Famous Collingwood Wins

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
2002 Qualifying Final, Port Adelaide, AAMI Park.

No Nathan Buckley, insurmountable obstacles to overcome.

But we did it.
That’s my most memorable.
12 years of nothing, including a wooden spoon only 3 years prior. We sneak a double chance by finishing fourth & play the top side at their interstate ground without an injured Bucks.
We narrowly win and get a week off and a home Prelim.
I simply could not believe it!

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Round 6 v Melbourne 1989

The game at the MCG announced to me Leigh Matthews was the real boss.

Just destroyed them then kicked away.

Heath Shepard even did his cameo at the time.

Later on I heard Leigh Matthews asked which game did he think he saw the side really click, this was the game he nominated.

For any long time Collingwood supporter the finest game of all was the '90GF.

For those of us who had suffered over 30 years of heartbreak and ridicule it was like the sun coming out after a storm.

Two moments from that game stand out clear in my minds eye even now.

Early second quarter Darryn Bewick grabs the ball and races out towards the wing - now Bewick was pretty damn quick - but Scott Russell runs him down and wins a holding the ball decision - Collingwood goal and from there on we simply continued to gain momentum.

Biggest moment of the game though was Rowdy jogging out with bandaged brow and chesting Daniher, HUGE roar from the crowd and you could feel the troops lift.

Great game and still the finest moments in my 50+ years of supporting the Pies.

I loved the semi against Essendon that year too. We dominated to everyone's surprise and the belief that we could win the big one grew with that victory.

May 24, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sunderland
1968 against the Barassi-coached Carlton (the reigning premiers) at Princes Park. A couple of goals down at half time but right in the game.
In the third quarter We kicked 12 goals 5 behinds to two points, with a youngster named John Geening displaying his very special talent for all to see.
The last quarter was a series of brawls as the blues responded, but we killed em.
Along with the 2010 Prelim, the best performances I have ever witnessed from a Collingwood team.

Loved the 2010 and 2011 PFS.

But I’ve never forgotten the first time we played the Dogs in 2009 at Etihad, when we absolutely smashed them in the first half. Strangers were asking each other - what just happened? The Dogs came back hard in the second half, but we hung on for a very tight win. A young kid called Beams stood up too. Afterwards the Pies fans formed a spontaneous circle outside the stadium, and chanted and sang. No-one wanted to go home.

When I finally did go home, I fell asleep being absolutely convinced there was a flag in that group. You could sense it that night.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
We had a 1 point win against Essendon on ANZAC Day in 2012 (Blair soccer goal that was reviewed just to make it a bit more tense). They were undefeated going into that game while we had struggled through Bucks' first 4 games as coach.
This, at the time Essendon were on fire and Jobe was in ridiculous form, up there with the Grundy goal v Richmond as all time intense games.
Can't remember which year but it was ANZAC Day a couple years back where we were down by 50 points at quarter time.

Also I think the Adelaide game this year was rather famous (at the time).
This is still the only Anzac game math ive gone too, i was gutted at quarter time, then Swan put on one if the greatest matches ever. Ive watch us every week since i was a kid, but ive barely been to any games, so when i was there i wasnt sure how it would stack up against our best wins because it was so different to watching on tv.

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
2000 round 3 or 4 up in Sydney, coming off the spoon and we had won the first couple

Anthony Rocca with the long range bomb FTW

And for another obscure one, 2004 or 05 when the bottom fell out a bit, but one day we pinched one against the Tiges when David King the nearly man of 2003 GF snagged one very late

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can't remember which year but it was ANZAC Day a couple years back where we were down by 50 points at quarter time.

Also I think the Adelaide game this year was rather famous (at the time).
You obviously had too much to drink before the game. :)
We were never 50 points down.
We were 5 goals down.
It was ANZAC day so early start to drinking is understandable.

2002 Qualifying Final, Port Adelaide, AAMI Park.

No Nathan Buckley, insurmountable obstacles to overcome.

But we did it.
This is my favourite. I can't remember a time of was more delirious with sheer joy and pride. :thumbsu:

2010 Prelim is the most complete performance I've ever seen from a Collingwood team. Big stage, quality opponent, high pressure... Complete domination

Made a champion team look like the wooden spooners. The perfect game.

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Let us see if I can scratch enough brain cells together to remember a few in my lifetime:

Round 6 2001 Carlton v Collingwood MCG

The game earmarked as the "Federation Game" and it was evidently my birthday, and around the time I got SUPER serious about watching football. I was out and didn't watch the game (thanks Mom!) but I know that Pebbles kicked six, and Buckley played a blinder against the old enemy. Thanks for coming Bloose.

