Opinion "Far-West Footy" - GremioPower's blog

Remove this Banner Ad

What is next for the World's greatest small club?

https://farwestfooty.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-small-club-of-suburbs-and-its.html

We are the greatest small club from the suburbs in the world, as you know. There are times that we should focus on the “small;” and others, on the “greatest.” Nowadays, we need to remember our greatness. To be successful, we have made changes to this season. Will they work? I don’t know. I think they are good, but I have been wrong before. The offseason is too long. How do you guys handle the waiting?

I have always admired your passion for the club GP. :thumbsu:

My take on your `world's greatest small club ' comment, which is clearly much better than our current president's patronising, and dare I say it demeaning `little old blue collar club from Alberton ' B S, which in my opinion only gave extra ammunition to our enemies to denigrate us, is.
If someone like you who is virtually brand new to the game and lives thousands of kilometres away from this country gets it, then Why the F*** can't he?
Could it be because he is virtually `brand new' to the game himself? :think:

From my formative years ( as you know I'm an old campaigner :)) until my mid 20's the club was run by two absolute legends of the game, Fos Williams took care of the on field stuff and Big Bob McLean the off field.
Even those who hated Port Adelaide accepted that we never aired our dirty linen in public.
There will be some who will argue that this is ancient history, but the above two gentlemen took the club from the valve radio era until well into the television era and the beginnings of multi media, and at no stage can I recall the president, who from memory may have been John Swain ever making any public comment about the club, the coach or any of the players, how things have changed.

An example of the strength of club management then.

In the mid 1970's 3 players, one with an extremely high profile entered the club rooms very late one night of arguably our biggest rival of the time and removed a bottle of whisky.
It was more high jinks than outright theft for theft's sake but it was still a break and enter.
The arresting officer called Big Bob, who apparently got out of bed and attended the particular police station and everything was sorted out, including reparations for the other club, but little to nothing was ever made public.

One can only wonder how our current hierarchy would handle a situation like that!

Last edited:
I have always admired your passion for the club GP. :thumbsu:

My take on your `world's greatest small club ' comment, which is clearly much better than our current president's patronising, and dare I say it demeaning `little old blue collar club from Alberton ' B S, which in my opinion only gave extra ammunition to our enemies to denigrate us, is.
If someone like you who is virtually brand new to the game and lives thousands of kilometres away from this country gets it, then Why the F** can't he?
Could it be because he is virtually `brand new' to the game himself? :think:

From my formative years ( as you know I'm an old campaigner :)) until my mid 20's the club was run by two absolute legends of the game, Fos Williams took care of the on field stuff and Big Bob McLean the off field.
Even those who hated Port Adelaide accepted that we never aired our dirty linen in public.
There will be some who will argue that this is ancient history, but the above two gentlemen took the club from the valve radio era until well into the television era and the beginnings of multi media, and at no stage can I recall the president, who from memory may have been John Swain ever making any public comment about the club, the coach or any of the players, how things have changed.

An example of the strength of club management then.

In the mid 1970's 3 players, one with an extremely high profile entered the club rooms very late one night of arguably our biggest rival of the time and removed a bottle of whisky.
It was more high jinks than outright theft for theft's sake but it was still a break and enter.
The arresting officer called Big Bob, who apparently got out of bed and attended the particular police station and everything was sorted out, including reparations for the other club, but little to nothing was ever made public.

One can only wonder how our current hierarchy would handle a situation like that!
You see the level of respect that the other club [the Bad Tags?] had for us, as well. Can you imagine what those in charge of West Lakes would do in a similar situation? Thank be to God that they don't have a clubroom!

On the "little club" thing, I am definitely discreetly criticising Koch's approach. The phrase doesn't have any problem in itself. The issue is the timing.

Love the review of Carlton game and preview GP, especially the Port v Fitzroy line. I now understand why you asked about the Gabba ground dimensions. :thumbsu:

Legend>Subscribed to blog.
Nice work once again
gremio.
Thank you. I like writing. It wouldn't mean much without readers...

Someone left a comment there. There's a Brazilian Lions barracker! I just replied him. If is there anyone interested, it might be worth taking a look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New Post

A Classic Blunder!

You nailed being a Port fan - especially under Hinkley, with 2 comments

The night Port has shot itself on the foot, stood up, seemed fine, but ended up rolling over and dying. It was INCONCEIVABLE ["liar!"], but it has happened anyway ["surprise!"]. Barracking for Port is to live on the edge of the "Cliffs of Insanity." What can one do, then, but to laugh before his own sad fate?

Never mind... Next week, I will be doing everything again. I can't help it.
Please, Port, do not let me down...
CARN THE POWER!

I read the blog post to my 9-year-old. He was bored to death until the point when I went full "The Princess Bride." Then, he began laughing hysterically:

— You mixed the Turk with the Spaniard!

At the end, he said:

— What?! You've made mom speak like the Spaniard!? That is "inconceivable!"

:D

"While I was preparing my breakfast, I put the game on SEN, which has become my favorite footy radio station. By the time I started eating and following the comments in BigFooty, we were already losing 3.1:19 to one."

We have to get Gerard Whateley to interview you GremioPower. Would be a good laugh. You can explain to him how footy is soccer with the use of hands, given how you understand space, position and tactics.

Dwayne Russell would do it - he is an ex Port Adelaide player in the 1980's and then went to Geelong and only played 50 games, mainly due to injuries, who really works for 3AW calls a couple of games for them - but because of the deal CrocMedia signed with 3AW a few years ago before Crocmedia bought SEN last year - has a 1 hour show - Dwayne's world between 3pm-4pm Adelaide time on SENSA only. Dwayne calls two games a weekend on Fox Footy and you would have heard his call of Port games.

Now that daylight savings has finished Gerard's show is 9am-12noon Melbourne time is 8pm-11pm Brazil east coast time, 3pm-4pm Adelaide time 2.30am-3.30am

"While I was preparing my breakfast, I put the game on SEN, which has become my favorite footy radio station. By the time I started eating and following the comments in BigFooty, we were already losing 3.1:19 to one."

We have to get Gerard Whateley to interview you GremioPower. Would be a good laugh. You can explain to him how footy is soccer with the use of hands, given how you understand space, position and tactics.

Dwayne Russell would do it - he is an ex Port Adelaide player in the 1980's and then went to Geelong and only played 50 games, mainly due to injuries, who really works for 3AW calls a couple of games for them - but because of the deal CrocMedia signed with 3AW a few years ago before Crocmedia bought SEN last year - has a 1 hour show - Dwayne's world between 3pm-4pm Adelaide time on SENSA only. Dwayne calls two games a weekend on Fox Footy and you would have heard his call of Port games.

Now that daylight savings has finished Gerard's show is 9am-12noon Melbourne time is 8pm-11pm Brazil east coast time, 3pm-4pm Adelaide time 2.30am-3.30am
Thank you for your support. How could I, or someone else, get in touch with them to suggest that? I would prefer that someone else would do the introduction, honestly; but I could do it.

Last edited:
Thank you for your support. How could I, or someone else, get in touch with them to suggest that? I would prefer that someone else would do the introduction, honestly; but I could do it.
Maybe Loukas Founten could pass on a link to your blog to them both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back