"Family Reasons" will it become an overuse term?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
for all those people who say he signed a contract so deal with it. have you comsidered the fact the family situation may of unexpectedly changed after the contract was already signed? People all the time break contracts and quit there jobs suddenly for family reasons and go back and get a similar job near home. problem for footballers is that the afl is a monopoly. There is only one employer. Football is also only something that can be done a short time. to quit a job a year early and not work is like quitting your job for four years in the normal work environment. its a massive and unfair sacrifice.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Gary Ablett signed a contract. END OF STORY.

He had a choice to give up football for family and he chose to play football. Not a bad decision at all and perhaps motivated by the desire to make money FOR his family but the reality remains. He was a contracted player and there is ZERO reason for GCS to screw themselves over.

So you are happy to see a talented player not do what he does best?

I suppose you think anyone should quit their job and their dream, and be held to a contract, no matter how bad things are in their family.

You are a nasty, vile human being.

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I’d give up Pick 17 for him in a heartbeat.

Worth it.

Could be the difference between winning a premiership or not.

2 years of Cotchin Martin Ablett?

I wish!

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
What is wrong with footballers making more money?

They have a right. It isn't a sin.

I bet none of you feel guilty about earning money. And before you say that you earn all of it, then why is Tattslotto, the pokies, betting on horseracing so popular, and why is gambling such a problem? Why are we bombarded with gambling ads?

You know why. Because we all love money. Every single last one of us. I am man enough to admit it. I like money. It isn't the most important thing to me, but hell, I would love to have a lot more. It would solve a few problems.

None of you are any better. You would all accept a promotion, and the money that comes from it. None of you would say, when offered a payrise "Well, I don't really deserve it".

Don't try to be a hero. You know, I hear people say, when they hear that someone makes a lot of money :- "I wouldn't know what to do with that much money".

BULLSHIT!

Every single last one of us want to get our greedy, grubby hands on as much money that we can get our hands on. Now, morality may dictate how we get it. It is unlikely we would be prepared to rob a bank, for example, to get it. But we want to be paid what we think we are worth. Well, since playing AFL football isn't illegal, I have no problem with players making money off their talent.

But, if you have SUCH a problem with how much money AFL players make, then there is something you can do. Not attend games, not buy membership. Not pay a cent towards the AFL. the fans are complicant in this, as they pay to get into games, for memberships, finals tickets etc. So we all contribute to how successful the game is, and how much they make, as many here constantly harp on and remind us all in a sense of entitlement.

There is a word to describe Gary Ablett playing for money-HUMAN!

There is a word for self-righteous people who think that they aren't motivated, even partly, by money- LIAR!

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Thankfully none of our Australian soldiers serving overseas need to come back home to be with their family 24/7.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Things will change when the AFL can finally get the power of trading into the hands of the clubs not the players, which will happen, but probably not for another 3-4 EBA's.

Once clubs can trade players anywhere they want, like MLB or the NBA, then it will make things a whole lot more interesting.

I wonder if you will be happy when your club trades out your star player for two lesser ones?

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
A lot of you wouldn't have to worry if you were drafted interstate and you didn't see your family.

If some of the stupid posts here are anything to go by, your family will happily put you on the plane, if it means not seeing you every day.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thankfully none of our Australian soldiers serving overseas need to come back home to be with their family 24/7.
Actually I think if every soldier (and all military personnel, politicians, CEOs and whiz bang entrepreneurs) went home and spent a bit more time with their families, it would do the world of good.

Besides my idealism, isn't it also worth noting that most militaires operate on a 2 year rotation for precisely this reason...?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually I think if every soldier (and all military personnel, politicians, CEOs and whiz bang entrepreneurs) went home and spent a bit more time with their families, it would do the world of good.

Besides my idealism, isn't it also worth noting that most militaires operate on a 2 year rotation for precisely this reason...?
Why not truckers, fly in/out miners and a shift workers doing 50 hour weeks?

yep

we would have a healthier government and better candidate for politicians if we closed Canberra and they worked via video conference in their electorate more often.

we would have a better military if there were better conditions and the personnel would be happier. Note I was on a ship that did close to 300 days at sea in a year..............and it got destroyed. As a result the 150 day limit was imposed.

Work life balance is the ingredient of sustainable excellence

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
yep

we would have a healthier government and better candidate for politicians if we closed Canberra and they worked via video conference in their electorate more often.

we would have a better military if there were better conditions and the personnel would be happier. Note I was on a ship that did close to 300 days at sea in a year..............and it got destroyed. As a result the 150 day limit was imposed.

Work life balance is the ingredient of sustainable excellence
If politicians didnt go to canberra then policy making would be one giant pork barrelling exercise. Politicans need to be in Canberra to listen to independent advice from public servants and to focus on national issues occassionally rather then just on issues effecting their own neighborhood.

If politicians didnt go to canberra then policy making would be one giant pork barrelling exercise. Politicans need to be in Canberra to listen to independent advice from public servants and to focus on national issues occassionally rather then just on issues effecting their own neighborhood.

They can’t do this via video conferencing?

Do you know how backwards in technology the public service is? They only moved from desk top computers to lap tops recently

I feel meeting face to face is important but I feel politicians cheating on their wives, the level of mental health issues in our leaders and the canberra bubble is a real concern. Not just for our politicians but more importantly reducing the quality of the candidates.

A video conference could be done on a cell phone these days and I trust every politician has access to a laptop. Even a backward department could do one on a desk top if required.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Does it really matter though why a player wants to go to a different club? If they want to go then you trade them, plain and simple. I'm not really bothered about why they want to leave.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I feel meeting face to face is important but I feel politicians cheating on their wives, the level of mental health issues in our leaders and the canberra bubble is a real concern. Not just for our politicians but more importantly reducing the quality of the candidates.

A video conference could be done on a cell phone these days and I trust every politician has access to a laptop. Even a backward department could do one on a desk top if required.
Do you think CEOs of large companies can work permanently remotely from their office?

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As long as Hawthorn is the family club I’m happy for players to come to us for “family reasons”.

In all seriousness, there are actually plenty of examples of players who don’t get to go where they want when they clearly have pressing family reasons.

This wouldn’t happen in other industries where a workplace and position was available in a location close to your family.

Do you think CEOs of large companies can work permanently remotely from their office?

CEOs that have multiple offices or operate globally effectively work remotely.

You also have to compare apples with apples. The director general is the CEO where a politician is not.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Um dont truckers, FIFO workers and shift workers end up at home after their shift, drive or 14 days on?

They arent permanently forced to move interstate to live away from family for extended periods.

Or is that the point you are making?
Miners can spend more time away from families then politicians. Some truckers too.

Plus senior politicians often have second homes in Canberra and their families spend time their with them.

Back