Round 8 2001 Port Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

I watched the tail end of this one. Jumped out of the blocks after the Power kicked the first four goals, Tazza kicked five of the best. Held off a fast finishing outfit that were up and about, and eventually played a Preliminary Final. Another Buckley special, and mention to Ryan Lonie for the hattrick.

Round 13 2001 Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

None of our players kicked more than a brace, but with Darren Jarman kicking half a dozen at the other end to half time, we were in deep sh*t. Up pops the skipper to get the lazy forty plus pozzies and two goals, and we down the Croweaters by two points. I was at the Grandparents, and found out from the Grandfather the next morning. Trust me when I say, the sense of anxiety and apprehension was completely lost on me!

Round 8 2002 Collingwood v Brisbane Docklands

Having seen the Bad News win nearly twenty in a row, you would excuse me for thinking we would get flogged. This was some juggernaut, with all the cash pumped into them and Sydney by the AFL. Alas with Tazza kicking five, Buckley shading Voss, and Pebbles and Rup Betheras running amok, we pipped them at the post. Great game for Clokey down back too. The lid well and truly came off, when Betheras put us in front in the third stanza. Wowee indeed.

Round 14 2002 Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

Brisbane have been done by the Demons at the Gabba, having the former sold a home game to the latter. This clash becomes a fight for the coveted second spot on the ladder, and we are playing a much improved Crows outfit on the home deck. What happens? I switch on to the delayed telecast of Nine's coverage, hosted brilliantly by our own Tony Jones, and we proceed to kick nine goals unanswered in the second quarter, while holding of a flying Brett Burton and fast finishing Crows outfit coming back from ten goals down. Four goal win doesn't reflect the shear relief and frustration this game had on me as an eleven year old!!

Qualifying Final 2002 Port Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

Nobody gave us a hope in Hell of going over there and winning it. No Buckley? No worries. The Davis "brothers" running riot, Betheras turning it on in the first term, and Licuria smashing Francou and nabbing forty possessions. This one shades the Brisbane game JUST, because of the atmosphere of an away final, the vocal and ferocious home crowd, and the sense of history being against us.

Qualifying Final 2003 Collingwood v Brisbane MCG

This was one of the epics, and certainly shaded the final above mentioned from the year prior. Few things to remember. The cheersquad, of which I was a member, was shifted from behind the goals to practically the wing, to accommodate the travelling Brions supporters. We had not beaten the Brions all year (not through lack of trying), and had lost three games in a row by hefty enough margins. Close all night, Buckley superb, but Didak's junk time goals to get us in front, which sandwiched a centre clearance, strong mark and goal to Pebbles just topped of the night. A shame we couldn't repeat the dose on Grand Final Day.

Round 9 2004 Collingwood v Adelaide Docklands

Previous years Grand Finalists, and now a rabble, one win from the first eight rounds. The Crows should probably have pumped us, but determination of a proud club to hold on by half a kick. No Buckley, who was out for practically two seasons following with hamstring torn to shreds, coming back from almost five goals in arrears, and Tazza kicking a bag of five when we only kicked nine for the night. This passes for an epic, especially when you discover the game ended deep in their forward fifty.

Round 9 2005 Collingwood v West Coast MCG

Curious how at the home of football we weren't given a shady chance, but again, Melbourne being second on the ladder had slipped up against the Eagles in the earlier rounds at the same venue, so the Eagles as their song says were "flying high". I listened with the Grandfather to the first quarter, and bugger me, a three goal head start to Cox, Cousins and co. No Judd for this fixture, so take from it what you will. Second quarter was electric, vintage Collingwood, with six goals and a half time lead. Ground out the rest for a famous win, with the journeyman Caracella kicking five, and Egan in his first game kicking a brace.

Round 11 2005 Collingwood v Geelong Docklands

This game gets a mention because Geelong were entrenched in the top four, and on a Friday night should have buried the wobbles. They didn't. Thanks once again to Didak kicking five, including I believe some incredible mercurial efforts, and an eleven goal first half, we held off a fast finishing Pivotonians outfit. I remember Scott Burns kicking one on half time to extend the lead to beyond seven goals, from the arc no less. I love how good it was to listen to football on the radio.....once upon a time.

Round 8 2006 Collingwood v Geelong MCG

Huge arrival of a young team who had gone through such a low ebb for two years after successive Grand Finals. Hundred point drubbing of a Cats team who had played off in a Semi Final previous year and given Swans a run for their money, but for Nick Davis and four goals, and who had been heralded as taking the next step in 2006. Memories of attending this game as a fifteen year old, and paying only $2 for a concession ticket. Watching Leon run the Cats into the ground, including Tim Lane's "coup de grais" from beyond the arc in the pocket on the run, in the second quarter. A young, tattoo-less Dane Swan arrived on this night, with four goals.

