"Family Reasons" will it become an overuse term?

Remove this Banner Ad

That didnt work for rockliff. Just had a kid and now shifted him and his partner half way accross the country further from her parents.

That could still be a 'family reason'.
Could be that if they didnt move away from the in-laws there would be no family lol

I think that's true. Generally speaking indigenous people seem to have an even tighter connection to family than other cultures.
I'm not trying to stereotype here, only working off what I've seen.

Its hard because both the family reasons and mental health thing can now be used as a cover for something else that is going on.
Its sad that we're questioning peoples motives because others lie about their reasoning.

Interesting regarding the indigenous boys, because most are not from the big cities anyway, so moving to there home state would still have them 100s of kms away from family.

Interesting regarding the indigenous boys, because most are not from the big cities anyway, so moving to there home state would still have them 100s of kms away from family.

I just think that culturally there is a much bigger focus on family.
I mean I'm not indigenous so I hope im not misrepresenting here but it seems they have a lot more pull from or gravitation to family than a lot of other guys, even if the distance between is still 100s of km (better than thousands)

Nothing wrong with leaving for money.

Why do people get so anal about players leaving for more money. Money makes the world go 'round, and we all need it?

I bet any of you would leave where you are working if you were going to get paid more somewhere else.

Maybe players have to concoct reasons, because the media and the public are immature about AFL players getting paid for doing their job. This isn't like getting money by illegal means. It is them providing entertainment which YOU choose to pay for, so you are helping them make this money, then complain about them making it.

Loyalty is a nice sentiment, but it doesn't always pay the bills.

Let me tell you about the situation I am in.

I am currently helping out with the family business, while helping my recently widowed mother. My late father handled all the finance and business, so she is at a loss at doing it herself. I feel as the eldest son, that it is my responsibility to be there for her and help out.

My point? If I were an AFL player interstate, I would have asked to "go home". Why? Because of the situation above.

What are players supposed to do, abandon their family when they need them, just to play football interstate?

Life isn't cut and dried. A whole bunch of situations pop up, and they need to be dealt with, not ignored, because a footy club and its supporters don't understand priorities.

I will tell you this. My family are No 1 priority. My focus is helping them while we deal with grief, keep the family business going, and help my mother to do the tasks that my dad once did, and she doesn't know how to do. And I would hope that a club is mature enough to understand that.

It is a bit rich how people are bagging players' disloyalty here, saying that they have a contract.

Guess what? Jake Stringer didn't ask to leave the Bulldogs, the club shafted him, despite him having a contract.

Maybe it isn't always the players who need to honor contracts, but clubs as well. Players can get traded out, despite having a contract, and most supporters hypocritically don't seem to care about a contracted star from another club coming to theirs.

So stop blaming the players all the time, when it happens both ways.

I am currently helping out with the family business, while helping my recently widowed mother. My late father handled all the finance and business, so she is at a loss at doing it herself. I feel as the eldest son, that it is my responsibility to be there for her and help out.

My point? If I were an AFL player interstate, I would have asked to "go home". Why? Because of the situation above.

What are players supposed to do, abandon their family when they need them, just to play football interstate?

Life isn't cut and dried. A whole bunch of situations pop up, and they need to be dealt with, not ignored, because a footy club and its supporters don't understand priorities.

I will tell you this. My family are No 1 priority. My focus is helping them while we deal with grief, keep the family business going, and help my mother to do the tasks that my dad once did, and she doesn't know how to do. And I would hope that a club is mature enough to understand that.

If its that big that you cant get drafted 40 min flight away, get a real job close to your family.
Part of entering the AFL system is knowing that you might play in one of 5 states. If you cant handle moving, dont nominate for the draft.
Become a tradie then you can be with your family every day.

It is a bit rich how people are bagging players' disloyalty here, saying that they have a contract.

Guess what? Jake Stringer didn't ask to leave the Bulldogs, the club shafted him, despite him having a contract.

Maybe it isn't always the players who need to honor contracts, but clubs as well. Players can get traded out, despite having a contract, and most supporters hypocritically don't seem to care about a contracted star from another club coming to theirs.

So stop blaming the players all the time, when it happens both ways.

Players CAN NOT be traded without their consent while in contract.
So in reality the club cant shaft ANYONE that is under contract.

This is part of the problem.
Players hold all the cards, when under contract or out of contract or free agent.
Until clubs have the power to send a player to a team of the clubs choice, then we'll have players demanding a move for whatever reason they like.

