rubydoomsday

Debutant
Mar 6, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
LFC
Here goes. Long time lurker, first time poster...

1. I've got the #1 pick in my 18 (1) person Draft League.
2. Format is snake, structure is 2-3-1-2 with an 8 deep bench.
3. This means that, though I get the #1 pick, I get nothing again until picks 37+38 I think (maths not my strong suit).
4. Each time I pick, I'll get a double pick (2 adjacent picks), as I'm at one 'end' of the format (as will our 18th picker).
5. This is a much longer wait between picks than someone say, 9th in the order, who picks every 18 available players.
6. We 'grandfather'/run a small dynasty with veto voting, i.e. we each choose 1 player from each row we want to keep; the league votes who they want to reject back into the pool. Coaches may choose to hold an existing player from the previous year's list in the same possy if their nomination gets vetoed.
7. I'll probably get to hold: Andy Brayshaw (FWD), Bont (MID) and Tom Stewart (DEF) - already a decent spine!
8. League vetoes Grundy (my nominated RUC dynasty pick) from my team, meaning I'll have to use pick #1 to get him again. Can't see him being any less than the same durable beast this season as he was last year.

My question is - how best to use this strategy?

Pick 1, Grundy available, not keeping a ruck. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Unless that weird veto thing stopping you from keeping Grundy that allows you to keep another ruck means you have someone else awesome.

Pick 1, Grundy available, not keeping a ruck. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Unless that weird veto thing stopping you from keeping Grundy that allows you to keep another ruck means you have someone else awesome.
Nah, I'll def pick up Grundy, didn't have a good backup RUC by season's end.

Was more looking for ideas on how to handle the double picks with a huge run in between each round...

Of course it's great to have the number 1 pick, but waiting 35 picks and seeing all your picks get snapped up is a pain. And not always offset by getting to pick twice in a row.

Some useful resources:

Snake draft is tricky especially with such a huge league!!

If captains are on I would try use #35 on another big gun midfielder, if possible. So that if Grundy goes down you have a reliable C option still.

The value in the forwards is slim after the first two (Whit, Dusty) so I would probably get 2 mids or 1 mid, 1 defender with 35/36.

Cheers for responding to a n00b!

We don't play captains in this league, and the pool is pretty rich in MIDs. My strategy was always going to be to pick up at least one of the best available MIDs and either a DEF or another key MID at picks 35 and 36. With Brayshaw a DPP (and hopefully racking up MID numbers played as a FWD...) I'll always have an emergency MID I can rotate through in case of injuries.

Starting out with Bont MID and Stewart DEF will be a huge plus. I just get super anxious waiting through all the extra picks - this is my second year with the number 1 pick/spot in the order and I don't think I made the most of it last year.

Some useful resources:

Nice samFFC

I usually simply draft whatever the greatest difference is between the last Avg player in that position vs what's available

ie: I've ranked all positions (5-7-1-5)

DEF: 50th - 72 Avg
MID: 70th - 84 Avg
Ruck: 10th - 82 Avg
Fwd: 50th - 70 Avg

Then say if I was to have M.Crouch (106 predicted Avg) and Walters (90 predicted Avg) then the difference would be

M.Walters 90-70 = 20
M.Crouch 106-84 = 22

I'd therefore draft M.Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back