Round 10 2006 Collingwood v Brisbane MCG

Hadn't beaten the Brions since 2003, and had been flogged in every fixture since. Buckley showed further form forward, in his most famous six goal game. Sadly the game where Jamie Charman sat on Caracella's head, and broke his neck, to end what would have been a promising twilight of his career had he continued with us. Sat in the cheersquad, and loved every moment, including some of Buckley's marking prowess. Also Scott Pendlebury's first game. I had no idea that night he would become a Norm Smith medalist, future captain, and 250 game player, despite goal with one of his first few kicks.

Round 20 2006 Port Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

I remember watching this on Channel Nine. The Maggies had a really fast start, and at one point led by about five goals plus, before completely capitulating with the help of Brett Ebert, to hold a slender lead at half time, and then fail to kick a goal, to trail at three quarter time. I remember Buckley's speccie and goal, then Didak sliding one through from the pocket to send us in front. Unfortunately there was the horror of the Burns miss beforehand, hitting the post from the square, and then handball to give the Power the clearance and opportunity to goal, following Didak's ice cool effort. Mick might have smashed up the box due to the Burns handball, also.

Round 1 2007 Kangaroos v Collingwood MCG

Same mob who had beaten us by eight goals on the Gold Coast in pre-season. Behind all day, but epic seven goal last quarter that was almost ruined by Heath Shaw conceding a fifty metre penalty to Shannon Grant, but fortunately saw him hit the post from the square. Watched this with my North supporting Brother, who was shattered. Medders first game for Collingwood with the departure of Tazza, and memorable for Cloke's boundary line effort, and Ben Johnson's cool check-side goal in the last.

Semi Final 2007 West Coast v Collingwood Subiaco

This was the final to beat all finals. The fact we got to be four goals down at one point in the third, to see that lead evaporate within five minutes afterwards, Pebbles badly out of form and bagging a hattrick on the dour Darren Glass, and Didak popping up from beyond the arc to put us in front. Special mention to Daisy for ice cool kick to put us back in front late in the last, and the last minute, where players were smashing into each other in our forward fifty, with no clean hands, and no behind to put us in front. My first time seeing a draw, first time seeing extra time, and young blokes like Swanny and Pendlebury kicking some late goals in the second five minute period to win it. First win against the Eagles in Perth since 1992. That is probably equal, if not better than the 2002 final against the Power, but they didn't have Kerr, Judd, or Cousins. Still a damn good team despite this fact.

Special mention:

- Round 3 v Richmond MCG (down by three goals half time, first game for Brad Dick, Shannon Cox, Alan Toovey)

- Round 6 v Adelaide Football Park

- Round 9 2007 (first win against the Bad News at the Gabba, and first win at the Gabba since 1993)

- Round 14 v St Kilda MCG (last quarter comeback, my first day on the workforce pushing trolleys at woolies, absolute torrential rain all day, and Daisy's disallowed goal, which would have been goal of the decade EASILY).

Round 9 2008

The Cats hadn't lost a game since round 5 2007, and nobody gave us a chance. It was being marketed as the revenge game for Geelong stealing the Preliminary Final from us the previous year, from which I have no doubt we would have smashed the Power and won the long coveted Grand Final. I listened in the darkness of my room on the radio, potentially to shut all outside noise from focusing on the game. I can only call it an obliteration. The first time a team had achieved almost one hundred tackles, and pressure unheard of before the present era, and which has been replicated by Collingwood teams since. Keeping the perennial Cats to seven goals was a feather in the cap, and Medders "brought his trow" with a goal on the final siren. Epic.

Round 4 2009 Brisbane v Collingwood 'Gabba

Remember watching this on Channel Seven, and the Brions being up and about, with Jonathan Brown taking all before him, before being blanketed by Presti-gerry-como. This was also the game Medders kicked four, was knocked out, and recalled nothing of his sensational goal from the pocket that bounced through for a crucial goal. This was redemption for the corresponding fixture the previous year, where we had them buried at three quarter time, and we got done.

Round 15 2009 Western Bulldogs v Collingwood Docklands

Battle between third and fourth, and the Dogs had destroyed the Dawks with a fourteen goal half time lead the previous week. Could be excused for thinking we might fall victim to them also, but the Maggies had other ideas. Remember listening on the radio to the Pies extend the lead at every change, six goals at the end of the premiership quarter, and Leon be on fire with four, and all of them special efforts. Daisy kicked the crucial goal late in the last to extend the lead to seven points, and we win by the barest of margins. Crocodile tears Foot-es-cray!

Round 19 2009 Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

Always found a way to win in Adelaide over the years. Battle for fourth spot this one, and I remember watching the Pies kick away in the second half on Channel Ten, with "Jack" Anthony starring with a hattrick, and Alan Didak and Swanny running riot. Did this one easy in the end, and an away win was thoroughly memorable.