Gotta love family reasons

There will be a few that will say it like it is that I have zero loyalty and couldn't give a toss about anything but the money

I'd like to hear more truth
Bernard Tomic tried this honest approach and got ripped from pillar to post.

*not a fan, he's a tosser of the highest order but when he said he's bored with tennis and he'll just play 10 years to set himself up for life, IMO that's ok.

You can ask, but if you are in contract they arent obliged to comply. Just as a player isnt obliged to agree to a trade that might be beneficial for both clubs involved.

Players and clubs are loyal to the duration of their contracts.

Things will change when the AFL can finally get the power of trading into the hands of the clubs not the players, which will happen, but probably not for another 3-4 EBA's.

Once clubs can trade players anywhere they want, like MLB or the NBA, then it will make things a whole lot more interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If its that big that you cant get drafted 40 min flight away, get a real job close to your family.

A 40 minute flight that winds up actually taking hours from door step to door step. No sense in downplaying the reality of it here. Why does a guy with footballing talent need to get a “real job”? No club owns an individual’s talent. It’s not like there aren’t clubs in almost every state willing to pay handsomely for it. Sounds kinda silly.

I think there are 2 actual technical meaning to the words "family reasons" in AFL trading:
1. Actual family reasons eg. significant illness or death to family members, significant homesickness causing mental illnesses etc.
2. Cover-up "family reasons" where the main factor is to do with anything else EXCEPT reasons of family eg. money/chances of premiership/increasing media attention etc.

If it's actual family reasons, then of course I don't think anyone would object for them to get back home where the family is. However, if it's cover-up "family reasons" then where do we draw a line between "yeah you want extra money, but you had family reasons", and "you're a greedy money low-life". Maybe it's very hard for the general public to know how much is actual and how much is cover-up "family reasons", that's why players are using this term more and more?

Will we ever accept a time where a player says the truth "yeah I miss my mom, but * yeah I needed the extra cash!"

You can ask, but if you are in contract they arent obliged to comply. Just as a player isnt obliged to agree to a trade that might be beneficial for both clubs involved.

Players and clubs are loyal to the duration of their contracts.

Funny how clubs talk about wanting players to honor contracts, yet many clubs have sacked coaches who still have a year or two on their contract.

Funnier how clubs often do this when the media and supporters want the coach sacked, not caring that the coach still has time on his contract.

It's something I think can only be judged on a case by case basis. The Lever deal sounds like bullshit considering it was only ever Melbourne linked to the deal, and the things said throughout the year by Lever.

On the other hand, if you look at Judd or Danger, etc then I believe that. Those blokes gave everything they could to their previous clubs.

This. I think there are legitimate cases where going home would work for player (or player and family/wife/kids).

But then you get the player who wants to move home for family reasons but will only got to 1 out of 9 clubs.

Then it's bullshit, and makes you doubt the legitimate cases.

Look, stuff like this emphasises to me what I have suspected for a long time.

That many sports fans only care about players when they play football. Outside of that, fans don't really care about these people, and what might be going on in their lives.

Depression, homesickness and other things are dismissed as excuses. Players are vilified for making the most money they can from their job, which any of you would not have a problem striking if you didn't get a payrise.

Just admit that you don't really care about these players as people, and that, as long as they cater to your demands, then they have some use to you.

Players have problems like anyone else. Why should getting paid more than you mean that they don't deserve genuine sympathy or empathy when warranted?

(I wonder how many of you thought during Jarrad Roughhead's cancer battle, that he was "wimping it")?

It has just been reported on SEN that Gary Ablett jr's sister has just died, and the indication is that it was suicide.

Rumors have been around for a while that it was his sister that Ablett was coming home for.

But yeah, most of you probably still think that he is coming home for money.

I hope that anyone who has bagged Gazza as being greedy and selfish for wanting to leave, and anyone here who think that "family reasons" are NEVER legitimate, are ashamed of yourselves.

i hope that Gold Coast show compassion, and do the trade for him to get back to Geelong ASAP.

It has just been reported on SEN that Gary Ablett jr's sister has just died, and the indication is that it was suicide.

Rumors have been around for a while that it was his sister that Ablett was coming home for.

But yeah, most of you probably still think that he is coming home for money.

I hope that anyone who has bagged Gazza as being greedy and selfish for wanting to leave, and anyone here who think that "family reasons" are NEVER legitimate, are ashamed of yourselves.

i hope that Gold Coast show compassion, and do the trade for him to get back to Geelong ASAP.

I think everybody needs to play nice here. This is not Gold Coast's fault.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back