Fantasy Books

Remove this Banner Ad

Read the first book years ago. It was good. Might have a look at the series later...

Did you end up looking at the Lois McMaster Bujold stuff more?
Yeah- I think I told you I bought two books and one on iBooks. Haven't looked for a couple of months though and haven't read the ones that I bought- apart from the first. I think I'm missing a volume which is why I was holding off. Couldn't get it cheaply anywhere but just need to get off my bum and look. I got distracted reading the Dwarves series (Heitz), some Brent Weeks (Night Angel), 2x Magisterium books- just fiddling around between different series, really.

Anybody bought the new Jim Butcher novel Aeronauts Windlass?
Not yet, saving it for my holidays in Jan, love the Dresden Files.
Reading the Moontide Quartet by David Hair, almost finished the second book and it's very, very good.
Equus

I'm about to finish Michael Scott's "The secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel". Has anybody got any suggestions of series semi-similar to this that were good or any other series they would recommend

I'm about to finish Michael Scott's "The secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel". Has anybody got any suggestions of series semi-similar to this that were good or any other series they would recommend

I am assuming you are looking for urban fantasy types? You can consider some of Garth Nix's stuff, e.g. Sabriel (3 books on the old kingdom) or the Keys to the Kingdom series (7 books - very reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland, feel wise).

I am assuming you are looking for urban fantasy types? You can consider some of Garth Nix's stuff, e.g. Sabriel (3 books on the old kingdom) or the Keys to the Kingdom series (7 books - very reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland, feel wise).
My brother has written 3 out of 4 in an Urban Fantasy series that has gotten great reviews. He's self published the first one.

11224210_929341170474690_3263204113085310620_n.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Perigord-Marc-Lindsay-ebook/dp/B00ZA3RS8Y/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
https://www.facebook.com/marclindsayauthor/?fref=ts

I'm co-writing an adventure book atm with him based on the early years of one of the characters.

cool, I'll check it out:thumbsu:

My brother has written 3 out of 4 in an Urban Fantasy series that has gotten great reviews. He's self published the first one.

http://www.amazon.com/Perigord-Marc-Lindsay-ebook/dp/B00ZA3RS8Y/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

I'm co-writing an adventure book atm with him based on the early years of one of the characters.
I am a complete * sometimes, is there an option for your brothers book in a paper back? I very very rarely purchase a non physical copy of a book

I am a complete ****** sometimes, is there an option for your brothers book in a paper back? I very very rarely purchase a non physical copy of a book
Hey mate,

I also only read physical books. It's available on Amazon for $11.95 plus shipping I'm assuming.

I have about a hundred paperbacks at $15 each but to post would have to add $5 so $20 total. I understand that's steep for a self published book and understand if too much.

Thanks for your enquiry.

I have read Perigord. Although I am not really into Fantasy (apart from people falling through stones etc lol ) I enjoyed it. Soooo, young jlind78 , if you are not finished your book yet, why are you on here, and not working on your book ?? :)

I have read Perigord. Although I am not really into Fantasy (apart from people falling through stones etc lol ) I enjoyed it. Soooo, young jlind78 , if you are not finished your book yet, why are you on here, and not working on your book ?? :)
haha got me, started writing the finale this morning. Very close to finishing the first draft now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey mate,

I also only read physical books. It's available on Amazon for $11.95 plus shipping I'm assuming.

I have about a hundred paperbacks at $15 each but to post would have to add $5 so $20 total. I understand that's steep for a self published book and understand if too much.

Thanks for your enquiry.
I'm sure I could fork out $20 for a physical copy. Pm me and we can sort something out

Anyone read The Shannarra ? TV series on ATM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just started reading Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson which is the first book of the Malazan series. The series overall is supposed to be brilliant but it's an enjoyable but tough read so far.

It is. Having said that, if you don't like book 2 it's probably not worth persevering with.

Yeah I ordered the first 3 books of this series and got through Gardens ok but sort of ground to a halt halfway through DeadHouse Gates. Haven't picked it up again yet and it's been about a year now. I'll get back to it I'm sure as I love a long journey/series but was disappointed after taking some time to initially get going in book 1 that book 2 sort of ground me down again.

IMO Malazan is the best fantasy series written, and by some distance. It is a dense read, and Erikson avoids the "infodump" writing mechanic (ie it requires you to think), but the depth and scale of this epic tale is mindblowing. Its not the type of series you can skim read, it requires effort and concentration, but it is so immersive and for me utterly addictive.

The genius of this series IMO is that it gets better with subsequent re-reads. There is so much in these books it is impossible to pick everything up first time through, and for me the series got better and better in the first and second re-reads. I haven't picked up a Malazan book for a couple of years and am hoping to read through the main series again this year. Each time through my favourite book in the series has changed. Only books I've actually cried reading... multiple times too :(.

Good resources for anyone either beginning the series, or embarking on a re-read, are Malazan Empire forum and the detailed Tor (re)read through:

http://forum.malazanempire.com/
http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen/

ME is a great forum whether you are a newbie with questions (you will have zillions), or a long time re-reader learning stuff via posts by uber fans. Great to visit after you complete each book and trawl through the threads looking for answers to your questions. Mods there are really good at making sure each book specific sub-forum doesn't contain spoilers for forthcoming books in the series. There is a wealth of info, but also plenty of RAFOs instead of spoilers.

