Famous Collingwood Wins

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
What are some famous Collingwood wins you can remember?

Yesterday's victory against the red-hot Demons has inspired me to look back on some of our most famous wins.

Doesn't have to be a Grand Final, or an Anzac Day game. It could even be a bloody pre-season game! but the idea of this thread will be to compile a list of the Collingwood victories which make you love this club. Wins which will stick in your mind
FOREVER.

The Grundy goal v Richmond for the win with a few seconds left on the clock.

Think we were 2 or 3 snags down with a coupla minutes left on the clock.
I was out bush-camping on that Friday night and I remember hearing on the radio when that happened. Sends chills down my spine.

I was out bush-camping on that Friday night and I remember hearing on the radio when that happened. Sends chills down my spine.
As time passes the significance of that win and the way it was achieved fades from memory.

To put all into perspective Geelong at that time were a fearsome opponent and had been on top for years.

We had been playing good/alright footy most of the season and seemed destined for a finals win but no certainties for the GF by a loooong way.

We came out from the first bounce and totally destroyed them - all over the ground. Never gave them half a second to think, forcing them into hurried and poor disposal time after time.

A true watershed game.

2002 Round 8 v Brisbane
2010 Prelim Final v Geelong

These are the two that come straight to mind for me. 2002 win against Brisbane was the coming of age of that team and when the rest of the comp started taking notice of us. It's a real shame that group didn't win a flag.

2010 Prelim was a real statement game and when I as a supporter finally believed that we could win the flag.

For any long time Collingwood supporter the finest game of all was the '90GF.

For those of us who had suffered over 30 years of heartbreak and ridicule it was like the sun coming out after a storm.

Two moments from that game stand out clear in my minds eye even now.

Early second quarter Darryn Bewick grabs the ball and races out towards the wing - now Bewick was pretty damn quick - but Scott Russell runs him down and wins a holding the ball decision - Collingwood goal and from there on we simply continued to gain momentum.

Biggest moment of the game though was Rowdy jogging out with bandaged brow and chesting Daniher, HUGE roar from the crowd and you could feel the troops lift.

Great game and still the finest moments in my 50+ years of supporting the Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm too young to remember 2002 but one of my favourite games of all time has to be the 2011 prelim.

Mick's last win as Collingwood coach. Tears in his eyes as he comes to the realization he is granted one final week with his boys. And the pure emotion and elation as Luke Ball kicks the winning goal.

I've watched that final quarter more than 5 times since. We were really up against it. Took everything we had to win that and it was probably the reason why we were so poor the following week in a game I DO NOT want to ever remember.

I'm too young to remember 2002 but one of my favourite games of all time has to be the 2011 prelim.

Mick's last win as Collingwood coach. Tears in his eyes as he comes to the realization he is granted one final week with his boys. And the pure emotion and elation as Luke Ball kicks the winning goal.

I've watched that final quarter more than 5 times since. We were really up against it. Took everything we had to win that and it was probably the reason why we were so poor the following week in a game I DO NOT want to ever remember.
You have obviously succeeded in that, without Mick's pig headed refusal to move an obviously injured Reid off Tomahawk we would have won.

For any long time Collingwood supporter the finest game of all was the '90GF.

For those of us who had suffered over 30 years of heartbreak and ridicule it was like the sun coming out after a storm.

Two moments from that game stand out clear in my minds eye even now.

Early second quarter Darryn Bewick grabs the ball and races out towards the wing - now Bewick was pretty damn quick - but Scott Russell runs him down and wins a holding the ball decision - Collingwood goal and from there on we simply continued to gain momentum.

Biggest moment of the game though was Rowdy jogging out with bandaged brow and chesting Daniher, HUGE roar from the crowd and you could feel the troops lift.

Great game and still the finest moments in my 50+ years of supporting the Pies.
Wish I was alive to witness that moment. I was just a wee laddie when we lost in 02 and 03. I'm glad there is still a lifetime of Collingwood memories ahead for me, good or bad.

Yep that would be in my top 5 wins too.

The Adelaide game this year was fairly memorable for me. First game at AO, expected we'd get smashed but went for the heck of it. The rest is history.

If it weren't for the following week, that prelim would get my vote. In my efforts to remember nothing about the GF I've also managed to forget most of that game, but I do remember thinking that it was the greatest sporting theft of all time.

Slightly leftfield but round 9 2015 vs North was a fantastic win. Miserable day, not a vintage Collingwood team and a disappointing year, but still an extremely enjoyable watch. We kicked nine goals in a row at one point

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2015/9/coll-v-nmfc

If it weren't for the following week, that prelim would get my vote. In my efforts to remember nothing about the GF I've also managed to forget most of that game, but I do remember thinking that it was the greatest sporting theft of all time.

Slightly leftfield but round 9 2015 vs North was a fantastic win. Miserable day, not a vintage Collingwood team and a disappointing year, but still an extremely enjoyable watch. We kicked nine goals in a row at one point

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2015/9/coll-v-nmfc

That one is blurry in my memory but I for sure remember it was good game. I think I was playing footy on that day and just managed to get a glimpse around 3QT. That games was a diamond in the rough.

Edit: Wow, just rewatched that video and around 6:24 even Commetti says: "A famous Collingwood victory"

Last edited:
We had a 1 point win against Essendon on ANZAC Day in 2012 (Blair soccer goal that was reviewed just to make it a bit more tense). They were undefeated going into that game while we had struggled through Bucks' first 4 games as coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back