Far fetched predictions.....call it here

Remove this Banner Ad

Holm won't sit down on her punches because she'll be terrified of getting taken down though. She didn't sit down on her punches against far less dangerous opposition in Pennington and Reneau. I find it highly, highly unlikely that she will against Rousey. And even if she does, she just doesn't have much power in her hands. It would have to be her putting everything she has into a punch and for Rousey to take the cleanest punch imaginable. If she does that, she makes it easier for Rousey to take her down and then it's basically over.

Now that I think about it, if anyone wins by (T)KO by way of punches, it's far more likely to be Rousey. Rousey gets to the inside, Holm gets desperate to get back to a comfortable distance and gets caught flush.

Holm is very unlikely to win this. The most likely way she wins, by far, is by boring decision in which she fought a perfect fight imo. A small mistake and it's over.

I dont think Holm has to throw with everything, if she hits accurately as Ronda runs in (which she absolutely does, she has learned to keep her chin down now at least) it could happen. If Holm can keep it standing for a round or two and run Rousey around (which given how big and quick on her feet she is could be a chance) she might make Ronda desperate. Flush on the chin, timed well counter to Rousey charging at her will KO pretty much anyone.

I dont think Holm has to throw with everything, if she hits accurately as Ronda runs in (which she absolutely does, she has learned to keep her chin down now at least) it could happen. If Holm can keep it standing for a round or two and run Rousey around (which given how big and quick on her feet she is could be a chance) she might make Ronda desperate. Flush on the chin, timed well counter to Rousey charging at her will KO pretty much anyone.

Have you been drinking Sir? :p

Has Holm hurt anyone with her hands in her MMA career? I just don't see it happening. Running into her pitter patter won't do anything to Rousey. McMann and Tate have hit Rousey rushing in way harder than Holm will and she walked straight through it.

If Holm hurts Rousey with her hands, or comes close, then you can all mock me relentlessly.

I'm predicting team Rousey will win in the second. Holm will be taking a heavy beating but she'll manage to get to her corner and tag Glover Texiera into the octogon.
Glover will spend a good minute looking like a drunken wife beater. Then just when it seems Rousy is going to succumb to his politically incorrect slap
fest she'll catch one of those arms then in matrix bullet time tag Machida into the fight, watch him land a full shin on Glovers face then land on him, armbar, kaching! Second round win by simultaneous KO-Submission. Holm won't shake hands because Glover didn't tap and was partially awake when he hit the canvas. Mario Yamasaki points out that Rousy was slapping the floppy remainder of Texiera's arm like a madwoman and dismisses Holm's complaint. He also points out he only gained consciousness as his body went into shock at the site of his limb post Rowdy-isation.
On a semi serious note though it'll take close to a miracle for Holm to win. The only chance anyone has of beating Rousy is to train under GSP for a few years and master the art of winning by aggravated dry hump, decided on points. The fact he won so many fights by aggressively and repeatedly rubbing himself off on his opponent for 25mins is a stain on the sport of MMA.

I'm predicting team Rousey will win in the second. Holm will be taking a heavy beating but she'll manage to get to her corner and tag Glover Texiera into the octogon.
Glover will spend a good minute looking like a drunken wife beater. Then just when it seems Rousy is going to succumb to his politically incorrect slap
fest she'll catch one of those arms then in matrix bullet time tag Machida into the fight, watch him land a full shin on Glovers face then land on him, armbar, kaching! Second round win by simultaneous KO-Submission. Holm won't shake hands because Glover didn't tap and was partially awake when he hit the canvas. Mario Yamasaki points out that Rousy was slapping the floppy remainder of Texiera's arm like a madwoman and dismisses Holm's complaint. He also points out he only gained consciousness as his body went into shock at the site of his limb post Rowdy-isation.
On a semi serious note though it'll take close to a miracle for Holm to win. The only chance anyone has of beating Rousy is to train under GSP for a few years and master the art of winning by aggravated dry hump, decided on points. The fact he won so many fights by aggressively and repeatedly rubbing himself off on his opponent for 25mins is a stain on the sport of MMA.

This thread is for far fetched predictions mate...c'mon :p

This. Not only does Ronda block with her face, she actively runs forward in to strikes to initiate the clinch. If Holm sits down on her punches when she sees Rousey on the way in, she could end it. I could also see her using superior footwork and front kicks to keep Ronda off her.