Semi Final 2009 Collingwood v Adelaide MCG

Already mentioned here, but was my second weekend at the MCG, after working the Qualifying Final loss to the Saints. Having been five goals down, and a very dour second quarter, to see the Maggies fly back and then almost get done was a real heart attack waiting to happen. "Jack" Anthony was ice cool just before the siren, don't know if it was a free kick, but hell that's history. "RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!"

Round 15 2010 Port Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

Was staying with the Grandparents for this one. Blowing a six goal gale down one end of Footy Park, to which the Power kicked a five goal to nil lead to the first break. Arrested with a seven goal second term, and from there we were never headed. Harry and Daisy's hundredth games, Jarryd Blair snagged a nice one from the pocket on the arc, and the Anvil dobbed one on the left from much the same position, on the run. Swanny had a field day to receive the three votes.

Round 16 2010 Collingwood v St Kilda MCG

Worked this one. This was touted as the first litmus test for the Pies, having not beaten the Saints since 2008, and having been crunched in clashes since. McCaffer, Swan, and even the Anvil had a field day, we kept Saints to six goals, won by eight, and went to the top of the AFL ladder. Absolute euphoria.

Round 19 2010 Geelong v Collingwood MCG

The second litmus test. Done by six goals in the round 9 clash, which was a real kick in the guts not to kick a goal in the last quarter. Proved on this night we were premiership favourites. Despite the inaccuracy, the crowd piled in right through into the first quarter, and saw us jump out to a four goal lead. Despite surrendering this by half time, and falling a couple of goals behind, Beams got a hattrick, Swanny broke the Ling tag, and Didak had a field day in a four goal win. I was elated, and utterly relieved.

Preliminary Final Collingwod v Geelong MCG

This was probably enough to keep me alive for six months. No food or water, just watch this match on rinse and repeat. Jumping out of the blocks with seven goals, at one point eighty points up, and every Cats fan in the house knew they were gone-ski. Travis kicked straight, Swanny, Rusty and Didak murdered the "Hand Bags", and Ablett's forty touches was his best and last game for Geelong until round whatever this year. "Hi Gold Coast, I am G. Ablett".

Round 9 2011 Collingwood v Adelaide Docklands

Obviously a few stand out games in this season, but we cantered to wins in all of them. This was different. An eighteen goal second half, Krakouer takes mark of the year which should have gone to the Carlton bloke, and Daisy kicked the torpedo from the arc. The tugging by Tazza of his jumper too told you how much he "loved" playing in Perth with the Shockers.

Preliminary Final 2011 Collingwood v Hawthorn MCG

That last quarter. Leon kicks one from the arc to put us within a kick, and we could smell blood. Before that, walking into the members from the Ponsford, these Hawks blokes were laughing at us. To pull it back, Swanny from the pocket, Cloke and Dawes kicking straight, and Ball's late snap after Buddy turned Tazza inside out, was certainly special. Brought a ticket for a mate who went in 1990, and hadn't been since. I was relieved we won it for him, too.

Round 9 2012 Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

Our last game against the Croweaters at Footy Park. Last quarter we doubled our score with five majors. Few of these included Wellingham sharking one off the ground, Didak from beyond the arc, and the Rusty's snap just before the buzzer. Crows were cooked. Buckley 1, Sanderson 0.

Round 20 2012 Sydney v Collingwood Stadium Australia

Beating the Swans, who were up and about with eight wins in a row, on their home deck, having banned Swanny for his p*** up the night before a training session, was a phenomenal effort. Beamsy was Swan-esque with his three goal and thirty pozzie performance, and his late snap was the sealer. Suck eggs Goodesy!

Round 8 2013 Collingwood v Geelong MCG

Not even I gave us a chance in this one. The Cats were sitting on top of the ladder undefeated, and we came in and swooped like a Magpie in mating season. We were obliterated in the third quarter, but the Krakouer goal to seal it, banana from the pocket, was absolutely magic. Sammy Dwyer did some nice things too. Remember him?

Round 20 2013 Sydney v Collingwood Stadium Australia

Watched this from the comfort of my arm chair. Rare night off. Swans smashed us by eight goals in the MCG fixture in round 9, first win for them since 1998 against us at the home of football. They also kicked the first four goals in this fixture, but we arrested back ascendancy with a six goal third term, and three goals from "Billy" Elliot. Travis couldn't kick straight on the night of course, but that is besides the point (see what I did there?)

Round 6 2014 Collingwood v Essendon MCG

Stands out because despite the six goal head start we gave Essendon, we drew it back in the second quarter to be level at half time, courtesy of Rusty and his friends. Swanny kicking four made him a deserved Anzac Day Medallist.

