Toast Farewell Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

I've heard whispers we in fact very much encouraged him to go. Not that we don't value him at the club, but he's on an expensive contract in a time where footy ops costs have been slashed by a third.

We also feel that we needed fresh ideas and a fresh approach in this space. Don't be surprised if we go with someone a bit more green.

Don't at all hate the idea of new blood vs poaching from elsewhere. I like the thought of getting someone in the mould of Ameet Bains - someone with footy and business acumen who can rise up the ranks quick.

I've heard whispers we in fact very much encouraged him to go. Not that we don't value him at the club, but he's on an expensive contract in a time where footy ops costs have been slashed by a third.

We also feel that we needed fresh ideas and a fresh approach in this space. Don't be surprised if we go with someone a bit more green.

Whilst this is a rumour, it does make sense to me.

Good job GW - thank you for your outstanding contribution to our club.

Lot of shortsighted banter in here about poaching this one, or recycling that one when the fact is there has been no better time to be in the market for an AFL administrator than right now.

Covid has decimated the industry across all levels and there are many, many competent administrators and rising stars with fresh perspectives that are sidelined through no fault of their own. I would really hope that the club casts its net far and wide to reveal the most progressive candidates rather than visit the merry-go-round of other club's green grass or our own favourite sons.

After all - it worked with the Cockroach.

You just have to take your hat off to the great man. Overseeing a lot of change at Hawthorn and keeping us in the game until recently.
Good luck in his next tenure at Collingwood.
New faces, new ideas and a fresh approach to tackle the next 5-10 years under a new coach.
With all of the challenges in the world atm a freshen up is just what the doctor ordered

Wright was professional, intelligent and is a huge loss to the club. We need to search far and wide for the best possible replacement. No doubt the club wanted him to stay but sometimes this is not possible for a number of reasons. Wish him all the best in his new role.

This however does raise a few questions in my mind. Are we heading towards a full changing of the guard and clarko will depart after his contract too? Many have repeatedly referred to the difficulty hub life contributed to the 2020 season, did it play any role in this departure? Will the impact of hub life ever get revealed? This appears to have been stage managed, how long ago did he resign? Would love to have an honest and open conversation regarding this.

Anyways, I think the hfc list is actually in pretty good shape and our youngsters will show a lot over the 21/22 seasons, go hawks!!

Wright was professional, intelligent and is a huge loss to the club. We need to search far and wide for the best possible replacement. No doubt the club wanted him to stay but sometimes this is not possible for a number of reasons. Wish him all the best in his new role.

This however does raise a few questions in my mind. Are we heading towards a full changing of the guard and clarko will depart after his contract too? Many have repeatedly referred to the difficulty hub life contributed to the 2020 season, did it play any role in this departure? Will the impact of hub life ever get revealed? This appears to have been stage managed, how long ago did he resign? Would love to have an honest and open conversation regarding this.

Anyways, I think the hfc list is actually in pretty good shape and our youngsters will show a lot over the 21/22 seasons, go hawks!!
Given that just about every line of our coaching and administration has been picked apart and decimated over the past 5 seasons, I’ve never been more keen for Clarko to stay, even if he eventually moved to another roll. One of his great, and probably underrated assets are his relationship skills and an ability to attract and bring together really great people off the field. We need that more than ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a Guy called Ned working at an AFL club that I heard might be available?! Don’t know much about him, think he works part time but players love him

Ned Guy works part time at the Pies?
Maybe it went completely over my head...

We sacked him due to COVID cuts, was a part time development coach, would be a big jump to be footy manager.
Yes, that’s the joke.

Thanks to Graham Wright for his contribution to the Club. Fourteen years is a long stint for any club administrator these days and renewal may be best for both parties. The appointment of our new football manager is an opportunity to introduce new ideas and energy into the organisation. Will it be an experienced football manager, an ambitious young high flyer or someone completely out of left field?
If Kennett is correct and the club had discussions with Wright about his “retirement”, does the club already have a succession plan in place?
We will get answers to some of these questions in due course but we are certainly witnessing a significant changing of the guard.
Will Jeff be next cab off the rank ?

Thanks to Graham Wright for his contribution to the Club. Fourteen years is a long stint for any club administrator these days and renewal may be best for both parties. The appointment of our new football manager is an opportunity to introduce new ideas and energy into the organisation. Will it be an experienced football manager, an ambitious young high flyer or someone completely out of left field?
If Kennett is correct and the club had discussions with Wright about his “retirement”, does the club already have a succession plan in place?
We will get answers to some of these questions in due course but we are certainly witnessing a significant changing of the guard.
Will Jeff be next cab off the rank ?
lets hope so

Terrific leader of the club for a long time. Did a great job overseeing recruitment for many years, and I really appreciated the way he represented the club during the trade/draft periods. Was the face and voice of the club’s recruitment activities, and always spoke well on our behalf.

After 15 or so years seems like a good time to go separate ways. Looking forward to a fresh perspective coming on board.

Does the time of year hinder our chances of finding the best candidate?
Nah, no club is going to let that type of person go during the first part of the off season due to the intensity of activity that occurs around football and list management at that time. There probably isn’t a good time but this wouldn’t be the worst time.

Nah, no club is going to let that type of person go during the first part of the off season due to the intensity of activity that occurs around football and list management at that time. There probably isn’t a good time but this wouldn’t be the worst time.

This, plus the time of the year clearly didn't hinder Collingwood's chances of getting the best candidate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back