Having said that I think Rousey wins it and does it reasonably early, but to completely discredit Holm's chances is a bit disrespectful.

Has Holm hurt anyone with her hands in her MMA career? I just don't see it happening. Running into her pitter patter won't do anything to Rousey. McMann and Tate have hit Rousey rushing in way harder than Holm will and she walked straight through it.

If Holm hurts Rousey with her hands, or comes close, then you can all mock me relentlessly.

34gUbZD.gif

:p

Let me have it. :p

I loved seeing Rousey get knocked out, but I was completely wrong. :oops:

Pennington and Reneau closed the distance against Holm way better than Rousey did. Rousey's got way more money than anyone else and she can't get some high level coaches to get her closing the distance better than that?

What is Edmond teaching Rousey? * all by the looks of it. I can't remember where I heard it, but someone mentioned before the card that if Rafael Cordeiro was working with Rousey, she'd be a much better striker. No doubt about it. He'd be such a great fit for her style.

Let me have it. :p

I loved seeing Rousey get knocked out, but I was completely wrong. :oops:

Pennington and Reneau closed the distance against Holm way better than Rousey did. Rousey's got way more money than anyone else and she can't get some high level coaches to get her closing the distance better than that?

What is Edmond teaching Rousey? **** all by the looks of it. I can't remember where I heard it, but someone mentioned before the card that if Rafael Cordeiro was working with Rousey, she'd be a much better striker. No doubt about it. He'd be such a great fit for her style.

:O Those stats are pretty damning! I rate both girls as better strikers than Rousey, but certainly didn't expect the difference to be so much.

Edmund's advise to Ronda between rounds one and two was pretty poor as well, told her how well she'd done (not sure what fight he was watching) and pretty much just told her to keep her hands high. Cordeiro is a guru and would no doubt do wonders for her, but he works with Cyborg, doesn't he? One camp that I think would really help her (if she was looking to change) would be Frankie Edgar's camp. He always comes with great game plans and gets great advise from Henry and Almeida in his corner.

As much as I didn't expect that to happen at all, I always thought Holm would be a test for Rousey based on her style. I said to my friend I was watching it after that first left hand that Rousey looked completely rattled and knew she was in trouble. She did have a few decent moments with nearly landing the arm bar and she caught Holm with a cracking right hand that looked like it wobbled her (just before Holly's takedown... how good was that by the way?!), but that was every bit as one sided a fight as I've seen. Reminded me a lot of Jedrzejczek/Esparza actually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cordeiro is a guru and would no doubt do wonders for her, but he works with Cyborg, doesn't he?
Yeah he does. Realised that afterwards. No doubt eliminates that option. Werdum, Dariush and RDA pressure their opponents so well. It would be a perfect fit for Rousey.

There would be a lot of striking coaches that Rousey could turn to though. The only fighter that Edmond has appeared to have done good work with is Rousey. I think today showed that any decent striking coach would have got as much out of her as he did.

she caught Holm with a cracking right hand that looked like it wobbled her
Just posted about this in the 193 thread. Was a left hand and it did hurt Holm pretty badly.

Yeah he does. Realised that afterwards. No doubt eliminates that option. Werdum, Dariush and RDA pressure their opponents so well. It would be a perfect fit for Rousey.

There would be a lot of striking coaches that Rousey could turn to though. The only fighter that Edmond has appeared to have done good work with is Rousey. I think today showed that any decent striking coach would have got as much out of her as he did.

Very true. Those guys have gone from average strikers to being more than a handful for everyone at their weight classes on the feet. :thumbsu:

I hadn't thought about that, but you're right about Ronda being the only fighter Edmond has trained that appears to have improved. He took in the other three "horsewomen", all of who have sufferred KO losses under him and Travis Browne trained with him ahead of the Werdum fight I'm pretty sure and looked very average. A lot of that likely has to do with Werdum I'd say, but still not a great look. Has he trained anyone else of note?

Just posted about this in the 193 thread. Was a left hand and it did hurt Holm pretty badly.

Definitely remember her being rocked, just couldn't remember which hand did the damage!

Has he trained anyone else of note?
I think Ellenberger went there a couple of fights ago. Now that I think about, it's probably harsh on Edmond to mention all these other fighters because there are good reasons why they're not doing that well.