Round 9 2015 Collingwood v North Melbourne MCG

What is it about Collingwood classics and round 9 of the season? I have told this story on here, but I had a prophetic dream the week of the game, where I was shown pretty much the exact score and margin we would win by. Top that off with having also seen in the same dream we would be down by six goals at half time!! Told the ex-wife, who can attest to my honesty of character!! Was studying for an exam but seeing this come to fruition, couldn't help myself but see if we would do the deed. Was not disappointed, and coming back from forty points down against the Shinboners was SWEET. Nine goal third quarter to be in front, and five goals from "Billy" Elliot.

Round 9 2016 Collingwood v Geelong MCG

Round 9 again!!! Cats were purring undefeated AGAIN, and a seven goal to nil first quarter broke their backs. I missed this completely as the ex-wife liked to sleep in, and she didn't like me watching the footy anyway. Americans. Sheesh. Held on thank Christ. Pendlebury kicking three, and Mason Cox emulating Gabelich circa '64 Grand Final with a running bounce and goal. Hasn't he come a long way since then?

Round 16 GWS v Collingwood Spotless Stadium

Having butchered our season, and with the Giants in third with ten wins, they should have won in a canter. Turns out after a three goal head start, a nine goal second stanza and fifteen goals to four in the middle two quarters was going to be too much. Travis kicked four, including the only goal for the Pies in the last. It was another game I missed out on, courtesy of my marriage. I snuck in to listen to the last quarter though on radio.

I think 2017 to now will be self explanatory. Hopefully I have given some food for thought!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Let us see if I can scratch enough brain cells together to remember a few in my lifetime:

Round 6 2001 Carlton v Collingwood MCG

The game earmarked as the "Federation Game" and it was evidently my birthday, and around the time I got SUPER serious about watching football. I was out and didn't watch the game (thanks Mom!) but I know that Pebbles kicked six, and Buckley played a blinder against the old enemy. Thanks for coming Bloose.

Round 8 2001 Port Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

I watched the tail end of this one. Jumped out of the blocks after the Power kicked the first four goals, Tazza kicked five of the best. Held off a fast finishing outfit that were up and about, and eventually played a Preliminary Final. Another Buckley special, and mention to Ryan Lonie for the hattrick.

Round 13 2001 Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

None of our players kicked more than a brace, but with Darren Jarman kicking half a dozen at the other end to half time, we were in deep sh*t. Up pops the skipper to get the lazy forty plus pozzies and two goals, and we down the Croweaters by two points. I was at the Grandparents, and found out from the Grandfather the next morning. Trust me when I say, the sense of anxiety and apprehension was completely lost on me!

Round 8 2002 Collingwood v Brisbane Docklands

Having seen the Bad News win nearly twenty in a row, you would excuse me for thinking we would get flogged. This was some juggernaut, with all the cash pumped into them and Sydney by the AFL. Alas with Tazza kicking five, Buckley shading Voss, and Pebbles and Rup Betheras running amok, we pipped them at the post. Great game for Clokey down back too. The lid well and truly came off, when Betheras put us in front in the third stanza. Wowee indeed.

Round 14 2002 Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

Brisbane have been done by the Demons at the Gabba, having the former sold a home game to the latter. This clash becomes a fight for the coveted second spot on the ladder, and we are playing a much improved Crows outfit on the home deck. What happens? I switch on to the delayed telecast of Nine's coverage, hosted brilliantly by our own Tony Jones, and we proceed to kick nine goals unanswered in the second quarter, while holding of a flying Brett Burton and fast finishing Crows outfit coming back from ten goals down. Four goal win doesn't reflect the shear relief and frustration this game had on me as an eleven year old!!

Qualifying Final 2002 Port Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

Nobody gave us a hope in Hell of going over there and winning it. No Buckley? No worries. The Davis "brothers" running riot, Betheras turning it on in the first term, and Licuria smashing Francou and nabbing forty possessions. This one shades the Brisbane game JUST, because of the atmosphere of an away final, the vocal and ferocious home crowd, and the sense of history being against us.

Qualifying Final 2003 Collingwood v Brisbane MCG

This was one of the epics, and certainly shaded the final above mentioned from the year prior. Few things to remember. The cheersquad, of which I was a member, was shifted from behind the goals to practically the wing, to accommodate the travelling Brions supporters. We had not beaten the Brions all year (not through lack of trying), and had lost three games in a row by hefty enough margins. Close all night, Buckley superb, but Didak's junk time goals to get us in front, which sandwiched a centre clearance, strong mark and goal to Pebbles just topped of the night. A shame we couldn't repeat the dose on Grand Final Day.

Round 9 2004 Collingwood v Adelaide Docklands

Previous years Grand Finalists, and now a rabble, one win from the first eight rounds. The Crows should probably have pumped us, but determination of a proud club to hold on by half a kick. No Buckley, who was out for practically two seasons following with hamstring torn to shreds, coming back from almost five goals in arrears, and Tazza kicking a bag of five when we only kicked nine for the night. This passes for an epic, especially when you discover the game ended deep in their forward fifty.

