Multiplat Far Cry Primal

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm fully hooked. I don't think many will feel ripped off or underwhelmed when they play it for the price they end up paying for it, whether that's $70 or whatever now or $40 in a sale down the track. It's not a bad game in any way, just depends on what you think is a fair price for a game.

IMO if this was Far Cry 4 (as in 3.5 never happened) it would have been a hit. The environment is awesome, it just looks wild. Pets are a nice touch and you can equip different ones depending on the situation. Like hitting an outpost I'll typically go my rare black jaguar to quietly take out unsuspecting dudes, at night I'll go my white wolf so I'm not bothered as much by everything that wants to eat me. There are heaps of little nice touches that as a whole add up. One of them I wish there were more of are the exploration caves, I usually get lost on the way out. In the last couple far cry games I just used the same weapon once I found one I liked but I like how in Primal, while weapon choices are limited, you find yourself needing to switch between them. Spear is the best, one hit kill against humans and huge damage against animals when thrown. But you can't carry many and unless you can run over and pick up the ones you have thrown (which isn't always possible in a battle) then you will burn through hardwood, stone and animal fat to make more. Bow is a fall back weapon but doesn't do a lot of damage unless it's a headshot. Then there is the trusty old club. I haven't unlocked the throwing shard yet but that will be another option. Also haven't done much in the way of bombs yet except for the bee one so can't talk about them yet.

So far I have sunk about 8 hours in and have mainly been just exploring question marks and crafting. Really enjoying it and to be honest I'm normally pretty quick to write off these rehashed franchise series games.

I'm fully hooked. I don't think many will feel ripped off or underwhelmed when they play it for the price they end up paying for it, whether that's $70 or whatever now or $40 in a sale down the track. It's not a bad game in any way, just depends on what you think is a fair price for a game.

IMO if this was Far Cry 4 (as in 3.5 never happened) it would have been a hit. The environment is awesome, it just looks wild. Pets are a nice touch and you can equip different ones depending on the situation. Like hitting an outpost I'll typically go my rare black jaguar to quietly take out unsuspecting dudes, at night I'll go my white wolf so I'm not bothered as much by everything that wants to eat me. There are heaps of little nice touches that as a whole add up. One of them I wish there were more of are the exploration caves, I usually get lost on the way out. In the last couple far cry games I just used the same weapon once I found one I liked but I like how in Primal, while weapon choices are limited, you find yourself needing to switch between them. Spear is the best, one hit kill against humans and huge damage against animals when thrown. But you can't carry many and unless you can run over and pick up the ones you have thrown (which isn't always possible in a battle) then you will burn through hardwood, stone and animal fat to make more. Bow is a fall back weapon but doesn't do a lot of damage unless it's a headshot. Then there is the trusty old club. I haven't unlocked the throwing shard yet but that will be another option. Also haven't done much in the way of bombs yet except for the bee one so can't talk about them yet.

So far I have sunk about 8 hours in and have mainly been just exploring question marks and crafting. Really enjoying it and to be honest I'm normally pretty quick to write off these rehashed franchise series games.
Well if you're on the ball then I'm happy with my $68 purchase.

This made me want it.

Bloody hell that's a positive review.

Any thing more to add since making this initial post?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

havnt bothered yet? hows it go? or is it just fun coz there little campaigners

It scares everything off so you don't get bothered by anything. Most of the time anyway. Also was pretty handy when going for weapon trophies since it doesn't go on killing sprees like other pets. Still pretty funny when it goes to rip the throat out of an enemy though.

So whats the verdict? I've usually gotten every far cry on release day, but wanted to know what this was like before i buy it? Is it good?

it depends on what your after, picked this up cheap through my sisters staff discount at target, its a solid game, overall i wouldn't pay $99 for it, but its a solid game.

exploration, hunting, the day night cycle and continuous foraging make for a great game, in fact many of the things added to the far cry series over time "feel" better in this environment then they did in other games. even if they don't make practical sense (although sense and farcry have never been a thing)

But if you buy farcry because its a FPS and not because of the exploration the fire physics and the idea of setting up ambushes then its hard to say.
for example you can take out a mammoth with 2 level spears and 3 arrows. unless your an idiot and are trying to headshot a 3.2M fluffy elephant. with a head the size of my shed. no when that happens you just die, the attention to detail is great, each animal has its own hit box. boars for example i've learned should be hit in the neck not the face and that mooses are near immortal killing machines that can survive 20 arrows.

but at its heart its still a far cry game, which means its nowhere near perfect, the usual dumb as * AI who thinks dividing NPC's into rushers and snipers is an "intelligent" design build, you'll see the odd random bug and weapon switching and content is locked off by story progression for no good reason forcing you to back track over familiar ground using the games latest gimmick (in this case a grappling hook) the near immortal mooses for example will hit you with a hind kick despite you being well outside the range they should be able to hit you simply because the range of the attack wasn't programmed for the same length of as the animations maximum extension. and of course the games plot follows the exact same structure the every farcry game has had since farcry 2.

overall its a solid and enjoyable game. 7.5 filled with randomly epic moments like when you accidentally 3 shot people with one spear only for a bear to come out of the woods and send you running like bitch. ( i really hate bears)

With the badger nothing bothers me :D I do like the constant need for supplies. In previous games once you crafted something then you don't really need those things ever again. Of course some of the more particular materials like clay, north/south stone and cedar and specific skins aren't used outside of their actual upgrades but the continual need for animal hide, meat, flint and hardwood has you always foraging. So often I'm full on everything but it only takes an intense battle or two to be depleted of enough materials to refill my arrows, spears and bombs. Some of the later skill points certainly make it easier but it's not a farm once and forget. Takkar is a far better protagonist I think too. Sure they don't talk much but at least he isn't a little bitch. One missed opportunity I think is the home village. I'm up to a population of over 150 but my village doesn't look it. There are a few more people wandering around and I see way more Wenja in the wild now but the home village is in a nice spot where it could have grown a bit. I understand it is pre-civilisation but there is a bit of mysticism about the game and maybe there could have been some NPCs that provide unique buffs like maybe weapon enchanting or a shaman (besides the voodoo beast guy) to do something. I don't know specifically but seems like that is one aspect they missed.

I would probably even go as far as high as an 8/10. 10 is reserved for perfect and 9 a game of the year. 7 might suggest there is something wrong with it. Graphics and the environment are awesome. I'm sure there are some minor bugs and glitches but I haven't personally run into anyway, the game has performed near faultless. Each NPC having their own little unique story line that ties back into the main one instead of just one main story line to follow. There is also plenty of content to boot.

There is enough different in this that it should have been Far Cry 4 instead of the rehash we did get as 4.