Remove this Banner Ad

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
it's amazing how wayne carey dropping a few marks he normally would've taken helped create a folk hero for north fans

I imagine he's probably held in a similar regard to Mitch Morton for us swans fans... A brief, unassuming & completely forgettable career but absolutely turned it on when it mattered most.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I imagine he's probably held in a similar regard to Mitch Morton for us swans fans... A brief, unassuming & completely forgettable career but absolutely turned it on when it mattered most.

Had a decent highlight reel for a short career. Put the flair away when his Sydney teammates told him they didn't trust him.

Retired at 26. Had the impression he had some sort of pressure-related mental issues which was why Richmond cleared him for a token pick.

May 29, 2016
Tasmania
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Nobody's mentioned the 2011 Grand Final.
The greatest 3 quarters in VFL/AFL Grand Final history. Two quality sides 20-2 and 19-3 throughout the H&A season living up to the expectation. High scoring, rain, shine, contested footy, stoppages, a big injury occurring, classic moments from both sides.

I'd admit, the last quarter is a letdown for Neutral Supporters and Collingwood Supporters. However, this is probably the most underrated grand final in the 21st century.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
How many grand finals have an iconic piece of commentary that can automatically bring to mind the game? The Eagles have had one in a few of their grand finals.

'Matera sets sail for home and the Eagles hit the front.'
'Leo Barry, you star.'
'Who would have thought the sequel would be just as good as the original.'

The 2018 grand final was pretty epic too but I can't recall the specific commentary when Sheed marked or goaled.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
How many grand finals have an iconic piece of commentary that can automatically bring to mind the game? The Eagles have had one in a few of their grand finals.

The 2018 grand final was pretty epic too but I can't recall the specific commentary when Sheed marked or goaled.
BT: "If Sheed kicks this, I think the Eagles can win the Grand Final." :drunk:

Nor any of the 7 Grand Finals played between 1927 and 1930 - when Collingwood had a rule that allowed them to challenge the winner of the Grand Final, or demand a do-over and ignore the result of the Grand Final and play it again.

He also didnt find Hawthorn's 3-peat in the modern era, or Richmond winning the 1st Grand Final held outside of Victoria.
“Collingwood had a rule” lmao wish we could just make our own rules up now.

The structure of the finals series was known by all combatants before a ball was bounced. Not our fault we were the ones in position to benefit from it having clinched the minor premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That 79 incident is so over-rated.

Collingwood blew that game. They were the best part of five goals up probably 20 minutes into the second quarter and then let the Blues rattle off five goals before the end of the term.

And the ground was a bog, with the 19s and Ressies being played on it beforehand just to make matters worse.

As for the incident itself, even if the boundary umpire was caught behind the play, the goal umpire was still in good position. Plus it happened a good 10 minutes or so before the final siren, so the Pies still had plenty of time to turn things around.

Anyway, as this well constructed and highly accurate replay shows, the ball was clearly in.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Ted's little known brother, playing under a pseudonym.
Think OP just has not got a clue....ha ha
Lesson here, is do not start a thread like this if you have got not much clue about the subject matter which given OP own words, indicates anything beyond a few years ago, he not really have much clue about.

Clue for OP....
1631697609529.jpeg

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
I think 2005 is probably the most famous of the AFL era. Nail-biting finish, ended the longest drought in VFL/AFL history and ended with one of the greatest marks/pieces of commentary of all time.
Mate, it falls under “lucky it was close”. It was an all time shocking game.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast

'Matera sets sail for home and the Eagles hit the front.'
'Leo Barry, you star.'
'Who would have thought the sequel would be just as good as the original.'

Really? 'He's kicked the most impossible goal' still gives me goosebumps when I hear it.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
These would be my Top 10 of the modern era (which I define from 1966 as TV/Commentary showcased the game better).

1. 1970 Amazing game, amazing comeback. I think this game scarred Collingwood who probably could've won another 1 or 2 in the ensuing years
2. 1984 If you're ever going to beat your nemesis, this is the way. Behind all day, toughing it out in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, then blowing them away with a 9 goal last quarter.
3. 1977 Both games. Beautiful days on both occasions with high quality football.
4. 1989 Top quality, high scoring, tough game of football. That f'kn countdown clock spoilt the climax!!
5. 1967 Considered the best GF of all time at that stage. Still rates highly.
6. 1966 St.Kilda's only flag in a nail biter. TV coverage and commentary herald the new age.
7. 2009 The 2 best teams all year with the result unknown until almost the end.
8. 2016 Bulldogs 1st flag in 62 years becoming apparent midway through the last quarter
9. 2001 Like the season, Essendon leading early only to be overrun by Brisbane.
10. 1972 This one still hurts. Richmond's score would have won any other GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back