Famous deaths that have really saddened you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Cornell. This cover of Black Hole Sun, performed by Norah Jones 5 days after Chris' death on the stage of the Fox Theatre in Detroit - the last stage Chris played on before he went back to his hotel room - still breaks me;

Last edited:

Yep. Only her voice could turn a schmaltzy bank jingle (We've Only Just Begun) into something really worth listening to.
And she was an accidental, reluctant singer to boot thanks to her mother.
Better stop before I turn this into a Karen tribute thread.
Im okay with that. Everyone should listen. Or better, watch the videos. The clothes in the 70s were something else !

Clive James is another death that saddened me, he was my favourite writer and I had read all of his autobiographies so I felt like I knew him personally.

He had been in poor health for a number of years though so his death didn't come as a surprise and at least he checked out at a good time in November 2019, just before the Covid pandemic started. At his age and with his poor health there is a good chance Covid would have knocked him off anyway.

Clive James is another death that saddened me, he was my favourite writer and I had read all of his autobiographies so I felt like I knew him personally.

He had been in poor health for a number of years though so his death didn't come as a surprise and at least he checked out at a good time in November 2019, just before the Covid pandemic started. At his age and with his poor health there is a good chance Covid would have knocked him off anyway.

we watched his bbc show as a family during years in the uk. wholesome and humerous viewing

Many have saddened me but 2 have actually made me cry.
Robin Williams was just something I couldn't get my head around. The funniest bloke on earth wasn't going to make me laugh anymore.

And, Better Loosen Up, the champion racehorse. For some bizarre reason, I laid a bet on this horse in his 2nd ever start at Bendigo in early 88 and he won. I got stuck on him and literally bet on him to win every time he raced, I did not miss 1 of his races. He turned out to be like a best friend, in an equine way. He outlasted many of my girlfriends and helped me through a few tough times in relationships, job losses and illnesses. Every time he raced in Melbourne I made it to the track and always went to his stall. Aside from his huge success, I was devastated when he bowed a tendon at his absolute peak. He was the best horse in the world at the time. I'm still filthy at Simon Marshal for his ride on him in the 92 Cox Plate when he should've won, instead trying to squeeze through a gap that wasn't there. I bet on him in the 92 Melbourne Cup (even though I knew he was coming to the end).
One of the best days I've ever had was going out to Living Legends with the family and getting my photo with the champ and showing my kids one of my true sporting heroes. I still have the double page spread from the Herald-Sun from the day he was retired.
I realise this sounds pretty *en weird, but he was my absolute sporting hero.

Robin Williams was just something I couldn't get my head around. The funniest bloke on earth wasn't going to make me laugh anymore.

And, Better Loosen Up, the champion racehorse. For some bizarre reason, I laid a bet on this horse in his 2nd ever start at Bendigo in early 88 and he won. I got stuck on him and literally bet on him to win every time he raced, I did not miss 1 of his races. He turned out to be like a best friend, in an equine way. He outlasted many of my girlfriends and helped me through a few tough times in relationships, job losses and illnesses. Every time he raced in Melbourne I made it to the track and always went to his stall. Aside from his huge success, I was devastated when he bowed a tendon at his absolute peak. He was the best horse in the world at the time. I'm still filthy at Simon Marshal for his ride on him in the 92 Cox Plate when he should've won, instead trying to squeeze through a gap that wasn't there. I bet on him in the 92 Melbourne Cup (even though I knew he was coming to the end).
One of the best days I've ever had was going out to Living Legends with the family and getting my photo with the champ and showing my kids one of my true sporting heroes. I still have the double page spread from the Herald-Sun from the day he was retired.
I realise this sounds pretty fu**en weird, but he was my absolute sporting hero.
Is that you Gerard whately?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that was harrowing. absolutely harrowing.

usually when a parent dies at story told in the media, you're reminded to hug your kids.

The moment I found out about it is something that will always stay with me, It was a real reminder not to take family and friends for granted.

Phil Hughes really got to me, as people have said you expect to not die when playing cricket.

Phil Hughes has probably saddened me the most.

Not only for the way he died but I always really wanted him to get another chance at Test level and succeed. I think CA could of treated him better..

The moment I found out about it is something that will always stay with me, It was a real reminder not to take family and friends for granted.

hear hear!!!!!!!

and hug your kids. probably not when they're holding a weapon.

Phil Hughes has probably saddened me the most.

the effect on cricket that summer was profound. It was like a cloud hanging over every ground.

Not only for the way he died but I always really wanted him to get another chance at Test level and succeed. I think CA could of treated him better..

after he left nsw?

I realise this sounds pretty fu**en weird, but he was my absolute sporting hero.
It’s not wierd , it’s fine.

Tinge of sadness for lots of people, but to return to the original point of the thread, REALLY saddened.

Karen Carpenter - so tragic, so needless. Wasn't even into The Carpenters but she had such a pure, angelic voice. So beautiful but she couldn't see that.
Ayrton Senna - I was an F1 nut, glued to the screen at 2am (NZ). Watching his death as it happened really made me question the sport and what it meant to me. Never viewed F1 the same since and have abandoned it entirely in the last 10 years.
Robin Williams to a lesser extent - sad, but I don't miss him like I knew him.
Tony Bourdain - you silly, silly bastard, why??? Why??? I was going through a very low patch myself when he died. Affected me very deeply and still does. We had so many attitudes/beliefs/feelings in common, he was exactly who I wanted to be, he was doing exactly what I wanted to do. If HE couldn't hack it, what hope is there for me?
Sean Lock - sad because he's recent, I'm sure in time he'll be another Robin Williams.

That's all who spring to mind.
Footy related .... without a doubt Darren Millane and Chris Mainwairing

Don't know if there are any long in the tooth Dons supporters here, but can any of you recall what you or your dads, uncles etc felt when John Coleman suddenly departed?
He was only in his early to mid forties from memory.
It was a bit of a shock at the time.

That's actually a pretty nice story. My username is a horses name. Nowhere near the league of Better Loosen Up but just a little country horse that I had a connection to.

Probably Chadwick Boseman because of how it happened and how young he was but none of them, really. I think it sucks, and I wonder what could've been with musicians, actors, and others that I liked, such as Bourdain, but they don't bother me that much. The only death that really saddened me in recent years was my dog, who was only 6 years old and got cancer, and before you know it, he was gone. He was such a beautiful dog, too, a blue merle border collie with a grey foot, black foot, and a black circle around his eye that looked like a pirate patch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back