Round 9 2005 Collingwood v West Coast MCG

Curious how at the home of football we weren't given a shady chance, but again, Melbourne being second on the ladder had slipped up against the Eagles in the earlier rounds at the same venue, so the Eagles as their song says were "flying high". I listened with the Grandfather to the first quarter, and bugger me, a three goal head start to Cox, Cousins and co. No Judd for this fixture, so take from it what you will. Second quarter was electric, vintage Collingwood, with six goals and a half time lead. Ground out the rest for a famous win, with the journeyman Caracella kicking five, and Egan in his first game kicking a brace.

Round 11 2005 Collingwood v Geelong Docklands

This game gets a mention because Geelong were entrenched in the top four, and on a Friday night should have buried the wobbles. They didn't. Thanks once again to Didak kicking five, including I believe some incredible mercurial efforts, and an eleven goal first half, we held off a fast finishing Pivotonians outfit. I remember Scott Burns kicking one on half time to extend the lead to beyond seven goals, from the arc no less. I love how good it was to listen to football on the radio.....once upon a time.

Round 8 2006 Collingwood v Geelong MCG

Huge arrival of a young team who had gone through such a low ebb for two years after successive Grand Finals. Hundred point drubbing of a Cats team who had played off in a Semi Final previous year and given Swans a run for their money, but for Nick Davis and four goals, and who had been heralded as taking the next step in 2006. Memories of attending this game as a fifteen year old, and paying only $2 for a concession ticket. Watching Leon run the Cats into the ground, including Tim Lane's "coup de grais" from beyond the arc in the pocket on the run, in the second quarter. A young, tattoo-less Dane Swan arrived on this night, with four goals.

Round 10 2006 Collingwood v Brisbane MCG

Hadn't beaten the Brions since 2003, and had been flogged in every fixture since. Buckley showed further form forward, in his most famous six goal game. Sadly the game where Jamie Charman sat on Caracella's head, and broke his neck, to end what would have been a promising twilight of his career had he continued with us. Sat in the cheersquad, and loved every moment, including some of Buckley's marking prowess. Also Scott Pendlebury's first game. I had no idea that night he would become a Norm Smith medalist, future captain, and 250 game player, despite goal with one of his first few kicks.

Round 20 2006 Port Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

I remember watching this on Channel Nine. The Maggies had a really fast start, and at one point led by about five goals plus, before completely capitulating with the help of Brett Ebert, to hold a slender lead at half time, and then fail to kick a goal, to trail at three quarter time. I remember Buckley's speccie and goal, then Didak sliding one through from the pocket to send us in front. Unfortunately there was the horror of the Burns miss beforehand, hitting the post from the square, and then handball to give the Power the clearance and opportunity to goal, following Didak's ice cool effort. Mick might have smashed up the box due to the Burns handball, also.

Round 1 2007 Kangaroos v Collingwood MCG

Same mob who had beaten us by eight goals on the Gold Coast in pre-season. Behind all day, but epic seven goal last quarter that was almost ruined by Heath Shaw conceding a fifty metre penalty to Shannon Grant, but fortunately saw him hit the post from the square. Watched this with my North supporting Brother, who was shattered. Medders first game for Collingwood with the departure of Tazza, and memorable for Cloke's boundary line effort, and Ben Johnson's cool check-side goal in the last.

Semi Final 2007 West Coast v Collingwood Subiaco

This was the final to beat all finals. The fact we got to be four goals down at one point in the third, to see that lead evaporate within five minutes afterwards, Pebbles badly out of form and bagging a hattrick on the dour Darren Glass, and Didak popping up from beyond the arc to put us in front. Special mention to Daisy for ice cool kick to put us back in front late in the last, and the last minute, where players were smashing into each other in our forward fifty, with no clean hands, and no behind to put us in front. My first time seeing a draw, first time seeing extra time, and young blokes like Swanny and Pendlebury kicking some late goals in the second five minute period to win it. First win against the Eagles in Perth since 1992. That is probably equal, if not better than the 2002 final against the Power, but they didn't have Kerr, Judd, or Cousins. Still a damn good team despite this fact.

Special mention:

- Round 3 v Richmond MCG (down by three goals half time, first game for Brad Dick, Shannon Cox, Alan Toovey)

- Round 6 v Adelaide Football Park

- Round 9 2007 (first win against the Bad News at the Gabba, and first win at the Gabba since 1993)

- Round 14 v St Kilda MCG (last quarter comeback, my first day on the workforce pushing trolleys at woolies, absolute torrential rain all day, and Daisy's disallowed goal, which would have been goal of the decade EASILY).

