Famous Collingwood Wins

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess the question that needs to be asked is which was better? The 2010 Prelim or the 2018 Prelim?

Ignore the results of the following weeks and look at the games at face value. We went against the odds in both games, playing the reigning premiers. Both were blowouts by the end with little to no resistance brought on by the opposition. A clinical display.

These games in my mind are too hard to pick between.

I guess the question that needs to be asked is which was better? The 2010 Prelim or the 2018 Prelim?

Ignore the results of the following weeks and look at the games at face value. We went against the odds in both games, playing the reigning premiers. Both were blowouts by the end with little to no resistance brought on by the opposition. A clinical display.

The difference between those two Prelims is that Geelong were THE power at the time - having been at the top and dominating for half a decade whereas Tiggies were provenly flash in the pan premiers.

Great question. Both absolutely cracking games, both in my top five ever.

The 2010 Cats team was significantly better than the 2018 Tigers team. It's not even close.

But then again, the Collingwood 2018 side was signficantly weaker than the Collingwood 2010 side. Injured and given little hope in every final they played. So to pull off a victory like that against a heavily favoured opponent who'd beaten us twice that year is an exceptional against-the-odds effort.

They're both A+ games, but for sheer level of play, the 2010 prelim probably takes it, as both sides on the park were of higher calibre.

And as a side note - the calibre of football Collingwood put together in the first half of that 2010 prelim is, in my opinion, the best that has been played in the history of the game, by any side.

Great question. Both absolutely cracking games, both in my top five ever.

The 2010 Cats team was significantly better than the 2018 Tigers team. It's not even close.

But then again, the Collingwood 2018 side was signficantly weaker than the Collingwood 2010 side. Injured and given little hope in every final they played. So to pull off a victory like that against a heavily favoured opponent who'd beaten us twice that year is an exceptional against-the-odds effort.

They're both A+ games, but for sheer level of play, the 2010 prelim probably takes it, as both sides on the park were of higher calibre.

And as a side note - the calibre of football Collingwood put together in the first half of that 2010 prelim is, in my opinion, the best that has been played in the history of the game, by any side.

The 2010 PF for me; was the best half of footy I’ve ever seen us play. I expected us to be there and to win, and we did. 10 out of 10.

2018 was great, but I was still getting used to the idea of even being in the PF. Then to make it thru to the GF absolutely floored me. 2018 also had the added benefit of shutting up the Richmond supporters. 9 out of 10.

The 2010 PF was so good that my young self felt bad for my Geelong-supporting mum by half time. Still have clear memories of what is, in conjunction with the 2018 PF, the greatest/most dominant displays of football I have seen from the Collingwood Football Club.

I can think of only one other game that would rank with the the 1990 GF and the 2018 & 2010 PFs (and admittedly I've missed a bit of footy in my time). That was a game in 1969 against Carlton. We kicked 12 in the third quarter to turn a close game (I think we were 2 or 3 down at half time) into a total and abject humiliation.
After the result and the magnitude of the performance, the next best thing about this game was a comedy skit on the next day's 'World of Sport' where the Panel bastardised the Carlton theme song and sang a full rendition of "We killed the Navy Blues," with the losing coach Ron Barassi laughing nervously on the sidelines. One of my favourite footy moments -- I can still see the look on his face.
The bittersweet thing is that that 1969 side was the best in the comp by a mile -- a magnificent unit with stars all over the ground. It finished two games clear on top in an 18-round fixture. Inexplicably, it went out in straight sets. I'm still baffled about that.

The 2010 PF was so good that my young self felt bad for my Geelong-supporting mum by half time. Still have clear memories of what is, in conjunction with the 2018 PF, the greatest/most dominant displays of football I have seen from the Collingwood Football Club.

As Collingwood is my missus team, would have to be 2018 PF.
Couldn't shut her up, still can't!!!!!

My cousins are Richmond so couldn't bring myself to talk with them for a few days for fear of what I might say :p
I'm glad we can all have a laugh after all has been said and done.

I can think of only one other game that would rank with the the 1990 GF and the 2018 & 2010 PFs (and admittedly I've missed a bit of footy in my time). That was a game in 1969 against Carlton. We kicked 12 in the third quarter to turn a close game (I think we were 2 or 3 down at half time) into a total and abject humiliation.
After the result and the magnitude of the performance, the next best thing about this game was a comedy skit on the next day's 'World of Sport' where the Panel bastardised the Carlton theme song and sang a full rendition of "We killed the Navy Blues," with the losing coach Ron Barassi laughing nervously on the sidelines. One of my favourite footy moments -- I can still see the look on his face.
The bittersweet thing is that that 1969 side was the best in the comp by a mile -- a magnificent unit with stars all over the ground. It finished two games clear on top in an 18-round fixture. Inexplicably, it went out in straight sets. I'm still baffled about that.
At Princes Park even! At the time it was the highest score Carlton had ever conceded. Greening (still only an 18-year-old) kicked 7, while five players kicked 3 each. Would have been great to have seen it live.

