Fantastic opening songs from debut albums

Remove this Banner Ad

The band: Steel Panther
The album: Feel the Steel
The song: Death to all but Metal

The opening line "fu** the Goo Goo Dolls, they can suck my balls" tells you everything you need to know about Steel Panther.
I'm fairly sure these guys are a spoof of the genre, but in a way that they actually love the genre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arcade Fire
Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
From their debut Funeral

Still their best song and their best album for mine

There’s no comparison. Funeral was a masterpiece, and they tried excruciatingly hard to replicate it over their next few LP’s before kind of deviating into making Talking Heads spiky guitar and backbeat drums type music. It was a nice change, but they sound like a completely different band, and didn’t reach any real high points.

You could nominate 5 or 6 belters, but Tunnels #1 is up there. Crown of Love is my personal favourite.

There’s no comparison. Funeral was a masterpiece, and they tried excruciatingly hard to replicate it over their next few LP’s before kind of deviating into making Talking Heads spiky guitar and backbeat drums type music. It was a nice change, but they sound like a completely different band, and didn’t reach any real high points.

You could nominate 5 or 6 belters, but Tunnels #1 is up there. Crown of Love is my personal favourite.
Love the album, but personally, I think the Suburbs is better.

Neon Bible was my entry point after first listening to the song, Keep the Car Running. Went back an album and was blown away. Wake Up is an amazing song, the sort that belongs in a museum preserved so not lost for future generations

the Suburbs was fine enough but not on the same level in my view. Didn’t mind Reflector, has a few nice things on there. Haven’t had a reason to get into the latest one though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back