Toast Farewell Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn’t the point of a list manager to stop the coach making short term calls and do what’s in interests of the list? Ie they report to the board, not Clarko.
If Clarko Is pushing experienced people out that disagree with him that’s a concern.

Who do you think have left or been pushed out because of Clarko

Not shooting the messenger - but given Don's recent history and his acrimonious feelings towards the club I dare say he's not privy to much inside information and is just saying what he thinks has happened.
I don't believe that Don has any issues with the club, just Jeff and he wouldn't be alone there.

I don't believe that Don has any issues with the club, just Jeff and he wouldn't be alone there.

Goes well beyond his rift with Kennett - he has had nothing positive to say about the club for many years now and didn't even watch let alone attend any of our grand finals in the threepeat era. After his salary cap comments last year I don't think too many would be whispering to him freely.

Goes well beyond his rift with Kennett - he has had nothing positive to say about the club for many years now and didn't even watch let alone attend any of our grand finals in the threepeat era. After his salary cap comments last year I don't think too many would be whispering to him freely.
But do you think his information is wrong?

Context is really important. I am sure there are a myriad of reasons taken into account by Wright when he made his decision. Some being more important than others.

I'd suspect that this is a chinese whisper. Started out as an innocuous comment that by the time got to Don was something a bit more and he has ramped up further.

IMO, Wright got offered a job at Collingwood where he played 201 games over 10 years, won a premiership and nearly a Brownlow. Probably thought that he had done all he could at Hawthorn and wanted a fresh challenge.

I don't see the point in looking for hidden reasons when the obvious is the most likely explanation.

I don't know definitively either way - however if I was to seek anyone's guidance on the inner workings of our club then Don Scott is low on the list of sources I would consult.

Scott has had nothing to do with the club for over a decade and has regularly said that he is far more interested in local footy than in anything Hawthorn.

He may know some things going on but Im sure there are plenty of posters here who know far more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea if what Scott has said is accurate or not. He still has relationships with a number of past players that would certainly know the inner dealings, to a degree, of the club. So I don't think it can be dismissed entirely.

The club is really unrecognisable from our dynasty now. I have found it really concerning that both Lewis and Hodge continue to spend time at, and support, Melbourne and Brisbane respectively. Lewis in particular.

Having read Roughead's book, I also note that he took time to get over the shitshow that was Clarko not guaranteeing him a farewell game until the 11th hour, players having to push the case.

There was a great, and fair, article in the Age today about where we are at:

Last edited:
Scott has had nothing to do with the club for over a decade and has regularly said that he is far more interested in local footy than in anything Hawthorn.

He may know some things going on but Im sure there are plenty of posters here who know far more.
Yet people hang off every slur/barb he drops at the Club's expense & sh*t-can those knowledgeable posters if something they share doesn't come to fruition... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No idea if what Scott has said is accurate or not. He still has relationships with a number of past players that would certainly know the inner dealings, to a degree, of the club. So I don't think it can be dismissed entirely.

The club is really unrecognisable from our dynasty now. I have found it really concerning that both Lewis and Hodge continue to spend time at, and support, Melbourne and Brisbane respectively. Lewis in particular.

Having read Roughead's book, I also note that he took time to get over the shitshow that was Clarko not guaranteeing him a farewell game until the 11th hour, players having to push the case.

Agreed HawkDork.... A very fair assessment on where we are at!

We were a chance for finals and all Clarko has ever talked about is team, not individual.

Had we played Rough and lost and missed out by 1 game the anger for Rough and Clarko would have been huge.

As for Lewis and Hodge... players almost always play on too long. Which we saw with both of them in their final year. Hodge really was far more coach than player, and Lewis had nothing left in the tank.

I have found it really concerning that both Lewis and Hodge continue to spend time at, and support, Melbourne and Brisbane respectively. Lewis in particular.

Yes it’s a crazy state of affairs that Hodge and Lewis hang around at those two clubs. You’d think they were both employed at the Lions and Demons the way they hang around and support them...oh wait!

Welcome to professional sports. I’m sure both still have love for the club but as it stands they’re employed by other clubs so of course they don’t drop by Waverley on the regular and cheerlead the Hawks in the media. Just like Michael Voss doesn’t do similarly for the Lions because he’s employed by Port Adelaide now.

Yes it’s a crazy state of affairs that Hodge and Lewis hang around at those two clubs. You’d think they were both employed at the Lions and Demons the way they hang around and support them...oh wait!

Welcome to professional sports. I’m sure both still have love for the club but as it stands they’re employed by other clubs so of course they don’t drop by Waverley on the regular and cheerlead the Hawks in the media. Just like Michael Voss doesn’t do similarly for the Lions because he’s employed by Port Adelaide now.

Fair enough, I wasn't actually aware Lewis has a position at the Demons? I thought Hodge finished up his part-time role at the Lions also? Point well made.

Fair enough, I wasn't actually aware Lewis has a position at the Demons? I thought Hodge finished up his part-time role at the Lions also? Point well made.

The other thing to consider regarding ex-players and culture is that Mitchell came back to the club after only 2 years at WCE and had multiple big money offers at Victorian clubs where head coaching would have come up quickly and he didn’t take them. Sammy’s footy IQ is through the roof and could have had his pick of clubs but he came straight back home.

Tom Mitchell was 23, we gave up pick 14 (pushed back to 16) - no way that trade can ever be bagged.

Wright may not have been the official list manager by title but there was seemingly a clear division of duties between him and Mark McKenzie where Wrighty was in charge of the trade/free agency period and McKenzie was in charge of the draft - albeit with list management as a whole likely a committee decision between the two of them, Clarko and others.

For those saying he was no longer list manager he was always the one discussing trade week in the media. It was clearly still under his scope as GM.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back