Opinion Fan misery index by team supported

Remove this Banner Ad

I was told by a tigers fan(there are many decent tigers fans that are part of what makes Richmond a strong club)in this thread that I’m very miserable only to click on his profile to find that he signed up for big footy only a few weeks after the 2017 flag and since had over 6000 post saying how good tigers are and how bad everyone else is.
I’m the miserable one??
Cold you imagine his existence prior to 2017?

I bet alone, sitting in his mum's basement reminiscing 1980 while looking at KB posters on the wall.

Those 30 odd years of nothing must've dragged on. No wonder they're out in force now.

I’m not miserable!
being an anchor doesn’t take much for me to get excited.
If you dwell on the past your blinded to the future.
🌈⚓this is our year⚓🌈
It’s an interesting point. During our worst years, winning a game felt like winning a final. So amongst all the misery, there were a handful of times every year where I experienced unbridled joy.

I bet alone, sitting in his mum's basement reminiscing 1980 while looking at KB posters on the wall.

Those 30 odd years of nothing must've dragged on. No wonder they're out in force now.
Or he’s an 13yr old kid that got his magnify glass confiscated and ants were replaced by afl supporters whose teams didn’t make the 8?
Who knows?

It is hard to work out what happened to Richmond when they were in the wilderness

82 in a GF - after a golden era - ok they had the trade war with Coll - which was detrimental to both clubs

But 82 after the success they had - you can have quiet decade - and i dont think most supporters would complain about that - so that takes you to the early 90s

Now i went to a Rich v Geel game i think it was 96 at the MCG -Colbert flattened Bond with a shirtfront i can remember that - and Ablett took a terrific mark opposed to 2 Rich defenders

But Rich won the game by about 10 goals ( Geel wernt world beaters - about 8th to 10th ) so Rich at that stage were a decent team - and had a base to work from - i dont know what happened after that year - to still have an extended drought etc .
If you look at Richmond's successful era between the mid-1960's to the early 1980's, Richmond was a sh!t run club. Ruthless to the point of eating their own. I know Ian Stewart won a Brownlow and played in a premiership team, but the way the club ditched a legend in Billy Barrott was disgraceful. The club was lucky it had a committed group of players who loved their coach and played for him. I often think how Tommy Hafey (and by extension the RFC) would've gone if he had 100% support of the board and had his stamp on that 1980 team.

Even so, Tony Jewell coached the club to a premiership in 1980 and was sacked in favour of Francis Bourke after missing the finals in 1981, even though there were extenuating circumstances like injury to key players and the premiership hangover which seemed to visit the Tigers. My opinion is the club saw a legend like Kevin Sheedy have an impact at Essendon and thought a contemporary legend in Bourke could do the same. I love Francis Bourke, but he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. Fancy pulling Malthouse's shoulder out on the Thursday before the 1982 GF. Dropping Brian Taylor after picking him in the starting 20 for the GF. Unable to play both Raines and Rioli in the same midfield, unable to play both Roach and Taylor in the same forward line. It's academic, but I firmly believe Richmond would've been premiers in 1982 had Tony Jewell been coach. Following this, the captain, vice-captain, and deputy vice-captain in Cloke, Raines and Wood all left the club. Instead of licking our wounds, the club embarked on a tit-for-tat war with Collingwood which sent both clubs broke.

After rallying its supporters during the Save Our Skins campaign in 1990 and saving the club from extinction, there was a glimmer of light in the mid-90's under Northey. No sooner had the club returned to finals football and looking some kind of chance in that time, it once again aimed the shotgun at its feet and pulled the trigger. Letting Northey walk courtesy of not extending his contract was a disaster which took over a decade to recover. Northey had the players playing for him.

The game against Geelong you mention was in the later rounds of 1996. Robert Walls himself said the place was flat when he arrived and it took him 6 months to lift the players. Confirming my view of likely success of some form had Northey remained. Richmond finished the 1996 season strongly but had to play the eventual premiers in NM in the final round to make the 8. NM had to win to cement a double chance. Richmond pushed NM but wasn't good enough.

The stumble back into the abyss saw the club in debt and operating on a shoe string budget. Success is very unlikely to follow if the entity is not thriving and vibrant. Lack of funds in the football department meant very limited recruiting staff, development coaches, etc, etc. Richmond chose Jarryd Oakley-Nichols with its 1st pick (pick 8) in the 2005 National Draft without even seeing him play!! Who you might ask. Correct.

This Richmond juggernaut had its origins in the late 2000's under the presidency of Gary March. Get the best people, clear the debt, invest in the football department, and the players are the last piece of the jigsaw. From its failings of the previous 3 decades, this club is now purring. This club is not going away anytime soon.

It's no surprise your club the pussies have been around the mark for over a decade and a half. They are a very well managed club. Geelong too came from the verge of oblivion 20 years ago to the strong club today courtesy of excellent management.

You keep using the word miserable to suit your stupid table ignoring fans of clubs who tell you you're wrong.

You're no expert on the thoughts and feelings of any clubs fans except your own.

The only delusion that exists is in your head and thinking how clever you are.

