Fan threatened with eviction from MCG for barracking too loud

The AFL has issued a statement:
THE AFL has today concluded its investigation into an incident involving an umpire and a patron at the round 12 match between Carlton and the Brisbane Lions at Marvel Stadium on Saturday.

Marvel Stadium security were alerted to a patron who was leaning over the umpire's race and abusing umpire Mathew Nicholls as he was leaving the ground at halftime.

The patron was spoken to by both Marvel Stadium security and Victoria Police and subsequently removed from the venue for the remainder of the game.

The patron has received a warning and no further action will be taken.

The AFL and our venues want to create a safe and fun environment for all fans to come to and enjoy the football.

For over 100 years, the footy has been a place to come together, barrack, cheer and share in the experience in whichever way you choose.

There has been no directive from the AFL to change this.

The theatre of match day is one of the great sporting experiences, a place to be expressive and passionate about your team and the game, it always has been, it always will be.

In season 2019 there has been no change to the expectations of the behavior of everyone at games.

We want fans to enjoy attending matches and allow other fans around them to do the same.

While barracking and supporting is both strongly encouraged and a vital part of the game, offensive or aggressive behaviour will not be tolerated.

Fans who consume alcohol on a match day are to do so responsibly.

The AFL's zero tolerance stance on vilification remains.

Stadiums and police across the country have a zero-tolerance for members or supporters that abuse the opposition, umpires and other members and supporters, on grounds of race, religion, gender, disability and sexuality.

Fans who breach the conditions of entry may face consequences.

Anyone involved in football at any level, from the community to the elite should be able to enjoy the game in a safe and inclusive environment.

The AFL's message to everyone is clear - come to the footy, barrack as loud as you can, enjoy the game and do so in a responsible manner.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-12/afl-statement-on-fan-behaviour

So that clears that up. Not.

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Very political. They don't say that the fan vilified Nichols or broke any guidelines, but they close the statement off with the spiel on vilification and their policy on no personal abuse which associates the fan/Nichols incident with personal abuse without explicitly saying anything.

Sounds like someone is owed an apology and Grand Final tickets.

The rest of us can try to guess what he did wrong.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
First they came for the boo-er, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a boo-er.

Then they came for the bald headed flogs, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a bald headed flogger.

Then they came for the one thats supported too loudly, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a loud.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The AFL said:
zero tolerance for fans who abuse the opposition, umpires and other supporters, on grounds of race, religion, gender, disability and sexuality.
So which category does "bald-headed flog" fall under?

Race?
Religion?
Gender?
Disability?
Sexuality?

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Richmond cheer squad should also leave their FLOGGERS at home if the bald-headed flog is umpiring

Maybe bring along some tissues to wave at the sook.

Richmond_Cheer_Squad_Rd_21_2006_closeup.jpg

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
As someone who has the restraint to not verbally abuse people or bother those around me...this issue feels like a whole lot of nothing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This is Bay 13 c omment.

If you actually posted in Bay 13 you would realize that this is actually a MB comment. We don’t post that dumb stuff there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ApplecrossWC

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Collingwood guy was probably carrying on way over the top like a complete lunatic and making people feel uncomfortable. It's 2019 and he still has a labret piercing, I have no doubt he deserved to be told to shut up.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The Collingwood guy was probably carrying on way over the top like a complete lunatic and making people feel uncomfortable. It's 2019 and he still has a labret piercing, I have no doubt he deserved to be told to shut up.

Quality denouncement. 100% facts.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Say what you want when he is on the field umpiring, that's fair but when you make it personal by directly abusing him then it completely fair grounds to by evicted. Everyone is just ****ting themselves now because the umpires are actually hitting back for once. Not a single workplace in Australia tolerates this kind of abuse.

This.
You can't stand at the race hurling abuse directly at umps or players as they walk off, it's piss weak.
Good on Nicholls for saying something.

Back