Round 9 2008

The Cats hadn't lost a game since round 5 2007, and nobody gave us a chance. It was being marketed as the revenge game for Geelong stealing the Preliminary Final from us the previous year, from which I have no doubt we would have smashed the Power and won the long coveted Grand Final. I listened in the darkness of my room on the radio, potentially to shut all outside noise from focusing on the game. I can only call it an obliteration. The first time a team had achieved almost one hundred tackles, and pressure unheard of before the present era, and which has been replicated by Collingwood teams since. Keeping the perennial Cats to seven goals was a feather in the cap, and Medders "brought his trow" with a goal on the final siren. Epic.

Round 4 2009 Brisbane v Collingwood 'Gabba

Remember watching this on Channel Seven, and the Brions being up and about, with Jonathan Brown taking all before him, before being blanketed by Presti-gerry-como. This was also the game Medders kicked four, was knocked out, and recalled nothing of his sensational goal from the pocket that bounced through for a crucial goal. This was redemption for the corresponding fixture the previous year, where we had them buried at three quarter time, and we got done.

Round 15 2009 Western Bulldogs v Collingwood Docklands

Battle between third and fourth, and the Dogs had destroyed the Dawks with a fourteen goal half time lead the previous week. Could be excused for thinking we might fall victim to them also, but the Maggies had other ideas. Remember listening on the radio to the Pies extend the lead at every change, six goals at the end of the premiership quarter, and Leon be on fire with four, and all of them special efforts. Daisy kicked the crucial goal late in the last to extend the lead to seven points, and we win by the barest of margins. Crocodile tears Foot-es-cray!

Round 19 2009 Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

Always found a way to win in Adelaide over the years. Battle for fourth spot this one, and I remember watching the Pies kick away in the second half on Channel Ten, with "Jack" Anthony starring with a hattrick, and Alan Didak and Swanny running riot. Did this one easy in the end, and an away win was thoroughly memorable.

Semi Final 2009 Collingwood v Adelaide MCG

Already mentioned here, but was my second weekend at the MCG, after working the Qualifying Final loss to the Saints. Having been five goals down, and a very dour second quarter, to see the Maggies fly back and then almost get done was a real heart attack waiting to happen. "Jack" Anthony was ice cool just before the siren, don't know if it was a free kick, but hell that's history. "RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!"

Round 15 2010 Port Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

Was staying with the Grandparents for this one. Blowing a six goal gale down one end of Footy Park, to which the Power kicked a five goal to nil lead to the first break. Arrested with a seven goal second term, and from there we were never headed. Harry and Daisy's hundredth games, Jarryd Blair snagged a nice one from the pocket on the arc, and the Anvil dobbed one on the left from much the same position, on the run. Swanny had a field day to receive the three votes.

Round 16 2010 Collingwood v St Kilda MCG

Worked this one. This was touted as the first litmus test for the Pies, having not beaten the Saints since 2008, and having been crunched in clashes since. McCaffer, Swan, and even the Anvil had a field day, we kept Saints to six goals, won by eight, and went to the top of the AFL ladder. Absolute euphoria.

Round 19 2010 Geelong v Collingwood MCG

The second litmus test. Done by six goals in the round 9 clash, which was a real kick in the guts not to kick a goal in the last quarter. Proved on this night we were premiership favourites. Despite the inaccuracy, the crowd piled in right through into the first quarter, and saw us jump out to a four goal lead. Despite surrendering this by half time, and falling a couple of goals behind, Beams got a hattrick, Swanny broke the Ling tag, and Didak had a field day in a four goal win. I was elated, and utterly relieved.

Preliminary Final Collingwod v Geelong MCG

This was probably enough to keep me alive for six months. No food or water, just watch this match on rinse and repeat. Jumping out of the blocks with seven goals, at one point eighty points up, and every Cats fan in the house knew they were gone-ski. Travis kicked straight, Swanny, Rusty and Didak murdered the "Hand Bags", and Ablett's forty touches was his best and last game for Geelong until round whatever this year. "Hi Gold Coast, I am G. Ablett".

Round 9 2011 Collingwood v Adelaide Docklands

Obviously a few stand out games in this season, but we cantered to wins in all of them. This was different. An eighteen goal second half, Krakouer takes mark of the year which should have gone to the Carlton bloke, and Daisy kicked the torpedo from the arc. The tugging by Tazza of his jumper too told you how much he "loved" playing in Perth with the Shockers.

Preliminary Final 2011 Collingwood v Hawthorn MCG

That last quarter. Leon kicks one from the arc to put us within a kick, and we could smell blood. Before that, walking into the members from the Ponsford, these Hawks blokes were laughing at us. To pull it back, Swanny from the pocket, Cloke and Dawes kicking straight, and Ball's late snap after Buddy turned Tazza inside out, was certainly special. Brought a ticket for a mate who went in 1990, and hadn't been since. I was relieved we won it for him, too.

