Universal Love Farewell David Ellard - announced retirement today

Remove this Banner Ad

While David Ellard was not a massive player in terms of his impact at the club like others such as Judd and Carrazzo, his commitment should never ever be questioned. He has had a horror run with injuries but the coaches never seemed to give up on him. And despite me thinking that he should have been left out a few times, I understood why he was chosen for certain matches.

You can lack so much skill but it would not bother me as much as others. If you play with heart and passion, you deserve lots of recognition.

8 seasons and 63 games seems quite strange but without a doubt, he was well deserving of them.
Congrats David Ellard and good luck with your future plans.

Anyone know if Ellard has ambitions or the footy brain to go down the coaching route? 26 is too young to walk away altogether - shame to see retirement when not seemingly from injury.

Good point. Although not sure he could remain at Carlton in such a capacity given he has been a bit player playing with these blokes. What was his voice like at VFL level?

Anyway will have 63 games in 8 seasons. Still a fair bit of longevity in AFL terms and hopefully he has managed to invest some of that money over the years.

Sort of a Luke O'Sullivan career, much loved clubman with limitations. A lot harder to have such a career in this day and age.

Best of luck Davey.

Has anybody heard from guns? He'd be devastated.

Last edited:

One of the first games of footy the wife and I went to was a Carl vs Ess* game.
Back in 2010 we smacked them by 76 points.

At some point in the 3rd qtr - little Davy Ellard kicks a goal form 45 out near the boundary...

A group of blokes 5 rows behind us yell out - "Who kicked that?...Ellard? YEAH!!! ELLARD.... Who the **** is ELLARD!"

From that night on every time he kicked a goal... the Mrs and I would say that out loud....

Will miss that - all the best Ellard... whoever the **** you are

Ellard deserves better than some of the insinuations put forth here.

As Sin City, he was a great club man, whom squeezed every ounce of his ability.

He will be missed,every club needs blokes like Davey Ellard. Hope he has a successfully and fulfilling life after footy.

EDIT: Received a text from Guns about an hour ago, can confirm he is still alive!

Probably got bored at the 20km mark of some marathon somewhere.

Good on you mate. If only your attitude was contagious amongst the playing group.

I hope the next chapter in you life is one of success.

Thank you and good luck!

Bloody good effort Dave. Was a handy player when he couldn't get a game under Ratts, always seemed to nab three goals and a stack of tackles whenever he got the opportunity. Good on the club for giving him the chance to go out on his own terms, the fact that he's outlasted so many more naturally talented players speaks volumes for his character and dedication.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might've lacked talent, but you didn't lack heart, cheers Ellard:thumbsu:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Davey. You got the chance to pull on the navy blue jumper which is something everyone on here would love to do and you played with pride and passion and what you lacked in height and ability you made up for it with guts and determination.

For someone who was a genuine in-and-under footballer, to become a roll player doing jobs that were required is a testament to your effort and attitude.
Well played.

He's a footy head from a footy head family.

My bet he's taking a coaching position somewhere.
Hope the club has arranged a development position with the Bullants for him. While he might not be able to teach silky skills, he can teach the basics and he can instill passion and endeavour into the jumper.

And as for my tribute to him. He gave more of himself to the club because of his heart and passion to play for the Navy Blue. While his skill levels weren't the greatest, he played to the fullest of his abilities every time he ran out for the club. While people have derided him over the years for his lack of skills, it was often his more illustrious team mates who let the team down more than Davie did.

All the best for the future mate. And if you ever find yourself in Bunbury, lets have a pint or two to celebrate your career!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back