/Gold Coast by having the likes of Falou and Hunt sign up for the two new clubs, I think if really smacks of arrogance.

Arrogance because it's ignoring the amazing talent that is running around in state league competitions, especially the VFL and ignoring these guys who really deserve a shot at being full-time footballers.

There are plenty of Barlow and Podsiadly like players out there, they are just waiting to be discovered.

Awesome news! GWS has its first official player! :thumbsu:

Great, the AFL is turning into a bloody circus. These two new teams are turning the entire competition into a massive joke with their recruitment and subsequent massive payments to people that have never played the game. I hope these two new artificial constructs fail miserably.

Yeah, good thing this thread was on the main board instead of on the team board of one of these constructs that you hate, otherwise I'd suspect you of trolling... oh wait. :rolleyes:

Whilst the AFL should be congratulated for drum up supports by having the likes of Falou and Hunt sign up for the two new clubs, I think if really smacks of arrogance.

Arrogance because it's ignoring the amazing talent that is running around in state league competitions, especially the VFL and ignoring these guys who realy deserves a shot at being full-time footballers.

There are plenty of Barlow and Podsiadly like players out there, they are just waiting to be discovered.
The story of mature age recruits such as Barlow and Podsiadly has been one of the good stories of this season - and I agree, there are plenty more quality players in state leagues who, given the chance at AFL level, would make a good fist of it.

Folau is one player, and over the next two years as Gold Coast FC and GWS come into the AFL, two complete lists will need to be built. And, although a lot of young players will come in from the TAC Cup, neither team will be stacked exclusively with 17 year olds.
And with Gold Coast FC and GWS having the bulk of early draft picks in the next few years, the other clubs will need to cast their nets wider to find players - and the state leagues will be one of their targets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like most people I guess it is exciting but even so I hope most of the money is AFL money not GWS. He is untested at the game and will probably have to drop 10kg to get the run he will need to change from the elite power athlete that he is. Don't really care about impact on NRL. Is an asset or a liability?

Born in western Sydney with alure to the polynesian community and a great athlete. We know he can catch and run but can he kick and make position. Only time will tell.

I hope it is not a gimmick but cannot help feel for the boys who have slugged it out in juniors, through TPP squads and into senior football. As long as they are looked after who cares about his background

I think an important thing to remember is that the 2 new teams, GC and GWS are both being set up in NRL territory. Trying to set up teams with players from the VFL, no matter how good, is not going to make the impact they need for long term success. Fans of AFL already will appreciate it, but these teams need to turn NRL fans into AFL fans, and it is a very hard thing to do. This kind of thing will help. It is a lot of money to throw at a player, but if you think about how much money the AFL would have to spend in advertising and promotional stuff to get NRL fans along to games to support a new AFL team with players they don't know, it isn't a bad idea.

NRL fans will watch out of interest to see how the players will go. I know if the NRL started up a new team and Franklin went to play for them, id tune in to have a look. And im not even a Hawks fan.

Very big get, hopefully he turns out to be a star for you guys.

I hope so too, would be great..Im moving to Sydney soon for work so would be great to watch him train and play..I hope he can make the transition. I think Hunt having had a little more exposure to the game (played at school as a junior) will have more of a head start. good luck to both of them and well done to the afl i say.:)

Whilst the AFL should be congratulated for drum up supports by having the likes of Falou and Hunt sign up for the two new clubs, I think if really smacks of arrogance.

Arrogance because it's ignoring the amazing talent that is running around in state league competitions, especially the VFL and ignoring these guys who realy deserves a shot at being full-time footballers.

The Gold Coast recruited 6 mature age players in Harris, Coad, Illes, Stanely, Ah Chee and Patrick last year and will take more this year. West Sydney will do the same. They are not recruiting NRL players at the expense of the state league players but in addition to the state league players.

I really think he has the talent base to make it. It was interesting to pykes comments that he actually thought falou was a better signing then hunt and would be more likely to make the transition.

So many interesting aspects at work. So many misunderstood.

You can say that again!

The number of people on the main board with no idea about the reality of footy in Sydney and the obstacles faced by kids who just want to play the game is unreal.

Hopefully this signing helps in the long process of legitimising the game for Sydney kids and that they have to put up with just a little bit less crap.

The fact that Channels 7 and 9 showed the presser live in Sydney says it all.

Well done GWS and the AFL :thumbsu:

I'd like to know who's coming up with the $6M?

I wouldn't mind betting that 90%+ of it is coming from the AFL's marketing budget. I read somewhere that for the first 3 years he'll work for the AFL also in some sort of promotional role. Probably paid $1.499M a year to have his scone on a few glossy posters / TV ads and to take the rubbish out on Monday nights.

Nice way to dodge the salary cap guys (or doesn't that even apply to these new "franchises").:rolleyes:

This is purely and simply a marketing stunt. Nothing more; nothing less.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back