Remove this Banner Ad

Frodo

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 17, 2000
Perth, Western Australia.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Quite a few years ago I attended the school of management in Dunchurch. Part of one course was a role playing task where attendees were given functions in a business and the trick was to make the business succeed. This has given me the idea of running a Fantasy business game on bigfooty. Apart from being fun it would give members the opportunity of being involved in running a company and seeing how a company can be run, to success or failure and how it interacts with employees, support team,institutions, government etc.
I have a favourite theme that should work well. Australia imports a huge amount of tinned tomatoes. We can easily grow tomatoes and have canning expertise so the proposed business would be a producer of ‘canned tomatoes’. We would need two partners to form the business, one a marketing and business management person and the other a former employee of a fruit canning business that knows the methodology of canning fruit and can therefore set up production.
Once we have two volunteers to start the fantasy business it will be up to them to recruit a support team to manufacture etc along with a banker and other outside support resources that make the business viable. Each recruit will need to be posted on the board and I will PM them with details of their background so that they can form decisions based upon it. An example is the choice of a bank as a loan will be required. Two bankers may be recruited and I will advise the financial position and policies of the banks by PM to the recruits. It is then up to the partners to negotiate with each bank by PM and announce on the board the chosen banker and the terms of the loan. I will also recruit players that intrude on the running of the business, for example an ATO official and post regular profit and loss statements and balance sheets.

Clearly this will be quite a detailed exercise and I’m sure that the first game will end quite quickly as the complexities come into force, but what I need now is a show of interest to get the game going and two people to volunteer to be partners. I can then start things off.

Alright Frodo sounds like fun so count me in.
I cant devote a lot of time to it but almost my entire working life has been spent in the government sector. I can play any sort of interfering pedantic government official that you want.

Originally posted by 1AD
I wanna be the shop steward at the canning factory:D

I think you will find that Unions aren't allowed in this business, they won't be able to exploit the workers otherwise. :D

Originally posted by mantis

I think you will find that Unions aren't allowed in this business, they won't be able to exploit the workers otherwise. :D

OK Frodo, the picket line is go!!!! :mad:

Originally posted by Frodo
Okay Hitman you are a partner. You now need to recruit the other partner and tell me who is the marketing man and who has the canning expertise. Then we can get the rpg going.

Okay.

Giddy up Iceman, you are my partner. ;) 1Ad can be my marketing man, and Mantis can have the canning expertise.

Clock in at 8.30, clock out at 5. I'll be in my office smokin' cigars... ;) :D

The Hitman

Originally posted by The Hitman

Okay.

Giddy up Iceman, you are my partner. ;) 1Ad can be my marketing man, and Mantis can have the canning expertise.

The Hitman

Does this mean I am one of the exploiters now??:D :D (And the appropriate increase in $$$$$'s)

Originally posted by The Hitman

Okay.

The Hitman

Union rules are I get half an hour for lunch, 15 mins morning & afternoon tea & a ciggie break every hour. :D

Originally posted by mantis

Well the business will be run by Hitman and Iceman not me. If and when they recruit workers/team members it will be up to them if they want to join a union or not and to the partners to react suitably. If we can take it that Iceman agrees to be a partner we can start the ball rolling. I wil need to know who is marketing and who is production so I can PM personal details. Recruiting can start after the requirement is posted.

ps I can be hired as a marketing consultant for $120/hr (Frodo Marketing) or a Business consultant for $200/hr (Frodo advisory). Just PM the question to me and I will quote the Compan a price for an answer.

This is the real thing :D

Week one day one in new financial year

Background information. All Australian tinned tomatoes are imported from Italy. Australia consumes 10 million tins per annum at an average store-selling price of $1.40 each. Each can is 400g in weight with 240g of tomatoes in each can (drained weight)
Three Tomato growers are interested in supplying product to you. They each currently produce 70,000kg of tomatoes per year and would be keen to expand production. They are all asking for 50c a Kilo ex farm. The farms are close together around 60km from the city you now live in(Melbourne).You will need to recruit the growers and post their names to the board.
You will need to decide where to locate your plant. A building suitable for a production line of 50,000 cans per month with offices can be leased for $4000 per month or bought in the city for $400,000. For 100,000 cans per month the price doubles. Leasing or buying in the country costs exactly half that of the city.
A new canning plant for 50,000 cans per month costs $500,000 and will last 5 years but there is a second hand plant available for $200,000 that needs a little TLC. I will play the part of Joe Schmuck the second hand plant vendor. You will need to PM me to discuss the second hand plant and make a decision the on new or old.
There are many other costs you will need to think about and ask me for costings. Once done you will need to create a business plan and submit it to two bankers you must recruit and post to the board. Once posted I will advise each by PM of their bank policies and status. I will already have PM’d the individual financial position of each partner to them. It is up to them how much they tell their partner about their financial position.

Next step

Recruit 3 Growers
Recruit 2 Bankers

post them to this thread

note: anyone not selected(eg one of the bankers) may be recruited later for other positions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne market for tomatoes

Two major supermarket chains purchase 1.5million tins per annum each, Another half a million tins are purchased by various Deli’s and private shops around the state.

Er, does 1AD wanna be the Partner instead of me? I didn't do maths or business management this year, and I don't have the time (not really, I'm just a lazy bastard) to PM people and organize stuff.

The Hitman

retired already eh Hitman?? ;)

in case someone else becomes a partner, dont get too stressed if i dont PM straight back - ill usually get online every evening and maybe during the day while at work :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back