News Farewell Clay

Remove this Banner Ad

His whole finals series, his attack on the ball, just the way he conducted himself coming back from three knee reconstructions. So grateful he got on the park in 2016 and showed what he was truly capable of, but will always think it could’ve been so much more if it wasn’t for rotten luck. Wish him well for his future.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The 2016 prelim will live with me forever and a big reason for that was Clay's performance.
For him to have such an emotional week and come out and kick 4 goals in the 1st half set the game up for us.
Then his interview after the game where he spoke about his mate.
3 knee recos
1 premiership

Although cruelled by injury, Clay managed to get on the park and deliver when we needed him the most - an equal career high bag of 4 goals to help overcome our Preliminary final hoodoo. I never would've picked that after watching his knee implode for the third time in 2015!

A career cut short with only 55 games and 43 goals, but his duty is done as far as I'm concerned. All the best Clay :thumbsu:

His article on Player's Voice was brilliant.

The list of players to kick 4 goals in a half of a prelim must be very very short. No Clay, no 2016 flag.

There was more than a little foreshadowing of todays announcement in that interview.

Sad day, however I am glad that he was able to be a fit and integral part of our premiership when the odds were really stacked against him in during what in effect was an injury cruelled career.

I wonder if he heard me screaming from 10000 miles away at each of his Prelim goals?

Courage. Determination. Loyalty.

Thanks.

We were a much better side with him playing well, crazily courageous, attacking the footy.

Got to see the highs and the lows of football - hopefully things go more smoothly off the field for him now.

Thanks Clay !!

A short but eventful career.
September. Not a bad month to play the best games of your life.
We'll miss you Clay, both the power and the passion. Just the sort of player we are crying out for right now.

But you owe us nothing. Go in peace.
All the best for the future Clay O'donoghue-Smith...

His career was cut down cruelly. But from where he was in that painful game in 2015, if you had said to him then “you are going to be a premiership hero for this club!” He would have been happy with that outcome. He can retire content and I hope he is, he deserves it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will always be remembered for the immense finals series in 2016. That finals series was a snapshot of his career. Uncompromising, tough, able to kick a clutch goal, put the fear of god into opponents and the last time he was not injured.
A shame it has to come to an end but rest knowing you were an integral part of the 2016 masterpiece.
Thanks Clay

A wonderful player for us. A career cut too short, talent and skill wasted on a body that couldn't hold up. Conversely, he achieved what most players never do and won a premiership. Strange game sometimes. Hope he does well in his next move.

Man I am gutted as for him. A good bloke who deserved so much better, was always hoping he would be able to hit the 150 game mark. Hated seeing his name pop up all the time as suffering some kind of injury, and then being out for so long. But credit to him, and the club as well for preserving and pushing through each one. He may not have had the games career he would have wanted, but he sure the hell had a career that most could even dream of. Just to be able to say he has played AFL at all, made some friendships, and more importantly, won a Premiership Cup.

Saw glimpses of what he could be throughout 2016, and the finals series particularly the preliminary final will always be etched in our memories. So much respect for his toughness and ability to push on where many would have given up. Will always be one of my favorite Bulldogs. Look after yourself, all the best for the next stage of life, and thanks for bleeding red, white and blue and all the memories the past few years.

That 2016 prelim will live on in Bulldogs’ folklore forever, and a large part of that win was thanks to this bloke - thanks Clay.

Farewell Clay. BOG in the best game I've been to.

Watch his 4 goals

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-09-...uge-first-half

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 2.1 5.2 9.7 12.11 (83)
WESTERN BULLDOGS 2.3 6.5 9.6 13.11 (89)

GOALS
Greater Western Sydney: Patton 4, Greene 3, Lobb 3, D. Smith, Shaw
Western Bulldogs: C. Smith 4, Dickson 4,Cordy 2, Daniel, Bontempelli, Macrae

BEST
Greater Western Sydney: Kelly, Scully, Patton, Coniglio, Wilson, Greene
Western Bulldogs: C. Smith, Dahlhaus, Dickson, Morris, Wood, Johannisen, Macrae, Picken

INJURIES
Greater Western Sydney: Ward (concussion)
Western Bulldogs: Roughead (eye)

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Nicholls, Schmitt, Meredith

Official crowd: 21,790 at Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back