Universal Love Notable family connections at the Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Everyone loves a family connection at an AFL club and I thought it would be fun to start a thread that details our club's history of family connections and discuss current family connections / potential future family connections. My only criteria would be that the person/s of topic must at least be a player, coach or admin staff member. The reason I point this out is because family connections are very common at the academy level yet most of those players will never make it to the top level. In this point I'm only going to include family members who were a part of the team at the same time so this obviously excludes combinations like the Tippetts and Wellers. Let's run it back to our very first AFL season and start with a famous brotherly combination:

The Ablett brothers - Gary Ablett Jr & Nathan Ablett (2011)

dA8pIcf.jpg

Gaz and Nath managed just one season together for us in 2011 and were able to line up alongside each other in the red & gold for two AFL games that year. It was a fairly uneventful pairing but Gary did handball to an open Nathan in the goal square to kick his one and only goal for us in round 23 of the 2011 season. Gary went on to play a further six seasons for us without Nathan. Special mention to Nathan as well because he was a part of our VFL team in 2010 but that obviously didn't include Gaz.

The Swallow brothers - David Swallow & Andrew Swallow (2019-2020)

XUW1hF4.jpg
Xsubmjp.jpg

Dave was of course our very first number 1 pick back in 2010 and has been with us for over 12 years now but the Melbourne media would have you believe he was always on the verge of joining his older brother Andrew at North Melbourne, even from the very beginning of Dave's career. Skip forward to 2016 and it was in fact Andrew who requested a trade to the Suns to join younger brother David at the Suns but North Melbourne rejected his request and stripped the captaincy off him for his final season with the Roos in 2017. We did consider picking up Andrew the following year but I believe he failed a medical test with us and we passed on him. Andrew then moved to Byron Bay and adjusted to retired life but just 12 months later we hired him to work as an assistant coach (tackling) as well as working with our newly established AFLW team in 2019. Andrew and Dave did two years together at the club with Andrew coaching and Dave playing but unfortunately Andrew was let go last year due to COVID cuts. Dave continues to captain our club to this day. Interestingly, the Swallow brothers did in fact play one game together for us in round 2 of the 2019 NEAFL season when Dave was returning from injury and Andrew was convinced to pull on the boots again. Andrew played seven games for our NEAFL team that year but only played the one game alongside younger brother Dave.

The Farrar cousins - Jy Farrar & Kitara Whap-Farrar (2020)

NWNYWqh.jpg

Neither Jy or Kitara were aware of their relation until they were drafted to our club in late 2019. Jy grew up in Halls Creek WA while Kitara hailed from Cairns QLD so they couldn't really have grown up further apart and yet both ended up on the Gold Coast and discover a cousin they never knew existed. The connection was short lived as Kitara was delisted after just one season with us in 2020 but Jy continues to play for us and had some good games in 2021 which should mean we see more of him in the future. I believe Kitara is still playing locally for Coolangatta so I'm sure the two cousins still catch up regularly.

The Levi sisters - Maddison Levi & Teagan Levi (2022-)

p6Cc9bl.jpg
86fxiA1.jpg

The latest addition to our family connection thread and both Gold Coast locals, Maddi & Teagan Levi have played and dominated many sports together for the last few years. Both were prodigious talents in rugby sevens and can obviously play Aussie rules at a high level as well. The sisters are both on our 2022 list but may not get to play together for another year due to Maddi's rugby commitments. Don't be surprised if both sisters end up playing for Australian rugby sevens team in the 2024 Paris Olympics.

Last edited:

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We'll likely get another family connection over the next month with Will Bella considered a good chance to join sister Lauren as an listed player at our club. Their uncle Martin also happens to be a very famous rugby league player.

Another to keep an eye on is Caleb Graham's younger brother Will who seems to be dominating at the academy level.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I am pretty sure Single's sister plays for Suns academy and she looks as good as he older sister.

There is some great talent in Suns girls academy by watching the game against Lions girls. Suns AFLW team should be killing it in a couple of years.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I am pretty sure Single's sister plays for Suns academy and she looks as good as he older sister.

There is some great talent in Suns girls academy by watching the game against Lions girls. Suns AFLW team should be killing it in a couple of years.
You're right. Jasmine Single is draft eligible in 2023 and is already dominating at the U17s level as a bottom ager. Seems she's a quick/evasive outside mid who can go forward and kick goals.

In terms of academy players coming through with family connections we have Lauren Bella's brother Will coming through this year, Jez McLennan's brother Louie draft eligible next year, Caleb Graham's younger brother Will draft eligible in 2023, former high performance manager Matthew Kennedy's son Joe draft eligible in 2024 (F/S eligible for Brisbane as well), academy coach Jason Torney's son Owen draft eligible in 2024 (F/S eligible for Richmond as well), former ruck coach Jeff White's son Kalani draft eligible in 2025 (F/S eligible for Melbourne as well) and current VFL coach Tate Kaesler's son Leroy draft eligible in 2026. Don't forget about Kai Rischitelli (draft eligible in 2031) either!

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Throughout the year I couldn't help but notice how many sons we currently have on our list whose fathers are former AFL players. Let's have a look.

Darcy MacPherson > Stephen MacPherson (188 games for the Bulldogs)
E2W61qO.jpg

Noah Anderson > Dean Anderson (83 games for the Hawks, 67 games for the Saints)
d3q3BUs.jpeg

Joel Jeffrey > Russell Jeffrey (42 games for the Saints, 8 games for the Bears)
bbXW38G.jpg

Elijah Hollands > Ben Hollands (8 games for Richmond)
6MTEdw9.jpg

Connor Budarick > Craig Budarick (On the Swans list/Played for Glenelg)
g1UzjHo.jpg

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Throughout the year I couldn't help but notice how many sons we currently have on our list whose fathers are former AFL players. Let's have a look.

Darcy MacPherson > Stephen MacPherson (188 games for the Bulldogs)
E2W61qO.jpg

Noah Anderson > Dean Anderson (83 games for the Hawks, 67 games for the Saints)
d3q3BUs.jpeg

Joel Jeffrey > Russell Jeffrey (42 games for the Saints, 8 games for the Bears)
bbXW38G.jpg

Elijah Hollands > Ben Hollands (8 games for Richmond)
6MTEdw9.jpg

Connor Budarick > Craig Budarick (On the Swans list/Played for Glenelg)
g1UzjHo.jpg

Don't forget the other connections.

Sam Day.
Ben King.
Lachie Weller.
Charlie Constable.

Elijah's maternal grandfather, Martin Cross was also a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back