So you have surveyed all blues fans??

Please table Ur results then.i guess you don't do irony.

I'm not trying to say I know anything.
Just using a metric as an indicator of misery.

U have some issues dude.

So you have surveyed all blues fans??

Please table Ur results then.i guess you don't do irony.

I'm not trying to say I know anything.
Just using a metric as an indicator of misery.

U have some issues dude.

I've been going to the football every season with them you peanut.

Unlike you.

Your metric is turd.

Nah he probably barracked for West Coast prior to 2017 and could see what was coming so jumped ship. BTW can't help notice you joined the season after a premiership as well...

Nah he probably barracked for West Coast prior to 2017 and could see what was coming so jumped ship. BTW can't help notice you joined the season after a premiership as well...
Yeah, nice try to pencil me in as a bandwagoner with my join date.

I came on board right in the middle of the WCE drug saga, at our lowest ever ebb as a club. I was here to back my club up at a time of hardship.

I didn't join up to sniff my own farts like the Richmond supporters here been doing here over the last 4 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe how many Richmond supporters have surfaced now that they are successful. We were warned by the supporters of the other Victorian sides that they were a sleeping giant and they were 100% correct.

Their bandwagon supporters have come out from lurking in the dark corners of their world to claim dominance of over everyone else.

I have to laugh at their obsession of everything West Coast though because even with all of their success, they still aren't even the biggest club in Australia.
They had 72,000 members before the premiership in 2017. And that’s after 37 years of being s**t.

Every club has casual or “bandwagoner fans”. I bet if West Coast were crap for 20-30 years then won a flag they would shoot up in members.

If you look at Richmond's successful era between the mid-1960's to the early 1980's, Richmond was a sh!t run club. Ruthless to the point of eating their own. I know Ian Stewart won a Brownlow and played in a premiership team, but the way the club ditched a legend in Billy Barrott was disgraceful. The club was lucky it had a committed group of players who loved their coach and played for him. I often think how Tommy Hafey (and by extension the RFC) would've gone if he had 100% support of the board and had his stamp on that 1980 team.

Even so, Tony Jewell coached the club to a premiership in 1980 and was sacked in favour of Francis Bourke after missing the finals in 1981, even though there were extenuating circumstances like injury to key players and the premiership hangover which seemed to visit the Tigers. My opinion is the club saw a legend like Kevin Sheedy have an impact at Essendon and thought a contemporary legend in Bourke could do the same. I love Francis Bourke, but he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. Fancy pulling Malthouse's shoulder out on the Thursday before the 1982 GF. Dropping Brian Taylor after picking him in the starting 20 for the GF. Unable to play both Raines and Rioli in the same midfield, unable to play both Roach and Taylor in the same forward line. It's academic, but I firmly believe Richmond would've been premiers in 1982 had Tony Jewell been coach. Following this, the captain, vice-captain, and deputy vice-captain in Cloke, Raines and Wood all left the club. Instead of licking our wounds, the club embarked on a tit-for-tat war with Collingwood which sent both clubs broke.

After rallying its supporters during the Save Our Skins campaign in 1990 and saving the club from extinction, there was a glimmer of light in the mid-90's under Northey. No sooner had the club returned to finals football and looking some kind of chance in that time, it once again aimed the shotgun at its feet and pulled the trigger. Letting Northey walk courtesy of not extending his contract was a disaster which took over a decade to recover. Northey had the players playing for him.

The game against Geelong you mention was in the later rounds of 1996. Robert Walls himself said the place was flat when he arrived and it took him 6 months to lift the players. Confirming my view of likely success of some form had Northey remained. Richmond finished the 1996 season strongly but had to play the eventual premiers in NM in the final round to make the 8. NM had to win to cement a double chance. Richmond pushed NM but wasn't good enough.

The stumble back into the abyss saw the club in debt and operating on a shoe string budget. Success is very unlikely to follow if the entity is not thriving and vibrant. Lack of funds in the football department meant very limited recruiting staff, development coaches, etc, etc. Richmond chose Jarryd Oakley-Nichols with its 1st pick (pick 8) in the 2005 National Draft without even seeing him play!! Who you might ask. Correct.

This Richmond juggernaut had its origins in the late 2000's under the presidency of Gary March. Get the best people, clear the debt, invest in the football department, and the players are the last piece of the jigsaw. From its failings of the previous 3 decades, this club is now purring. This club is not going away anytime soon.

It's no surprise your club the pussies have been around the mark for over a decade and a half. They are a very well managed club. Geelong too came from the verge of oblivion 20 years ago to the strong club today courtesy of excellent management.

You make a good point about Gary March - he is the forgotten man in all of this

Yeah, nice try to pencil me in as a bandwagoner with my join date.

I came on board right in the middle of the WCE drug saga, at our lowest ever ebb as a club. I was here to back my club up at a time of hardship.

I didn't join up to sniff my own farts like the Richmond supporters here been doing here over the last 4 years.
Didn't you just do exactly that, "pencil him in" because of his join date? But most probably aren't just "Richmond supporters", some would be former supporters of other clubs that have finally seen the light.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back