Remove this Banner Ad

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
I ended up not publishing it, but there was a note on how in some plays I instinctively expect players to soccer the ball, but they lean towards it to try grabbing with their hands. I believe we could soccer more!
Handy in the wet when its sloppy and moving the ball forward quickly with contested scraps all over the ground but when its dry and theres loose players behind the ball it only results in turnovers. Much easier to control with ball in hand..

I ended up not publishing it, but there was a note on how in some plays I instinctively expect players to soccer the ball, but they lean towards it to try grabbing with their hands. I believe we could soccer more!
Not just soccering the ball, but little toe pokes are better than trying to grab the ball and get tackled immediately. This is the most famous toe poke of the last 20 years by Matthew Scarlett in the centre of the ground in the 2009 grand final. [For your info GP, When Channel 10 had the rights between 2002-2011 they would count the clock down, but last 5 minutes of the game they got rid of the count down clock and just had normal clock for the quarter, so its 67 all and less than 5 minutes of game time. A toe poke helped win Geelong a grand final.

Paul Chapman goal 23m 25s 11.7.73 - 9.13.67
Max Rooke behind 26m 20s 11.8.74 - 9.13.67
............................................................. St Kilda 11.8.74 - 9.14.68 28m 22s Rushed behind
Max Rooke goal 29m 51s 12.8.80 - 9.14.68
Rooke took the mark the siren went a few seconds later the St Kilda players in despite walked off didnt worry about Rooke, he decided to have a shot, was about 35m out on a 45 degree angle, but as no one was on the mark he ran to about 25m out and kicked a goal after the siren.

The last 10-12 years Geelong and Hawthorn and to lesser extent Sydney players are drilled to knock the ball on with a tap, punch, or soccer to get it to a team mate rather than pick the ball up and get tackled and either get caught holding the ball or the ball is locked in and an opportunity to move the ball forward is lost. They had smart footballers and why they have been dominate sides since 2005 and all have a 70% win loss ratio since 2007 for Geelong and Sydney and Hawthorn.

Those greats from the Geelong era Scarlett, Ablett, Chapman, Mackie, Milburn, Selwood, Stevie Johnson, Enright, Corey etc all knew that at certain times a little soccer or knock on was better than grabbing the ball and then trying to handball it to a team mate.

No better example of that than Boak in the 3rd quarter of the showdown, we had kicked 2 of our 7 goals and had momentum but Robbie Gray hadn't gone crazy yet and didnt have scoreboard advantage. Boak ran to the 50m arc, nobody in front of him but the defender 2m behind him, instead of soccering it forward 20m and trying to get another metre on his opponent he tried to pick it up and get around his opponent and got caught holding the ball. It was a dumb arrogant attempt by boak that killed our momentum.

See from 7.20 the build up and how much space he had a soccer of 15-20m would have helped at gets caught holding the ball at 7.40

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
images (34).jpeg

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Last edited:
2018.06.19 (Schadenfreuding)
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Had the it's a small world thing today Gremiopower.

Was participating in a Crowd Science course (yes as interesting as it sounds) when the facilitator plays a video on crowd movement titled Gremio avalanche.

Was stuck between hey I know Gremio and wtf are they doing.

Enjoying your input. Maybe one day we will get you to a game.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

Was participating in a Crowd Science course (yes as interesting as it sounds) when the facilitator plays a video on crowd movement titled Gremio avalanche.

The Avalanche was awesome, but the stands at the new stadium are steeper, and it became unsafe to do it. It no longer happens.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
John Lennon and the Counting Crows.:D And the world will fly as one :D Love the song!
The first part, I think I should change its lyrics:

"Imagine there's no Melbourne
It's easy if you try
No Port below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all our players
Staying in Adelaide"

P.S.: I've just changed it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2018.06.20 (Avalanche)
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I thought the conversation about the Portuguese screwing Brazilians was on a different thread.
This custom of infiltrating oneself in every open hole got impregnated in the Brazilian mindset. It spreads everywhere!

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Gremio if you ever make it to Adelaide Oval you should start an Avalanche on the Hill!
I won't deny that the thought of it has already crossed my mind.

Gremio if you ever make it to Adelaide Oval you should start an Avalanche on the Hill!
Could you imagine the spazo's in the media and SMA wetting their pants and screaming occupational health and safety regulations left right and centre????

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I won't deny that the thought of it has already crossed my mind.

We’ll all get loaded on James Squire Porters and join you! It might be more of a sluff though. If it takes off we’ll give it a nautical name like “King Tide” or some s**t.

Could you imagine the spazo's in the media and SMA wetting their pants and screaming occupational health and safety regulations left right and centre????

Their simultaneous conniptions would be a better spectacle than the Avalanche!

2018.06.26 (Exorcism)
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
The lights will be out in Brasil this weekend. I doubt that GremioPower will be answering any questions for a while. :(

When you have recovered and feel stronger GremioPower maybe you can describe the atmosphere in Brasil after the country's elimination from the World Cup? I think after the exits of Germany, Argentina and Spain most people had Brasil as favourites. I know I did an their defeat was a real shock. I am not a soccer aficionado but the SBS network in Oz is giving the Belgian Coach a lot of praise for his tactics.

A way to go yet but it could well be an England v France Final. Most of the poms down my way think they have their best chance since 1966. England have to get past Sweden and Croatia and this World Cup has been full of surprises but you never know.

Back