Round 9 2012 Adelaide v Collingwood Football Park

Our last game against the Croweaters at Footy Park. Last quarter we doubled our score with five majors. Few of these included Wellingham sharking one off the ground, Didak from beyond the arc, and the Rusty's snap just before the buzzer. Crows were cooked. Buckley 1, Sanderson 0.

Round 20 2012 Sydney v Collingwood Stadium Australia

Beating the Swans, who were up and about with eight wins in a row, on their home deck, having banned Swanny for his p*** up the night before a training session, was a phenomenal effort. Beamsy was Swan-esque with his three goal and thirty pozzie performance, and his late snap was the sealer. Suck eggs Goodesy!

Round 8 2013 Collingwood v Geelong MCG

Not even I gave us a chance in this one. The Cats were sitting on top of the ladder undefeated, and we came in and swooped like a Magpie in mating season. We were obliterated in the third quarter, but the Krakouer goal to seal it, banana from the pocket, was absolutely magic. Sammy Dwyer did some nice things too. Remember him?

Round 20 2013 Sydney v Collingwood Stadium Australia

Watched this from the comfort of my arm chair. Rare night off. Swans smashed us by eight goals in the MCG fixture in round 9, first win for them since 1998 against us at the home of football. They also kicked the first four goals in this fixture, but we arrested back ascendancy with a six goal third term, and three goals from "Billy" Elliot. Travis couldn't kick straight on the night of course, but that is besides the point (see what I did there?)

Round 6 2014 Collingwood v Essendon MCG

Stands out because despite the six goal head start we gave Essendon, we drew it back in the second quarter to be level at half time, courtesy of Rusty and his friends. Swanny kicking four made him a deserved Anzac Day Medallist.

Round 9 2015 Collingwood v North Melbourne MCG

What is it about Collingwood classics and round 9 of the season? I have told this story on here, but I had a prophetic dream the week of the game, where I was shown pretty much the exact score and margin we would win by. Top that off with having also seen in the same dream we would be down by six goals at half time!! Told the ex-wife, who can attest to my honesty of character!! Was studying for an exam but seeing this come to fruition, couldn't help myself but see if we would do the deed. Was not disappointed, and coming back from forty points down against the Shinboners was SWEET. Nine goal third quarter to be in front, and five goals from "Billy" Elliot.

Round 9 2016 Collingwood v Geelong MCG

Round 9 again!!! Cats were purring undefeated AGAIN, and a seven goal to nil first quarter broke their backs. I missed this completely as the ex-wife liked to sleep in, and she didn't like me watching the footy anyway. Americans. Sheesh. Held on thank Christ. Pendlebury kicking three, and Mason Cox emulating Gabelich circa '64 Grand Final with a running bounce and goal. Hasn't he come a long way since then?

Round 16 GWS v Collingwood Spotless Stadium

Having butchered our season, and with the Giants in third with ten wins, they should have won in a canter. Turns out after a three goal head start, a nine goal second stanza and fifteen goals to four in the middle two quarters was going to be too much. Travis kicked four, including the only goal for the Pies in the last. It was another game I missed out on, courtesy of my marriage. I snuck in to listen to the last quarter though on radio.

I think 2017 to now will be self explanatory. Hopefully I have given some food for thought!
Took me a week to read this one :drunk: Loved the Cloke pun
I'd say that the last game was pretty famous. Largest Queens Birthday clash, hyped-up, underdogs to the Demons, against all odds. Certainly not the most famous but in terms of what that game means to us I feel like it deserves some fame.

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Took me a week to read this one :drunk: Loved the Cloke pun
I'd say that the last game was pretty famous. Largest Queens Birthday clash, hyped-up, underdogs to the Demons, against all odds. Certainly not the most famous but in terms of what that game means to us I feel like it deserves some fame.
Oh most definitely. My criteria was:

a) Something I had witnessed first hand

b) Huge anticipation by myself and potentially the supporter base of it being close or a loss

c) Critical for position on the ladder and against a team in form

d) Stand out performances by certain players

People on here thought we would get belted on Monday, but geez why would you think that? Melbourne are a great side, but Collingwood matched up against them superbly. I think what makes Monday's game so memorable for the immediate and distant future, is having had so many let downs over the past five years, the boys stood up when it counted, and offered us such exhilarating, high octane, electric style of football that will beat ANY side.

Ben Johnson's tackle on Port Adelaide?
He tackled the whole team? haha..

In all seriousness, that tackle on Burgoyne definitely goes down as the crunch moment in one of our greatest ever wins!

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
I think a worthy addition to one of the greatest Collingwood victories is the 2018 Preliminary Final, despite what followed it the week after. I will be telling my children and eventually my grand-children about the time we went against all odds in spectacular fashion.

Back