Family Holidays

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi BF Travel Crew,

My partner and I are looking for a (as cheap as possible) holiday to somewhere warm. It must be a family friendly place with a pool and preferably beach. The kids when we travel would be 6 & 1.

Have been thinking Bali, Fiji, Gold Coast or Hamilton Island or something along those lines.

Anyone have any suggestions for 7-10 days please? Probably around October 2019.

Last edited:
Everyone knocks Bali, but it's popular for a reason. For the kind of trip you describe, it's hands down the best value going. Thailand or even Vietnam are other options.

Fiji is lovely but you can spend a lot of money getting there. I really like the Whitsundays, but if all you want is a resort on the beach then you'll spend a lot less money elsewhere.

Personally I hate the Gold Coast, would only go there if you were particularly keen on theme parks.

Hi BF Travel Crew,

My partner and I are looking for a (as cheap as possible) holiday to somewhere warm. It must be a family friendly place with a pool and preferably beach. The kids when we travel would be 6 & 1.

Have been thinking Bali, Fiji, Gold Coast or Hamilton Island or something along those lines.

We're in a similar situation and have considered a number of those. In the end we're going to Hawaii next year, despite it costing about double your Bali or Phuket trip.

Main reason being the missus is paranoid about our young kids getting 'Bali belly'. Plus I must admit, I've seen how the locals in Bali & Thailand, as friendly as they usually are, fuss over and get excited over young, blonde, white kids. Reckon it would make it harder to relax when out and about. First world problem, I know.

We're in a similar situation and have considered a number of those. In the end we're going to Hawaii next year, despite it costing about double your Bali or Phuket trip.

Main reason being the missus is paranoid about our young kids getting 'Bali belly'. Plus I must admit, I've seen how the locals in Bali & Thailand, as friendly as they usually are, fuss over and get excited over young, blonde, white kids. Reckon it would make it harder to relax when out and about. First world problem, I know.
We love Hawaii but well beyond our budget.
You should have a look at resorts in Nusa Dua in Bali. Great if you are happy to flop and drop and not fussed about experiencing local sights or culture.

Personally I like to be more culturally immersed but with a partner who doesn’t I can see us ending up at something like Nusa Dua.

We love Hawaii but well beyond our budget.
You should have a look at resorts in Nusa Dua in Bali. Great if you are happy to flop and drop and not fussed about experiencing local sights or culture.

Personally I like to be more culturally immersed but with a partner who doesn’t I can see us ending up at something like Nusa Dua.

Good point, we visited friends staying in Nusa Dua last time we were in Bali (without kids). Agree that it is a much more laid back area and a better option for young kids.

Hi BF Travel Crew,

How about Ballarat? Theres a choice motel there and the host is having a dishwasher installed shortly.

Hi BF Travel Crew,

I’ve only done Hamilton island (numerous times)
It is kid friendly, but the accomodation is either s**t or expensive.
I would not recommend it if you have a budget.

Even though we live in Perth we have never been to Bali and have no desire to. We have been to Hawaii and Fiji numerous times, but only have one kid.

You could look at some of the cruises. Look at for specials and you might get a great deal. We've found this the cheapest way to go to places like Fiji. You don't have to worry about paying for food, accommodation and entertainment. The kids clubs on these ships are great!

I have recently been to Singapore with the family, kids are 8 and 5. It's not the cheapest option around but its reasonably priced as long as you don't want to get on the beers.

It was really clean, weather was good, locals were friendly and really easy to get around especially their train system. Universal studios on Sentosa island would be great for your 6yo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back