Farewell Brett Deledio - 243 Tiger Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, although I think it is more sadness & disappointment than anger.
Anyone who has watched him over the years and witnessed his effort, courage & leadership could never knock him.
He, alone, has given us more to be proud of than half the squad.
It must have been disheartening for him to regularly see such pisspoor effort around him on some days.

Maybe that interaction I had with him in Torquay last Xmas where he said he would have traded half our players, during trade week, if he was in charge, was not just made in jest!!
I'm sure it wasn't made in jest. And he has a point.

Since Richo Lids has been the next player we’ve all invested in. I remember when he started I thought he was a bit soft, over the years I believe he became one of our toughest players. The complete package in terms of skills and speed. Thank you Brett you were always the glimmer of hope for our footy club.

Since Richo Lids has been the next player we’ve all invested in. I remember when he started I thought he was a bit soft, over the years I believe he became one of our toughest players. The complete package in terms of skills and speed. Thank you Brett you were always the glimmer of hope for our footy club.

hey!!!! i call BS...its a photo finish between Lids and Jayden Post. He didnt fulfil his potential because he wasnt given 6-7 games to gain confidence and experience to deliver on it. :)

I'm interested to know the reasons behind these comments because it doesn't paint a good picture unless it's just media crap....

"BRETT Deledio has demanded a trade to Greater Western Sydney, ... said the relationship between he and Richmond had become untenable"

Lids will always be a Tiger in my eyes.
I remember meeting him a few years ago and he bled for our club.
He is a passionate player and it would not be easy for him to move on. Knowing the deals helps RFC as well as himself shows the man he is.
I will be watching the GWS games with a bit more interest this year, I may even find a reason to travel up there and see a game or 2.
Lids is welcome back to Punt Road anytime. Absolute champion and a ripper bloke.
The club will be alright, we will move on, but Lids will always be one of our much loved sons at Tigerland!

All the best Lids!

When I bought my last jumper at RFC they said to me what number would I like to have on it: Instantly I said Lids
Very funny man, Silky player, one of the nicest and a bleeder for the club - Never thought this day would come but it is what is.
Brett - You're a legend and a half Lids gonna miss ya heaps mate!

brett_deledio_galvanise_628.jpg

Gonna be hard to watch him in a different Guernsey, but it is the best move for him and the club.

I really do hope he comes back in 2 years and takes back number 3 for a final year or 2, but it wont happen.

I'm interested to know the reasons behind these comments because it doesn't paint a good picture unless it's just media crap....

"BRETT Deledio has demanded a trade to Greater Western Sydney, ... said the relationship between he and Richmond had become untenable"

Good way of saying he cleaned out his locker early and can't face walking back in with his tail between his legs.

Classic case of a player reflecting on a career and deciding he needs a crack at a grand final and can't see that with us. Glad he's going to GWS and not Geelong. Will win a flag or two if he can stay on the park.

I'm actually happy for Brett, but have a very unusual downcast emotion when i think of him leaving, the sort reserved only for things such as Richo retiring. That is, a generational level of unusual emotion. why? Because Deledio IMO is the most skillful tiger I've seen. Criminally underrated for stuff the lay-supporter doesn't even know him for (eg handball either hand, non-preferred kicking and tacking).

In a better team than Richmond my belief is Brett would be at Ablett level, or perhaps whatever is just below that (considered Elite, rather than 'merely' A-grade). I had hoped despite being dragged down by poor teams he could overcome and still show that. I think my emotion is knowing this will never happen now at Richmond. Probably never now happen given his age.

Anyway, notwithstanding the rumoured untenable relationship with Richmond and the circumstances that led to that (if true - given it's media reporting it), I really hope at the very backend of his career, with more support around him, he can live his dream and show the football world what he's got.

I hold no grudges - especially if we can get a good deal for an aging player - but am sad. I'll always support Brett given his level of commitment to the tiges over the journey. Hope it all works out for him. Always a tiger BD3.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the long term will be remembered as just another Tiger player. No hard feelings Brett. Think you could've been so much more, and happy to concede that maybe being at Richmond hindered that somewhat.

Agreed, although I think it is more sadness & disappointment than anger.
Anyone who has watched him over the years and witnessed his effort, courage & leadership could never knock him.
He, alone, has given us more to be proud of than half the squad.
It must have been disheartening for him to regularly see such pisspoor effort around him on some days.

Maybe that interaction I had with him in Torquay last Xmas where he said he would have traded half our players, during trade week, if he was in charge, was not just made in jest!!

No he was probably right and we still ignore the elephant in the room

Tiger forever! Thanks for steering the ship for so long...!
I hope #3 doesn't hit the ground at RFC
No never under Hardwick the jumper will never hit the ground

I'm actually happy for Brett, but have a very unusual downcast emotion when i think of him leaving, the sort reserved only for things such as Richo retiring. That is, a generational level of unusual emotion. why? Because Deledio IMO is the most skillful tiger I've seen. Criminally underrated for stuff the lay-supporter doesn't even know him for (eg handball either hand, non-preferred kicking and tacking).

In a better team than Richmond my belief is Brett would be at Ablett level, or perhaps whatever is just below that (Elite, rather than A-grade). I had hoped despite being dragged down by poor teams he could overcome and still show that. I think my emotion is knowing this will never happen now at Richmond. Probably never now happen given his age.

Anyway, notwithstanding the rumoured untenable relationship with Richmond and the circumstances that led to that (if true - given it's media reporting it), I really hope at the very backend of his career, with more support around him, he can live his dream and show the football world what he's got.

I hold no grudges - especially if we can get a good deal for an aging player - but am sad. I'll always support Brett given his level of commitment to the tiges over the journey. Hope it all works out for him. Always a tiger BD3.
Well said, Terra.
Super player that gave everything he had. If Judd was elite then Lids is just a rung below - on the TF rating scale.
If fit, will absolutely carve them up in Sydney. Looking forward to grimacing every time he touches it against us!

I'm sad for us and glad for Lids. Providing those calves can hold up, he should have another 3 - 5 good years in him. GWS are going to be very scary next year and for years to come.

I'm sure it wasn't made in jest. And he has a point.

I'm sure it would have been made in jest, if excluding one or two that everyone could see had to go. 12 months ago Lids and the rest of the team would have fully believed they were pushing for top four. Doesn't matter how deluded it seems now, general sentiment in the public and definitely within Tigerland was that they would make finals for the fourth time, and even improve again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back