Fan threatened with eviction from MCG for barracking too loud

Demonic Ascent

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Eltham Turtles, NY Jets, Celtics
Standing room. Boys will be boys. Letting off some steam etc.

If you want to abuse, no half measures. Go all out or don't bother
He was doing it for the sake of doing it, he was a drunk moron there was no "boys will be boys".

Didn't bother me but the elderly female security guard obviously took exception to it and he was standing directly behind the seating area (not the tiered "standing room" area) in between M18/19 and the take away joints behind. Plenty of kids and elderly supporters around who don't want to be subjected to that rubbish. I can understand letting of steam with the odd profanity but he was drunk and doing it to be deliberately provocative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SHAKESPEARE

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He was doing it for the sake of doing it, he was a drunk moron there was no "boys will be boys".

Didn't bother me but the elderly female security guard obviously took exception to it and he was standing directly behind the seating area (not the tiered "standing room" area) in between M18/19 and the take away joints behind. Plenty of kids and elderly supporters around who don't want to be subjected to that rubbish. I can understand letting of steam with the odd profanity but he was drunk and doing it to be deliberately provocative.
The filth in standing room is extraordinary

Engimal v3

Premium Gold
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Football is a social game, at what point does one person's right to enjoy the game his way override 9 people's enjoyment? It sounds like he was going on like a pork chop and was told to tone it down, something that's not exactly new.
From what we know, he was evicted (according to him) rather than getting any warning. Agree with your post otherwise.

Eagleboy68

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
Two sets of people need to shut the **** up.

1. The media during games highlighting dodgy frees or questioning frees when they are given.
2. Umpires need to be seen and not heard. Make the decision and stfu stop trying to be bigger than the game.

This bald headed flog wants to draw attention to himself and join all the other victims vying for attention in our game.

We go to the football to watch our team football not some bald headed flog having a cry.

The AFL is focusing on all the fringe groups and small social issues all the while alienating the most important people in the game...the supporters.

Pakenhamsaint

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melb. Stars
The AFL has issued a statement:
THE AFL has today concluded its investigation into an incident involving an umpire and a patron at the round 12 match between Carlton and the Brisbane Lions at Marvel Stadium on Saturday.

Marvel Stadium security were alerted to a patron who was leaning over the umpire's race and abusing umpire Mathew Nicholls as he was leaving the ground at halftime.

The patron was spoken to by both Marvel Stadium security and Victoria Police and subsequently removed from the venue for the remainder of the game.

The patron has received a warning and no further action will be taken.

The AFL and our venues want to create a safe and fun environment for all fans to come to and enjoy the football.

For over 100 years, the footy has been a place to come together, barrack, cheer and share in the experience in whichever way you choose.

There has been no directive from the AFL to change this.

The theatre of match day is one of the great sporting experiences, a place to be expressive and passionate about your team and the game, it always has been, it always will be.

In season 2019 there has been no change to the expectations of the behavior of everyone at games.

We want fans to enjoy attending matches and allow other fans around them to do the same.

While barracking and supporting is both strongly encouraged and a vital part of the game, offensive or aggressive behaviour will not be tolerated.

Fans who consume alcohol on a match day are to do so responsibly.

The AFL's zero tolerance stance on vilification remains.

Stadiums and police across the country have a zero-tolerance for members or supporters that abuse the opposition, umpires and other members and supporters, on grounds of race, religion, gender, disability and sexuality.

Fans who breach the conditions of entry may face consequences.

Anyone involved in football at any level, from the community to the elite should be able to enjoy the game in a safe and inclusive environment.

The AFL's message to everyone is clear - come to the footy, barrack as loud as you can, enjoy the game and do so in a responsible manner.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-12/afl-statement-on-fan-behaviour

So that clears that up. Not.

Asapartyhat

Team Captain
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Ron The Bear

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Very political. They don't say that the fan vilified Nichols or broke any guidelines, but they close the statement off with the spiel on vilification and their policy on no personal abuse which associates the fan/Nichols incident with personal abuse without explicitly saying anything.
Sounds like someone is owed an apology and Grand Final tickets.

The rest of us can try to guess what he did wrong.

Marcel Proust

Club Legend
AFL Club
Richmond
First they came for the boo-er, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a boo-er.

Then they came for the bald headed flogs, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a bald headed flogger.

Then they came for the one thats supported too loudly, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a loud.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back One Out

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
G.A.G.F.
The Richmond cheer squad should also leave their FLOGGERS at home if the bald-headed flog is umpiring

Maybe bring along some tissues to wave at the sook.

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
As someone who has the restraint to not verbally abuse people or bother those around me...this issue feels like a whole lot of nothing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

quotemokc

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
Make the umpires as faceless as possible then, they are not the entertainment people show up for.

ApplecrossWC

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Collingwood guy was probably carrying on way over the top like a complete lunatic and making people feel uncomfortable. It's 2019 and he still has a labret piercing, I have no doubt he deserved to be told to shut up.

Top Bottom