Toast Farewell and thank you, Darren Burgess

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
Thanks Burgo,
I expect In 2 years time, for all your work to kick in when ADEL run over the top of GC, Collingwood, Hawks, Blues and North well know why!
His fitness Expertise is held is high regard, and so it should.

As good as he is, can't do much with that shambolic culture they have , I'm afraid. They'll probably laugh him off.

Our players accepted his help with both arms, don't know about the Crom.

Thanks Burgo, but your next task is much harder task.

As good as he is, can't do much with that shambolic culture they have , I'm afraid. They'll probably laugh him off.

Our players accepted his help with both arms, don't know about the Crom.
Crom are heading similar to us a few years back. Not sure about culling all the Olds blokes they've done but they're doing a full reset of the culture It seems. Good luck to Burgo.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Excellent podcast with Darren Burgess and Dr Peter Brukner about their time at Melbourne, well worth the listen.

Just came here to post this. I'm only 10 minutes in and already really enjoying it. Highlights so far are:

- Goody one of the main reasons he chose Melbourne. Had huge financial offers overseas but chose to come to the Dees.
- How bad the off-season was between 2018 and 2019. Almost half the list had surgery. Was a huge factor of finishing second last in 2019.
- Goody/Richardson saying to the other coaches "never talk about players physically, we are about coaching and culture. Let Burgo handle the physical component".

Edit: More good stuff:
  • Fritsch was the only player to do every training / gym session.
  • Gawn technically missed one session to attend a funeral, but got to the club at 6am to have his own private session to maintain his "100% training" record. Leading from the front

Last edited:

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I also got sad when he said that, when initially signing the contract, he told Josh Mahoney "make it 10 or 15 years, I'm not going anywhere..."

And then COVID, and his kids being in a different state, meant he had no option but to change tack.

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Screenshot_20220613-215830_Chrome.jpg

My question is, whilst Burgess was at the club, did anyone take down any notes?
Perhaps the guy who was his assistant might have. He did take over, but maybe just committed to memory. :drunk:

Adelaide is obviously not on board the Burgess train for some reason, conceding 8 last quarter goals…

1. Shut your whore mouth
2. Gotta give him a few years to work his magic mate. Took time for us also to get Burgo fit.

Back