"Family Reasons" will it become an overuse term?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think everybody needs to play nice here. This is not Gold Coast's fault.

Play nice? Really mate? There's an entire thread bagging Ablett for wanting to come home due to family reasons. People saying it's bullshit and he only wants to come back due to the Gold Coast being s**t. Did everyone play nice in that thread?

Play nice? Really mate? There's an entire thread bagging Ablett for wanting to come home due to family reasons. People saying it's bullshit and he only wants to come back due to the Gold Coast being s**t. Did everyone play nice in that thread?

I don't really want to engage because this is so tragic but nothing has stopped Gaz from coming home. He's set up financially. He's even been forward-paid for most of this contract. His desire to continue playing football is what has stopped him coming home and that's fine, but his choice. He also had the choice to retire and come home.

I don't really want to engage because this is so tragic but nothing has stopped Gaz from coming home. He's set up financially. He's even been forward-paid for most of this contract. His desire to continue playing football is what has stopped him coming home and that's fine, but his choice. He also had the choice to retire and come home.

He has been trying to get a trade for the last two years. So whats your point.

This year, he was always going to either a) get a trade to Geelong or b) retire.

And believe it or not, in this century, a few million dollars doesn't set someone up for life.

This year, he was always going to either a) get a trade to Geelong or b) retire.

And believe it or not, in this century, a few million dollars doesn't set someone up for life.

Righto, not going to engage with Geelong supporters acting like spoilt dicks with their tongues out saying "told you so".

Condolences to the Ablett family. I hope someone's looking out for the other members of the family struggling with mental illness.

Righto, not going to engage with Geelong supporters acting like spoilt dicks with their tongues out saying "told you so".

Condolences to the Ablett family. I hope someone's looking out for the other members of the family struggling with mental illness.
no one is saying i told you so. and you engaged enough when you implied that it is his responsibility to come home earlier because he has been well paid.

Homesickness is rubbish in probably 90% of cases. If you were truly homesick, you'd be prepared to move for the same or less money, to wherever you could get.

Tex got hauled over the coals this week, but all his 'success' comment did was distract from him having the balls to call Lever on his bullshit.

But it was alright when everyone poachers our players for 'family reasons'. Albeit we have been a little lucky to recover some losses with D Beams and maybe cameron.

Your culture was s**t then though, less so now and the drain has slowes down.

Nothing wrong with leaving for money.

Why do people get so anal about players leaving for more money. Money makes the world go 'round, and we all need it?

I bet any of you would leave where you are working if you were going to get paid more somewhere else.

Maybe players have to concoct reasons, because the media and the public are immature about AFL players getting paid for doing their job. This isn't like getting money by illegal means. It is them providing entertainment which YOU choose to pay for, so you are helping them make this money, then complain about them making it.

Loyalty is a nice sentiment, but it doesn't always pay the bills.

Then as the ones who pay them we are perfectly entitled to criticise them. :rainbow:

It is a bit rich how people are bagging players' disloyalty here, saying that they have a contract.

Guess what? Jake Stringer didn't ask to leave the Bulldogs, the club shafted him, despite him having a contract.

Maybe it isn't always the players who need to honor contracts, but clubs as well. Players can get traded out, despite having a contract, and most supporters hypocritically don't seem to care about a contracted star from another club coming to theirs.

So stop blaming the players all the time, when it happens both ways.

Stringer is literally the worst example you could come up with here. Not only can the Dogs not force a trade for him, but their actions in seeking one are completely justified due to his lack of professionalism.

(I wonder how many of you thought during Jarrad Roughhead's cancer battle, that he was "wimping it")?

The fact you went here says more about you than anyone else in this thread. :thumbsdown:

By most estimations, this family issue has been on the cards for many years, and one would assume his move up to the GCS had the family's blessing. I would say building his career was a reasonable goal that he attained, and now things have taken their own course and he should come home to finish hus career.

Look, stuff like this emphasises to me what I have suspected for a long time.

That many sports fans only care about players when they play football. Outside of that, fans don't really care about these people, and what might be going on in their lives.

Depression, homesickness and other things are dismissed as excuses. Players are vilified for making the most money they can from their job, which any of you would not have a problem striking if you didn't get a payrise.

Just admit that you don't really care about these players as people, and that, as long as they cater to your demands, then they have some use to you.

Players have problems like anyone else. Why should getting paid more than you mean that they don't deserve genuine sympathy or empathy when warranted?

(I wonder how many of you thought during Jarrad Roughhead's cancer battle, that he was "wimping it")?
I think you're taking the term "family reasons" too literally. Most of us are sensinble enough to know that if it was a genuine family reason, then I doubt if many fans would object to the move. However, the point of this thread is that it's almost becoming common use to coin "family reasons" for any move returning to home state. Political correctness, I'm fine with. But I'm hoping the word doesn't become as common as "rare" or "mint" on eBay.

There's 9 other clubs in Victoria that he could've gone to.

