Famous Collingwood Wins

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a worthy addition to one of the greatest Collingwood victories is the 2018 Preliminary Final, despite what followed it the week after. I will be telling my children and eventually my grand-children about the time we went against all odds in spectacular fashion.
Yeah In the AFL era I reckon our three most outstanding performances were in Preliminary Finals;
1. 2007 Lost to the super Cats outfit by 5 points. The following week Geelong beat PA by 120
2. 2010 Slaughtered the 2009 and 2011 premiers (incl GAblett jnr!) At one stage we led by 83 points before putting the shutters up
3. 2018 Mason Cox, Steele Sidebottom

But the PA qualifying final in 2002 must be next..

I’ve come up with 15 games the Last games of season:

there was a match in 92 or 93 against west coast in perth and we wrere 7 pts down lest than a minute to go,bounce down in the middle which monky won and scored a behind and then kicked the goal to win.We were very good that season won all the close ones apart from s kilda devastating loss,absolutely shattered after that one.

The 1981 Semi against Fitzroy we won it by a point, talk about gritty exciting football from both teams. I was 11 yo watching from the top of the Northern Stand a senior family friend picked me and threw me up above his shoulders in excitement when the siren went. F****** scary view from up there. Euphoric and shitting myself at the same time lol.

The 2010 and 2018 PF's - such dominance they stand out for me.

Of course there's the 58 title win, no one gave us a chance it was a fait accompli that the dees would match our 4 peat. Well we didn't let em, we out psyche'd em and never gave em a sniff. True reflection of the Pies gritty spirit

Just on my theme of premiership years.

My dad was alive for 10 premierships.
To be fair he’d not have remembered two of them.

I’d think the maximum number of flags seen by any posters (or being alive) would be 10 (older posters ofcourse).

Though 6 flags is closer to our outlier for any poster.

I’d be very surprised (but delighted with posters being born 1927 or so, that’s 10 flags right there).

But back to 6 flags, That’s being alive for 1935 (or being currently age wise 83 or so).

Take that out, some posters would have 4 flags as maximum, 1953, 1958, 1990 and 2010.

The 2 flags and 1 flag would fill the majority I’d suggest. Being around for 1990 and recently 2010.

Let’s add one for 2019. Be lovely.

ps St kilda is maximum 1 or none.

I’d think the maximum number of flags seen by any posters (or being alive) would be 10 (older posters ofcourse).

I’d be very surprised (but delighted with posters being born 1927 or so, that’s 10 flags right there).

But back to 6 flags, That’s being alive for 1935 (or being currently age wise 83 or so).

Take that out, some posters would have 4 flags as maximum, 1953, 1958, 1990 and 2010.

The 2 flags and 1 flag would fill the majority I’d suggest. Being around for 1990 and recently 2010.

The way I see it, no matter now many flags we win, we'd still be largely behind the amount we've lost.
How many would we have to win before we get passed the legacy of Grand Final defeat? I certainly think back-to-back flags is all I need to die peacefully, but in reality we are doomed to our past defeats no matter how good we may get in the future.

The 1981 Semi against Fitzroy we won it by a point, talk about gritty exciting football from both teams. I was 11 yo watching from the top of the Northern Stand a senior family friend picked me and threw me up above his shoulders in excitement when the siren went. F****** scary view from up there. Euphoric and shitting myself at the same time lol.

The 2010 and 2018 PF's - such dominance they stand out for me.

Of course there's the 58 title win, no one gave us a chance it was a fait accompli that the dees would match our 4 peat. Well we didn't let em, we out psyche'd em and never gave em a sniff. True reflection of the Pies gritty spirit
Was a recall of the machine years with total physical intimidation from the get go but then left the Dee's to settle up scores while we scored the goals lol.

The way I see it, no matter now many flags we win, we'd still be largely behind the amount we've lost.
How many would we have to win before we get passed the legacy of Grand Final defeat? I certainly think back-to-back flags is all I need to die peacefully, but in reality we are doomed to our past defeats no matter how good we may get in the future.
Really - like so may others - you need to get past those defeats. I've lived through most of them and endured the consequences, it certainly does no good to keep them alive - let it go and focus on the present and future.

Dwelling on past defeats is the stuff of nightmares and will lead you down dark pathways.

Re the fait accompli - the PF against Richmond was for me the closest to this description in recent years. Honestly can’t recall another so highly expected finals win for our opponent - only to have us smash them out of the park.

