Farewell Logan Austin

Remove this Banner Ad

Brett Eddy says hi...... don't forget me. Still I thought we lost the granny thursday night (Irra*) gameday (coaching) and who can forget
the umpires

* ok he wasn't the difference but not ideal when he busted his guts all year.
yeah i'm biased... I like Irra. His attitude and his improvement

Eddy dominated all year. Austin barely fired a shot.

Would have liked him to stay but really not bothered that he's gone. At best he may become an ok AFL player but he's never going to be a game changer. I'm sure he's happy that Jack Steele can read him bed time stories now.

Maybe he just wants an AFL career?

We aren't dropping Jonas, Clurey, Hombsch or Howard for him. Jonas is the oldest, only 26, so what do you want Austin to do?
Maybe see out his contract?
He was good before his injury in '16, but terrible this year.
Perhaps he'll always be an average player, but why not try to improve. Try to take a spot.
Injuries/suspensions/form drops happen.

I've got no issue with Ah Chee or Young leaving. They've been on the outer for a long time and it's obvious they are never going to cement a spot in this team. Those boys constantly do well in SANFL.
What has Austin done?

It's all moot anyway on a presumption of mine that he got a serve in his exit interview. It's highly possible he didn't, and you're correct that it's just about opportunity.

Whatever, best of luck to him.

Honestly a bit surprised at this.

Austin's game against Gold Coast last year made me think he'd be a 200+ game player for us.

The way he effectively negated Lynch, blocked his space and frustrated him as a first year player ticked many boxes for me.

We've rewarded lesser defenders with years and careers to prove themselves, I don't see why we couldn't have persisted with Austin for at least another year.

Thanks and good luck.

I'll wish any person all the best that has played for my club, but If we couldn't get the best out of him I doubt it whether St Kilda can. All the best Logan:thumbsu:

I reckon this one might hurt in a few years. Logan has the ability to play 200 games at full back.

Still I think with the second trade we did with Saint Kilda we got a reasonable amount for him. He looked good last year, but with his form drop he might never reach those heights again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We aren't dropping Jonas, Clurey, Hombsch or Howard for him. Jonas is the oldest, only 26, so what do you want Austin to do?

How long did Clurey wait around to be given a chance? He put in the work. Jonas put in the work too - earned it. Ditto Pittard. Houston - forced his way in.

Austin would've been given games too if his form had earned it.

Had a howler of a gf and now he’s not prepared to do the hard yards to win a spot.

Very different attitude to someone like Clurey.

Catch ya.
Spot on, my man love for Clurey is growing.

I genuinely wish all the others who left well but this one doesn't sit right. Not willing to do the hard yards to get up the pecking order, he took the easy option.

It didn't stop Clurey.

Only Jonas and Clurey are real locks in their key defensive positions. The other spots were open competition.

Glad he's gone if his attitude is to give up before it even starts.

I think Austin was St Kilda's fall back position. Couldn't land Tomlinson so went after him late.

Showed some promise in 2016 but couldn't recapture that form in 2017 after returning from injury.

Don't think we'll regret letting him go.

Eddy dominated all year. Austin barely fired a shot.
For mine it's a similar situation but slightly different if that makes sense.

Eddy can beat up SANFL clubs easily but when the pressure was on in a GF (The biggest game of his career) he melted when he had a chance to win us the game. Due to his age I think he won't make it at AFL level.

Austin was crap all year but I still thought maybe he could bounce back to his 2016 form next year due to his age.

if one more person points to his side-step as an indication he will be a good player i'll go heave. I think its about a 40 percent chance he'll play 100 games at AFL level.

He probably saw the writing on the wall that it was going to be hard to break into that f*****g backline of ours.

Of course he could have rose to the challenge but if St Kilda have a spot for him in their best 22 right now then fair enough.

Mason Shaw the 2nd... looked like he had what it took to be an AFL footballer but never seemed brave enough to push his body beyond about 70%.

And as with Mason, he walked more laps of Alberton oval in 3 years than Ginever would have in his entire career.

As others have stated, he took the easy way out.

Good luck with the rest of your career, but you are now just another face in the .50c badge bin!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back