The Tor readthrough is written by two people, one reading through it the first time, and another reading it for the umpteenth time. Really good resource and nice to refer to as you are progressing through the series, chapter by chapter.

Next Malazan book has just been released... Dancer's Lament which is the first book in the Path to Ascendancy trilogy. Its a new Cam Esslemont Malazan series about the events leading up the the ascendancy of Kellanved, Dancer and Cotillion and presumably the forging of the Malazan Empire. ICE's books are a shadow of Erikson's (don't talk to me about Assail), but anything Malazan I will add to my collection.

Erikson's next book, Fall of Light, is due in April I think... really, really looking forward to this. Forge of Darkness was brilliant and sets up the next two books in the Kharkanas trilogy perfectly.

Malazan is not for everyone due to its massively epic scale and hundreds of characters, so if you plan on reading it 20 mins a night before bed it may not be the series for you. Also, if not understanding everything you read immediately causes you to rage-quit a book then this series may not be for you. Not a lot of backstory or explanations are offered in the beginning of the books, you have to work it out as you go. There will be a myriad of references that are included in the first and second books that could (WILL) confuse the hell out of you. Don't worry. You are not alone. Persevere. Being confused initially and slowly unraveling the complexity of this massive world is part of the fun... magic systems, millions of years of history, cast of thousands, dozens of cultures and many different races. ME forum helps here too... a visit after each book is completed is just about compulsory. Will help your understanding more before embarking on the next book.

If you consider yourself an epic fantasy fan this series is a must... go on... do it! And when you are finished... do it again!

Last edited:
Many people consider them (especially the first series) merely a blatant, inferior rip-off of LOTR.

The first book, Sword of Shannara, was almost a scene for scene ripoff of LOTR... can't believe he got away with this level of blatant plagiarism. This is why the TV series started with the second Shannara book (Elfstones of Shannara). If there is a second season it will feature the third book (Wishsong of Shannara).

IMO Malazan is the best fantasy series written, and by some distance. It is a dense read, and Erikson avoids the "infodump" writing mechanic (ie it requires you to think), but the depth and scale of this epic tale is mindblowing. Its not the type of series you can skim read, it requires effort and concentration, but it is so immersive and for me utterly addictive.

The genius of this series IMO is that it gets better with subsequent re-reads. There is so much in these books it is impossible to pick everything up first time through, and for me the series got better and better in the first and second re-reads. I haven't picked up a Malazan book for a couple of years and am hoping to read through the main series again this year. Each time through my favourite book in the series has changed. Only books I've actually cried reading... multiple times too :(.

Good resources for anyone either beginning the series, or embarking on a re-read, are Malazan Empire forum and the detailed Tor (re)read through:

http://forum.malazanempire.com/
http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen/

ME is a great forum whether you are a newbie with questions (you will have zillions), or a long time re-reader learning stuff via posts by uber fans. Great to visit after you complete each book and trawl through the threads looking for answers to your questions. Mods there are really good at making sure each book specific sub-forum doesn't contain spoilers for forthcoming books in the series. There is a wealth of info, but also plenty of RAFOs instead of spoilers.

The Tor readthrough is written by two people, one reading through it the first time, and another reading it for the umpteenth time. Really good resource and nice to refer to as you are progressing through the series, chapter by chapter.

Next Malazan book has just been released... Dancer's Lament which is the first book in the Path to Ascendancy trilogy. Its a new Cam Esslemont Malazan series about the events leading up the the ascendancy of Kellanved, Dancer and Cotillion and presumably the forging of the Malazan Empire. ICE's books are a shadow of Erikson's (don't talk to me about Assail), but anything Malazan I will add to my collection.

Erikson's next book, Fall of Light, is due in April I think... really, really looking forward to this. Forge of Darkness was brilliant and sets up the next two books in the Kharkanas trilogy perfectly.

Malazan is not for everyone due to its massively epic scale and hundreds of characters, so if you plan on reading it 20 mins a night before bed it may not be the series for you. Also, if not understanding everything you read immediately causes you to rage-quit a book then this series may not be for you. Not a lot of backstory or explanations are offered in the beginning of the books, you have to work it out as you go. There will be a myriad of references that are included in the first and second books that could (WILL) confuse the hell out of you. Don't worry. You are not alone. Persevere. Being confused initially and slowly unraveling the complexity of this massive world is part of the fun... magic systems, millions of years of history, cast of thousands, dozens of cultures and many different races. ME forum helps here too... a visit after each book is completed is just about compulsory. Will help your understanding more before embarking on the next book.

If you consider yourself an epic fantasy fan this series is a must... go on... do it! And when you are finished... do it again!

I might have said this before as the Malazan books pop up every now and again in this thread but there's also some fantastic humour in them, particularly in the later books. A few characters like Bugg and Tehol are played for laughs and had me literally lol'ing but plenty of others get a witty reply or some other joke.

I dropped out after Reaper's Gale as they're not the easiest books to pick up a year or two later without rereading and I've really stopped enjoying the massive door stopper series but still the malazan books are without question the unfinished series I'd most like to go back and read from start to finish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back