Farewell Benny McGlynn

Remove this Banner Ad

Brave as they come.

Imagine if he'd hit that set shot in the last :(

(Also, imagine if Mitchell didn't inexplicably burn him when he was free in the corridor, instead inexplicably and ineffectively kicking the ball out to the wing. Moral goal.)

Farewell Benny, still remember a game in 2010 against Freo in Perth, was chasing a ground ball with Zac Clarke coming the other way and didn't hesitate to put his head over it. Courageous and tough as they come and was a vital part of our team from 2010-14.

Very sad to see him go, even though the time is right. Loved his effort and determination even if execution sometimes left a little to be desired. One of the few Swans who had a bit of "mongrel" about him.

I did promise I would stay away so I didn’t lay my crap on people after the GF but gotta come in and say a few words for Benny.

Became a bit of a whipping boy this year out of frustration in his skills, but proud of how he fought back and became a vital cog in getting us to the Grand Final.

Seemed to be one player who worked very well with Franklin in hitting him at his favourite spot and roving to him. Not always on song but probably the best in our team at that role. Hope Papley can take that over seamlessly.

Will miss his hard at it approach and accurate goal kicking (for the most part)

Came in a package with Kennedy and gave us great service out of that deal. Seems like a very committed family man.

We probably only saw one perfect game where Papley and McGlynn worked together so I’m sure he knew the time was right for himself and the future of the club.

Got everything out of himself and I will always wish he had a premiership medal to show for it but sadly not to be. He is as much a part of the 2012 Premiership as those that played in the game.

Was so close to that fairy-tale ending. Was looking really good after the geelong game, but we just couldn't put it together on the most important day of the year.

Will finish his career with a few what ifs. Gotta feel for the guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shame he couldn't leave as a premiership player. There are plenty of premiership players less deserving, but that's the way it is sometimes. Great player for the club.

Cheers Ben

Congratulations on a good career, Benny. Helped the Swans to a premiership in 2012 and deserved a medal for his efforts leading up to that final game. Loved that he never gave up giving everything he had even when he knew the writing was on the wall. Just kept fighting.

A warrior for sure....I remember that Perth game as well. One of my favourites, time has caught up and will be well remembered....there will always be the elephant in the room re gf's, however he has plenty of ammo for anyone wanting to question his credentials....will be rememberef as a Swan, not a Hawk and I am glad he played for us.

Farewell to Benny - won't be the same without him, but the timing is right.

Such a shame in particular about 2012 - that was his best season for us, and he deserved to be part of that Premiership Team (far more deserving of a medal in terms of his contribution to a premiership season than others that have been in the news).

Well done on a fine career Benny!

Loved Benny when he first joined the club. So hard at the footy. And he just had a great knack of working his way into space well. Was it Tadhg that joked he popped up out of nowhere like a sprinkler?

Wonderful servant of the club. Just sorry he didn't get that Flag with us.

Almost feel teary eyed at the whole ending...but Benny can be proud he got to play in 2 GFs. Would feel the 2012 medal was his but to not quite have it must really hurt. At his peak, he'll always be remembered as a team first player who led from the front with his tireless 2 way gut running and fearless aggression and attack on the ball. Well done Benny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back