1547085869926.png
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1969/030419690426.html

It was a 20-round comp. We did finish top but only on percentage (over Carlton). Richmond came from 4th to win the flag in fine style.
1547088058562.png
https://afltables.com/afl/seas/1969.html

My cousins are Richmond so couldn't bring myself to talk with them for a few days for fear of what I might say :p
I'm glad we can all have a laugh after all has been said and done.

Yeah all good caloschwaby
Considering they're worse things to be upset about, a game of footy is just that, 1 game of footy
Seriously the missus has one over me with the 2018PF, as she says H&A games aren't included
I must say, she is right, so until the next time we meet in a final (hopefully sooner rather than later) good luck to you all for the coming seasons
Go Tigers, Go Magpies

That was a game in 1969 against Carlton. We kicked 12 in the third quarter to turn a close game (I think we were 2 or 3 down at half time) into a total and abject humiliation.

I was at that game with my dad-I will never forget it. I only caught glimpses of the action through the packed crowd but I remember seeing Johnny Greening snap a couple of sausage rolls. After the game a drunk Pie fan ruffled my hair and screamed "GO PIES!" and I felt the electricity rush through my body! I felt like I belonged to a big beautiful tribe and I've never lost that feeling since that day.

You’re married;

just wait your turn to speak...

:think:

:p

2010 Prelim was on a whole different level to this year, purely in the face of the quality of opposition. Geelong were basically in their prime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2010 Prelim was on a whole different level to this year, purely in the face of the quality of opposition. Geelong were basically in their prime.
Wouldn't you say Richmond were in their prime also? Minor Premiers, smashed Hawthorn a couple of weeks prior. You were hard pressed to find many Collingwood supporters who were overly optimistic.

I remember Matthew Scarlett post that game saying how they just didn't know what to do. The pressure they were under was like nothing they had ever seen before.
Sitting in the stands and watching that Leigh Brown bouncing goal was the clincher for me. Sat back in my seat and just enjoyed the ride after that. That was just a glorious night. I'm not complaining about 2018, but when that Brown goal went through, I was never more confident of winning the flag than I was at that moment. Everything just fell into place for us.

That Richmond side wouldn't hold a candle to Geelong of 2010, more my point.
Spot on, Geelong at that stage were goliaths and had been the dominant side in the comp for years.

Richmond had a couple of years with practically zero injuries or suspensions, fluke a flag and all of a sudden that flog Malloy is in everyone's face

Spot on, Geelong at that stage were goliaths and had been the dominant side in the comp for years.

Richmond had a couple of years with practically zero injuries or suspensions, fluke a flag and all of a sudden that flog Malloy is in everyone's face

Based on what you've all been saying about teams in their prime.....makes '58 the Primo Collingwood victory of all time. Beating the silver tails on their own ground in the midst of them winning 6 flags and when they'd won 3 in a row and were going to match our mighty "
"machine"
I still say its the most important and best win in our club's history. (so lucky I was there)

Based on what you've all been saying about teams in their prime.....makes '58 the Primo Collingwood victory of all time. Beating the silver tails on their own ground in the midst of them winning 6 flags and when they'd won 3 in a row and were going to match our mighty "
"machine"
I still say its the most important and best win in our club's history. (so lucky I was there)
Agree as important a win as any in our history.
For what it would have meant.
Retaining 4 in a row.
Being the genuine under dog. Trailing at quarter time.

I’m not sure there has been another grand final where we can say we genuinely pinched a flag being the clear under dog.

Glad you had that special memory of being there.

The 2010 PF for me; was the best half of footy I’ve ever seen us play. I expected us to be there and to win, and we did. 10 out of 10.

2018 was great, but I was still getting used to the idea of even being in the PF. Then to make it thru to the GF absolutely floored me. 2018 also had the added benefit of shutting up the Richmond supporters. 9 out of 10.

They were disgraceful all year.

I remember Matthew Scarlett post that game saying how they just didn't know what to do. The pressure they were under was like nothing they had ever seen before.
Sitting in the stands and watching that Leigh Brown bouncing goal was the clincher for me. Sat back in my seat and just enjoyed the ride after that. That was just a glorious night. I'm not complaining about 2018, but when that Brown goal went through, I was never more confident of winning the flag than I was at that moment. Everything just fell into place for us.
Bit of a tool by all accounts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back