Baszler had nothing left when she went there. Duke is inexperienced and just not very good, at this stage anyway. Shafir's the same as Duke. Ellenberger seems like he would be doing exactly the same as he is with or without Edmond. Browne's probably no better or worse than he was when he got there.

The way Rousey fought today is a big problem though. Either he hasn't taught her to close the distance well or he has and she decided to do her own thing. Edmond saying she was doing well after round 1 makes the former seem far more likely.

I think Ellenberger went there a couple of fights ago. Now that I think about, it's probably harsh on Edmond to mention all these other fighters because there are good reasons why they're not doing that well.

Baszler had nothing left when she went there. Duke is inexperienced and just not very good, at this stage anyway. Shafir's the same as Duke. Ellenberger seems like he would be doing exactly the same as he is with or without Edmond. Browne's probably no better or worse than he was when he got there.

The way Rousey fought today is a big problem though. Either he hasn't taught her to close the distance well or he has and she decided to do her own thing. Edmond saying she was doing well after round 1 makes the former seem far more likely.

I'd forgotten about Ellenberger. :thumbsu:

I don't think it's overly harsh on Edmond to be honest. He's predominantly a striking coach, so maybe Duke and Browne get a pass but the rest of the people he has trained are grapplers who have looked to him to improve their stand up. The sample size is small for some (I believe Browne and Ellenberger only have one fight under him), but the improvements haven't exactly been obvious. For a guy who's gym/coaching has received the level of praise his has, I think it's more than OK.

I'm going to make an obvious prediction: there is no way Holm wins this. Her boxing record shows she doesn't have much power so she doesn't really have a puncher's chance. Obviously on the ground she's no hope so the only chance she has would be staying away for 5 rounds and pitter patter punching. Do you really think she could stop Rousey closing the distance and getting a clinch for 25 mins?

Lol

Im new here and to MMA in a more regular capacity, but your posts indicate should be following your sage knowledge. This weeks tattslotto numbers would be handy too. :)

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/14133416/holly-holm-kos-ronda-rousey-second-round-ufc-193

Edmond said this. What purpose does saying this have? Lying like this doesn't help at all. He must believe it. She has to go train somewhere else if she wants to improve. Plus, Edmond's got that dodgy bankruptcy stuff going on. Dude could be going to jail.

Fight metric has her at worse than a 2-1 disadvantage and it seemed worse watching it live. I think the below is a fair representation of what Edmond will see when he rewatches the fight:

ExhaustedWindingDassie.gif

Im new here and to MMA in a more regular capacity, but your posts indicate should be following your sage knowledge. This weeks tattslotto numbers would be handy too. :)
Haha, cheers!! I did have a very good day on the punt and whilst it is easy to say in hindsight this was always a good chance to happen. Like everyone here is saying Ronda needs to improve her hands and needs a better camp to do that. Holly had the best coaches and camp in all of combat sports and it showed.

You never want to be the best fighter in your gym.

You never want to be the best fighter in your gym.
I don't think being the best fighter in your gym is that big a deal. Who trains with Demetrious Johnson that's anywhere near as good as him? Same for McGregor? Weidman? Werdum? I think Dillashaw will do perfectly fine after leaving TAM too.

Good coaching and bringing in people that will test you in a manner that your upcoming opponent will is as good as anything. Fighting a good wrestler? Bring in a good wrestler that has a style similar to your opponent to train with. Same goes for a good kickboxer, boxer, BJJ player, etc.

Obviously not all (probably more like very few) fighters can financially afford to do that. Rousey certainly can afford it.

I don't think being the best fighter in your gym is that big a deal. Who trains with Demetrious Johnson that's anywhere near as good as him? Same for McGregor? Weidman? Werdum? I think Dillashaw will do perfectly fine after leaving TAM too.

Good coaching and bringing in people that will test you in a manner that your upcoming opponent will is as good as anything. Fighting a good wrestler? Bring in a good wrestler that has a style similar to your opponent to train with. Same goes for a good kickboxer, boxer, BJJ player, etc.

Obviously not all (probably more like very few) fighters can financially afford to do that. Rousey certainly can afford it.

Yeh good point, it does seem like Ronda has no one "good" around her though, maybe you can be the best but you still need good people around and it seems like Glendale is just her and occasionally ththe Diaz boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back