List Mgmt. Farewell Ablett - Officially back to the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ablett deal is solid, but I am still really angry about getting rid of Pick 2 for Weller (solid player, but jesus).

Time and hindsight will be the ultimate arbiter, though.

It took years to find out that West Coast got the better of the Judd trade but that's not to say Carlton didn't benefit by getting Judd who went on to win a 2nd Brownlow and whom gave great service to the club. Most trades these days seem to be reasonably fair and equitable for all parties concerned including players who for the first time in VFL/AFL history are instigating far greater movement than previous laws would permit, I guess it's us dyed-in-the-wool supporters who need to adjust the most.

Last edited:

Guys .. Id like to thank the GC for doing a deal , I think its best for both clubs to get it done after recent events. I was certainly not a strong advocate for his return but sometime events happen .. all clubs can do is make the best of it.
It was tough negotiation I'm sure and no one ever thinks they have received enough or have been paid enough... The upgrade next year should be handy if you have academy kids coming thru.

TurboCat wishing you and Cattergirl umm who else pureownage all the best too.
You guys are not in my hate list now it’s all over with.
If you win the GF next year I’ll most likely be cheering you on.
Thanks for your goodwill throughout the saga.

It took years to find out that West Coast got the better of the Judd trade but that's not to say Carlton didn't benefit by getting Judd who went on to win a 2nd Brownlow. Most trades these days seem to be reasonably fair and equitable for all parties concerned including players who for the first time in VFL/AFL history are instigating far greater movement than previous laws would permit, I guess it's us dyed-in-the-wool supporters who need to adjust the most.
I don't think West Coast got the better of that deal.

Judd managed to win Carlton's Best n' Fairest three years in a row within his first three years at Carlton and was All Australian four years in a row within his first four years. He won a second brownlow with them (as you already mentioned), too. Also, coming off being a premiership captain, Judd captained Carlton for a number of years and was just a downright freak - one of the best midfielders I've ever seen.

Kennedy is awesome (Masten is steak knives in that deal), and is obviously still playing today, so I reckon the deal ended up being pretty even-stevens as far as bang for your buck. Remembering, of course, that Carlton had Fevola at the time and Kennedy seemed superfluous to Carlton's full-forward needs. If Fev didn't end up having his personal problems, Carlton would've fared a lot better.

Anyway, in regard to this deal: Ablett is fine. I already said earlier in the year that it was probably going to end with us upgrading one of our picks (in a pick swap), but Clayton managed to one-better my forecast by securing a future second-round pick. I can live with that.

ref: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ack-to-the-cats.1156300/page-30#post-52055575

Quote: "It's possible that Gold Coast might trade Pick 32 + Ablett for Geelong's Pick 21, or maybe Pick 24 + Ablett for Geelong's Pick 21. It could also be a simple swap for whatever Geelong gets as compensation for Menzel or Motlop, but that'd have to be better than Pick 32 for me to see it as an upgrade for what we already have to be worth bothering over. Basically, we need Geelong to offer something that betters our draft position (even if just marginally) for it to be worth our time."

I am not convinced by Weller for Pick 2, though. But this all depends on how Weller progresses. If he turns into a solid B-grade role-player, we stuffed this trade up royally. If he turns into a solid A-grade talent, we've exited the trade more-or-less on equal ground with the Dockers. If he turns into an All-Australian level player, we've come away from this trade as winners.

This was our win today.
Pick 19 this year and a future 2nd was a good win.
Great to get the better of Geelong.
And great to live on the GC.
I think you’re missing the biggest win there Mr Bods the disruptive influence is gone. It is the best part of the whole story IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you’re missing the biggest win there Mr Bods the disruptive influence is gone. It is the best part of the whole story IMO

Yeah that’s a good point
So many people who aren’t into sport reckon he’s this weirdo that’s in a cult and is bad for the team

He’s very uncool. Well he is from Geelong.

I'll concede you got the better of us in the GAJ trade. Hopefully this has generated some goodwill for us in future trades between the 2 clubs and you can pay us back in giving us first dibs in negotiations for Tom Lynch next year.

Outside of the Cats, the Suns were the most talked about team here in Geelong that was only because of Ablett. Geelong media will probably never talk about the Sun's again and that's great.

Outside of the Cats, the Suns were the most talked about team here in Geelong that was only because of Ablett. Geelong media will probably never talk about the Sun's again and that's great.

You live in Geelong?
Curious, why do you not follow the Cats and second to that, why the Suns?
No motive just generally curious as I know a few Suns fans down there that basically followed Gaz (being prior Cats fans I mean).

You live in Geelong?
No motive just generally curious as I know a few Suns fans down there that basically followed Gaz (being prior Cats fans I mean).
Would they follow him back to Geelong I wonder, reminiscent of the LeBron bandwagon that followed him back to Cleveland.

You live in Geelong?
I started following the team in the TAC cup, i was still young so didn't really have a team. Something about finding out our first players, colours/logos ect was exciting. I didn't know of a Suns fan until i joined bigfooty, don't regret it either if that's what you were going to ask.

the supposed best player of all time is worth more than this.

can anyone honestly hand-on-heart say that if the GAJ was at any other club they wouldn't have received more back? think this was our big loss of the period.

having said that, you'd almost pay someone to take the money hungry turd of a human, so I guess it's a wash.

the supposed best player of all time is worth more than this.

can anyone honestly hand-on-heart say that if the GAJ was at any other club they wouldn't have received more back? think this was our big loss of the period.

having said that, you'd almost pay someone to take the money hungry turd of a human, so I guess it's a wash.

Obviously a superstar footballer but he never endeared himself to the GC Public and was looked upon as a Wierdo.
In the end he was a shocking waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back