Even the Victoria police were making announcements about enhanced security on Swan St and Bridge Rd - for Grand Final night!

Talk about getting ahead of themselves...:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a different take.
If we get an “era team” ie win a few flags in a period of time with essentially a core group, it will allay a lot of the past. True, some GFs we should not have lost but others, in reality, we just weren’t the best team.

Regardless always forwards never backwards.

Really - like so may others - you need to get past those defeats. I've lived through most of them and endured the consequences, it certainly does no good to keep them alive - let it go and focus on the present and future.

Dwelling on past defeats is the stuff of nightmares and will lead you down dark pathways.
Thanks, I understand where you're coming from on this.
Though it's not the actual defeats that I hold on to, but the thought we may never get there again in the near future.

You obviously had too much to drink before the game. :)
We were never 50 points down.
We were 5 goals down.
It was ANZAC day so early start to drinking is understandable.
It was Anzac Day 2014, Essendont scored the first 7 goals of the game and then we tore them a new one. I cant remember the exact margin before we came back, but it certainly was close to 50 pts before we kicked the next 11 ? Goals I think.
The next week we had Carltoon, this time we started hot and kicked the first 10 goals (I think), before backing off and letting them make the score look a little less embarrassing for them. I was a the “G” for both of these games and on Anzac Day the Essondont supporters didn’t even have the heart to bite back when the Pies people baited them on the way out. The looks of despair on their face was just beautiful.

Last edited:
Round 16 1981

Went into the game against Carlton at Vicpark one game clear but equal % with them.
Down by 20 at half time, we snag 7 in the 3rd, Davis and Daicos delivering.
We stalled in the last, with Carlton forever drawing closer. A win puts us two games clear, six games to go. A loss puts us 2nd.
What seemed like the longest time on ever, we hold on by a point.
The vital top spot is ours, with finals closing. This is the year.
Next week we lose to South in Sydney, then to essendon in our first Sunday game.
Back to 2nd. Round 20 sees Neale Daniher turn it on, putting us back on top. Funny watching the huge MCG crowd cheering transistors telling the story at princes park.
Can we hang on this time.

NO. In round 22 we play in my mind the worst game I've ever seen us play, against the Roy's in a mudheap at Vicpark. Lose top spot. Lose the weeks rest (cost us the flag IMO). Lose the qualy to John Mossops only good game ever. Make the GF but ........

Oh yeah, this was about one game, right.

Oh by the way that Anzac Day game in 2014, it took until the 11 minute mark in the 1st, for our first disposal to hit a teammate. It was looking sooooo ugly and the Bummers supporters were letting us know all about it. They went a bit quiet for the next 3 quarters though. Hahahaha.

It was Anzac Day 2014, Essendont scored the first 7 goals of the game and then we tore them a new one. I cant remember the exact margin before we came back, but it certainly was close to 50 pts before we kicked the next 11 ? Goals I think.
The next week we had Carltoon, this time we started hot and kicked the first 10 goals (I think), before backing off and letting them make the score look a little less embarrassing for them. I was a the “G” for both of these games and on Anzac Day the Essondont supporters didn’t even have the heart to bite back when the Pies people baited them on the way out. The looks of despair on their face was just beautiful.
You can see the "scoring progression" for the Anzac Day game here: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2014/040520140425.html#prog

37 points (0.3.3 - 6.4.40) was the biggest margin (2m 9s into the 2nd quarter). Essendon had 6 goals before we got our first. We kicked 9 goals in a row.

A week later against Carlton we kicked 7 in a row (they got the first goal of the game), and we kicked 10 goals to their 1 at one stage.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2014/030420140502.html#prog

Last edited:

I remember seeing all the flags since 1999. So that’s 20?

Granted we only won one of them.

Thanks, I understand where you're coming from on this.
Though it's not the actual defeats that I hold on to, but the thought we may never get there again in the near future.
Certainly true enough but it's something every football fan needs to get their head around now with an 18 team competition and the AFL enforced 'cycle of regeneration' - if your team misses it's shot during it's AFL decreed prime period there is nothing for it but to endure the consequences.

However on the plus side I do believe last year was an outlier - we certainly were a season or more away from where we could have reasonably expected to even make the big dance.

Except on rare occasions of internal strife within the club we have always outperformed out personnel profile so to me whilst the GF was a pleasant surprise it was certainly no shock and I expect us to be up for a few more seasons yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back