Remove this Banner Ad

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers, Houston Astros
My first game of league B Grade footy my best mate and I were lining up across half back and my mate looked at me and said - "you take the smaller bloke". It was Dale Kickett. He kicked 10 goals on me in the first half and we just lost by 225 points. Craig O'Callaghan was also playing and he got about 75 touches. Have also played against Dion Woods. Think we lost that too by about 100 points.

Playing 4th grade cricket Ive faced I few blokes in the nets who have played for their state. Brad Knowles probably the most successful.

And thats about it.

My old boss lined up against Merv Hughes and got 16 kicked on him.

What about you guys

I faced James Pattinson when he was 14 or 15. He was already lightning quick and far too good for me. Played footy with or against a few current AFL footballers. No great stories from those encounters, though.

My father opened the batting against Merv Hughes in a district cricket game in 1985, however. It was on a nasty, seaming Western Oval deck and dad's side was promptly shot out for 71 against an attack featuring not only Hughes, but also Tony Dodemaide and Colin Miller. Dad carried his bat for 31.

At one stage, he apparently hit Merv for six onto Geelong Road when he bowled a nice juicy one on Dad's legs. Anyhow, Merv was none too impressed by dad's pluck and followed it up with two searing bouncers that my father reckons are the fastest two balls he's ever faced. The next delivery was not an out and out bouncer, but a searing in cutter that chopped dad in half and got him square in the jatz.

Dad, of course, went down like he'd been shot.

Merv continued his follow through and finished up hovering over him. He leaned down to my father and said very matter of a factly, "hey x, you just got kissed on the utensil."

Got a best on ground in under 18s playing full back on Sam Gilbert. Yes he was 16 and no I'm not sure he'd seen the forward 50 before that day but his continued afl career is still a source of bemusement

Stuart MacGill was in my hockey team in under 13's.

These days I play with and against many former top hockey players in the vets leagues.

Plenty of cricketers. Most guys that play/ed for NSW born between ~1982 and ~1988 I would've come against at some point through the junior and/or grade system. Held my own pretty well but was a level or two below them in the juniors. In the grade system they had less reputation and it was usually young guys coming up through the ranks that you would play. For instance I played Steve Smith in 3rd grade, but he was only 14 and we had no idea who he was, nor did we care. The hardest cricket I ever played was Poideven Gray (grade U/21's) because you'd come up guys who were no longer juniors, and where now legitimate guns and some even on the verge of NSW selection, and I played that for 3 seasons from u/19's.

Football not so many. Not such a hot bed for Aussie Rules in Sydney, but I tagged Paul Bevan (former Swans player) out of an Under 16's game once and got BOG from the coach. Aaron Rogers got drafted out of our junior competition but he wasn't up to it at AFL level. Absolutely dominated our league. Jarrad McVeigh was a couple of years younger but played against us and carved up. Must have had 50 touches.

The only League/Union player I can think was John Sutton (South Sydney Premiership captain last year) played in our junior union competition.
Played and coached cricket against Shannon Hurn. He was a gun cricketer, even at 14
Played Australian Under 17's from memory. Leg Spinner?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a bag kicked on me by George Bailey in high school. He would have been 3 or 4 years older than me though.

Got pipped by Nathan Grima in the last 100m of a rep cross country race. Pretty sure he has won North's "famous" time trail before.

Played alongside Luke McGuane in Under 14's, he got by on his last name then as much as he does now.

Played golf with Ash Noffke the other week, good bloke.

Thankfully never played cricket against anyone with talent, would have been ugly!

Played alongside jarred Ellis (Gold Coast rookie list) for a few years in u/16-18's and went to school with him.
As nice a bloke as anyone. I'll still catch up with him for drinks when he comes home during breaks.

Stood ex Sturt player Eddie Fry once, despite him being five years retired, and nearly twenty years older, it wasn't very pretty.
I remember dad asking me what number i wanted on my very first sturt guernsey as a kid , my bro took Peter Motley's #2 , i said i wanted 6...had nfi who it was....Eddie

Castled former central districts and state full forward rudi Mandemaker in an Adel & suburban c-grade game years ago , he went the ol' heave over cow corner but old mate nswcrow's subtle variation-off cutters had him all at sea :D

Last edited:
My best would probably be Cameron Ling. I always played half forward but got switched to backline to cover him in a final. Kept him to 2 goals and was pretty happy with that.

Worked with a guy who beat Michael Phelps as a young teen. I thought that was impressive.

Was it this guy by any chance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back