Family reasons and homesickness aren't sighted as trade reasons in pretty much any other sport. It also doesn't seem to be much of an issue among 2nd tier players. It's a product of a small game and league that has nothing in place to discourage it i.e longer contracts for draftees or trade to any club at any time for any player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's 9 other clubs in Victoria that he could've gone to.

Why do you care?

He won't be coming to your joke of a club, regardless.

Family reasons and homesickness aren't sighted as trade reasons in pretty much any other sport. It also doesn't seem to be much of an issue among 2nd tier players. It's a product of a small game and league that has nothing in place to discourage it i.e longer contracts for draftees or trade to any club at any time for any player

You're still saying this, even after it has been shown that a player has a LEGITIMATE reason to want to go home?

Poor form.

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe Gary Ablett went to make more money, so that he can support the other members of his family?

It sounds like they need a bit of help, and I don't know what their work situation is. I can't imagine Gary snr would be doing great financially, since they didn't have million dollar contracts back in his day, and he couldn't get into media or coaching. Maybe his sister needed attention which required money she didn't have.

I have heard that Gazza may be the sole breadwinner for his family, and why not make as much as you can to help financially, by doing what you do best, using something you are very good at. He has this talent people pay to see, so why not make what you can, to help others.

Maybe most here don't have all the facts, and buy hook, line and sinker all the crap that the idiot footy media put across, where making money from playing the game is considered the unforgivable sin.

Gary Ablett signed a contract. END OF STORY.

He had a choice to give up football for family and he chose to play football. Not a bad decision at all and perhaps motivated by the desire to make money FOR his family but the reality remains. He was a contracted player and there is ZERO reason for GCS to screw themselves over.

Gary Ablett signed a contract. END OF STORY.

He had a choice to give up football for family and he chose to play football. Not a bad decision at all and perhaps motivated by the desire to make money FOR his family but the reality remains. He was a contracted player and there is ZERO reason for GCS to screw themselves over.
Contracts in AFL ? How many user agreements have you clicked through in your life without reading them? I'm going to guess it's one for every single piece of software you've ever used, and every gadget, and every online dating site you've signed up for? Lord knows what else. You've probably signed off on thousands of pages of dense, unread legal jargon in your life. Well, guess what, you've all but signed away your soul. Not if you play AFL football you haven't. Plenty of contracted players get shown the door. Watts is contracted, Stringer is contracted and mid year Matt Priddis signed a one-year contract extension for 2018 only to retire at the end of the year!
In light of the terrible news yesterday i think Ablett had a very strong case to return home.

To be honest, I don't see the upside for Geelong in signing Ablett so I doubt it's jealousy the other club supporters are feeling. He's only got a couple of years in him at best and is injury prone. Geelong are welcome to him
Injury prone? We'll have to wait and see on that one, i have a sneaking suspicion that those soft tissue injuries may make a miraculous recovery ? My bet is Ablett jr will play 20 plus games in 2018 if managed well enough!

Ablett’s family tragedy puts this thread in perspective. And those like Cliver Waterhouse, Sam Docherty, Jessie Hogan and others who’ve lost their fathers while living interstate. Life is incredibly short. Live where you want to live; and to hell with those looking in from the outside claiming the right to an opinion on it.

Why do Geelong posters think ablett will be a bit player? Obviously Scott doesn't or he wouldn't be trying to get him.

A current BNF winner isnt a bit player

It is a bit rich how people are bagging players' disloyalty here, saying that they have a contract.

Guess what? Jake Stringer didn't ask to leave the Bulldogs, the club shafted him, despite him having a contract.

Maybe it isn't always the players who need to honor contracts, but clubs as well. Players can get traded out, despite having a contract, and most supporters hypocritically don't seem to care about a contracted star from another club coming to theirs.

So stop blaming the players all the time, when it happens both ways.
Players can't get traded out against their will, and if they're contracted the club will almost always have to pay their contract regardless. Uncontracted they can still refuse.
They can be publicly trashed though, as for Stringer. Most clubs wouldn't although it's deserved because it damages an asset, and cant help the morale of their list.

Why do you care?

He won't be coming to your joke of a club, regardless.
Wouldn't want him and his baggage in all honesty. Pretty divisive figure at Gold Coast during his time there and a poor leader.

And before you go off half cocked like most other Cats supporters trying to score points over his personal tragedy, my comments have nothing to do with his family.

I like Charlie Cameron's manager's approach. Why just play the family card? Play all the cards.

Charlie wants to move to Brisbane because:

FAMILY CARD: even though none of his family live in Brisbane. They live in Perth and Mt Isa (just as far from Brisbane as Adelaide)

RACE CARD: Charlie is a poor indigenous boy only earning 400k and welfare is more important to them than other people

GUILT CARD: Adelaide are a club that believes strongly in welfare so should let Charlie break his contract.

WEATHER CARD: Charlie really struggles with cold winters dipping down to 10 degrees now and then

ROOKIE CARD: Charlie was taken in the rookie draft originally so Adelaide should be happy with whatever Brisbane offer them

When he could just say the truth that Brisbane are offering Charlie the MONEY CARD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back