Farewell, afternoon GF :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Facts are, this GF wasn't some kind of one-off ratings disaster. It was just the same decline from the year before to the year before etc. 2016 ratings were higher than 2017 ratings which were higher than 2018 ratings. There was about the same % drop off from each year

The AFL Commission bring it up every year now. Maybe some of them need to retire to get it over the line.

Or we can keep it as it is. Everything works well as it is.

Things is, Grand Finals that have involved the Swans have rated really well; Sydneysiders tune in.

With GWS playing, the AFL will be disappointed in the numbers for sure.

what is a GWS? that's the issue. Before the Giants, Greater Western Sydney was only used in a bureaucratic context to include the Macarthur area (Campbelltown, Camden, etc) in the Western Sydney Region Organisation of Councils. No one up here really identifies with it and particularly the BS abbreviation made up by Victorians. Call the team Western Sydney and perhaps there might be a bit of catch on and ownership.

Sydney Swans are still the metropolitan's predominant AFL team.

what is a GWS? that's the issue. Before the Giants, Greater Western Sydney was only used in a bureaucratic context to include the Macarthur area (Campbelltown, Camden, etc) in the Western Sydney Region Organisation of Councils. No one up here really identifies with it and particularly the BS abbreviation made up by Victorians. Call the team Western Sydney and perhaps there might be a bit of catch on and ownership.

There’s no denying it’s a shocking, shocking name. When they first announced it I assumed it was just a working title. It sounds like a local council.

I think you are right, but for the wrong reasons.

The main issue was the sun's position, or more specifically, the shadow.

It depends on perspective.

what type of morons layout a playing venue East-West? I suppose it was to originally appease the MCC and the ground has developed from there, but it's dumb.

More so Western Australians who copied it with Perth Stadium when they don't have a stuffy old club to keep happy.

Yeah absolutely, it's just a dumb name. It's certainly not too late to change it, either.

Facts are, this GF wasn't some kind of one-off ratings disaster. It was just the same decline from the year before to the year before etc. 2016 ratings were higher than 2017 ratings which were higher than 2018 ratings. There was about the same % drop off from each year

Except 2018 greatly out rated 2017 by about 800,000...

Except 2018 greatly out rated 2017 by about 800,000...

Not according to what I read

"Yesterday's match was considerably lower than last year's nail-biting finale between Collingwood and West Coast. The 2018 contest delivered an average national audience of 3.378 Million (2.601mil 5-City Metro).

Richmond's previous victory in the 2017 Grand Final delivered Seven an average national audience of 3.524 Million (2.680mil 5-City Metro). The Tigers contest versus Adelaide Crows peaked at 4.173 Million."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not according to what I read

"Yesterday's match was considerably lower than last year's nail-biting finale between Collingwood and West Coast. The 2018 contest delivered an average national audience of 3.378 Million (2.601mil 5-City Metro).

Richmond's previous victory in the 2017 Grand Final delivered Seven an average national audience of 3.524 Million (2.680mil 5-City Metro). The Tigers contest versus Adelaide Crows peaked at 4.173 Million."

The article I read was quoting peak for last year and average for 2017, but the peak was still higher in 2018 at 4.3 million

For WA people yes.

On a purely selfish point of view our cricket season starts mid-september for some bloody reason. I'd prefer it moved to a twilight or a night for myself so I can watch it. There would be quite a few who also would be in the same boat or would have to work. Please note I'm a Queenslander and not a West Australian.

Not a great reason for change I know but it's still objectively better than "We've always done it this way" and on par with all the other selfish reasons (i.e. It's great for BBQs, I don't want to get too drunk, I wouldn't like it aesthetically at night).

On a purely selfish point of view our cricket season starts mid-september for some bloody reason. I'd prefer it moved to a twilight or a night for myself so I can watch it. There would be quite a few who also would be in the same boat or would have to work. Please note I'm a Queenslander and not a West Australian.

Not a great reason for change I know but it's still objectively better than "We've always done it this way" and on par with all the other selfish reasons (i.e. It's great for BBQs, I don't want to get too drunk, I wouldn't like it aesthetically at night).

They play cricket on Grand Final day in QLD?

Forgetting TV ratings, I don't see any way a night GF is better game or day, yet I can argue for the day game being better.

Apart from revenue? What's the argument for a night game?
Lol you're obviously not in corporate mate. "Apart from revenue"? Lmao they'd get security to chuck you out if you said that in a board room. I hear and agree with you tho

Forgetting TV ratings, I don't see any way a night GF is better game or day, yet I can argue for the day game being better.

Apart from revenue? What's the argument for a night game?

You're right or course. Those of us who would like to think of AFL as a sport can see no reason whatsoever for a night GF. However, AFL ceased being a sport years ago, and every decision made is justified by money. Not sure how much more money people actually need, but that's another question. I wouldn't watch a twilight GF, but then again, the AFL ceased giving a s**t about what I want years ago.

I just keep thinking of the poor players. This is not another game, it's a Grand Final. Anyone you ever talk to who has played in one will tell you that the match couldn't start early enough for them, they just want to get into it. Asking them to wait around for another 3 hours is unfair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back