Toast Farewell Mike Pyke

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 13, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
The Big Canadian seems set to retire at the B&F tonight, according to The Age.

What a story he is. From scoring tries against New Zealand in 2007 to being called the worst player of all time by the fat man with a moustache to being almost our best on ground against Hawthorn in the 2012 Grand Final. His impact on that day, when Mumford was as good as a Christmas ham left out for a few days, was massive. Rucked for the whole last quarter and surprise surprise, we got on top!

Always gave 100% and will be missed around the club!

Thanks Pykey!

Jon-snow-sad-gif.gif

Dr.-Who.gif

Supernatural-Dean.gif

This will make me more than a bit sad actually.

Been a big fan of Pyke since he arrived and loved the extra work he put into learning the game and his craft.,
Certainly more than serviceable and his 2012 GF made a few (BT especially) eat their words when he carried the ruckwork solo to close out the game.

Had a good chat to him at the preseason fans day and seems a top bloke as well.

Completely selfless in announcing early so the Club can settle and add the extra player rather than list clog and collect another paycheck.

Onya Pykey :thumbsu:

Seems like it's over all too fast but what a career he had in that short time. Will be fondly remembered for many reasons but that 2012 Grand Final performance is the highlight for me.

Seems like a genuinely nice bloke too so I hope he stays around the club in some capacity.

can't sum it up any better.

Thanks big fella. There just wasn't enough opportunities for you to spear blokes for mine.... :(

And what could have been in the 2009 GF sprint, you slipped off the start, but in my heart you were the winner.

Champion.

Question though: on the afl website it says that Pyke retiring with a year left would give us more room in the salary cap. Doesn't his contract still get counted against the cap next year, it's just the swans dont have to pay him?

Either way, great contribution to the club and wont forget those big marks in 2012, and walking around the G with the Canadian flag.

Question though: on the afl website it says that Pyke retiring with a year left would give us more room in the salary cap. Doesn't his contract still get counted against the cap next year, it's just the swans dont have to pay him?

No, that's just a Franklin specific rule.

Seems only yesterday I was googling this

Short career, but quality. A premiership Ruckman, who played better then expected on the big stage

Haha. Love that. Scores tries against the All-Blacks and dominates the AFLs biggest game like it's no big deal, just his day job.

Still the best Canuk AFL player I have seen. Bob from Ontario gave him a run but Puke came out on top.

Sad if true. Was a great story and he seems such a nice guy.

Memo to BT: he can play dickhead. Got a shiny Premiership as well.

Indirectly thanking Dan Carter for passing it to him in that set up his try against the all blacks, apparently this footage impressed the swans.

Great last quarter in 2012 gf, marking the kick in that set up Goodes goal in last quarter will be forever remembered.

Worth remembering we've only ever had about 95 premiership players in our history and a former Canadian rugby player is one of them.

Thought he was cooked this year but then seemed to come good after a short rest of his troublesome knee. Extremely decent guy and very driven and professional. So happy for him to make it and even dominate was second contested mark in the league to Cloke at one stage. Seems a smart chap will do well in whatever path he chooses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad. Would love for him to spend another year on the list just as a backup. I guess his knee just isn't up to it.

Well done to a great career! Hopefully there will be some (not-so-)little Pykelets running around in the red and white soon!

Great story. 110 games and a Premiership = very good AFL career.

It's the marks in the Grand Final that I remember. He was very important in that game.

Good luck to him in the Finance world and hope his kids love the game.

Well, all good things come to an end. It felt like yesterday that I was surprised to hear a Canadian was going to play in the AFL. I was ecstatic when he even got a game, and even more so, a premiership medal. Well done Mike!

Then why did we still have Bradshaw on the books for two years after he quit?
Could be wrong but I think it was related to the fact he was picked up in the PSD and had to nominate terms before hand.

Sad to hear his career's coming to an end. Mike Pyke probably has one of the most underrated AFL careers in recent history, it's a massive achievement to come to a game so late relative to most players and not only get a game but also succeed. Pyke's journey from playing international rugby to transforming himself into a 100+ game premiership ruckman is an extraordinary story which is a testament to his determination and perseverance.

I'll always remember his last quarter in 2012 GF where he rucked alone and had some crucial moments as well, taking the mark before the Goodes goal, the kick out of midair to be marked by Jetta, without those moments we may not have won that game. 2013 was his peak as a player, I watched him thrive in that role as 2nd ruck - forward, think he was 2nd in contested marks that year from memory behind Travis Cloke and for moments that year he looked genuinely elite.

Awesome effort Mike, champion of the club, 100+ game premiership player, and possibly the greatest Canadian AFL player ever. :thumbsu:

*extremely swansfan51 voice*

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Retired.
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

Last edited:
Still waiting for an apology from BT. Last time I heard Richo needling him about THAT prediction he was extremely graceless and humourless in his response.

So how about it BT? The amazing thing is that people actually think better of someone who can admit to a mistake.

Knee must be rooted if he walks away from a side where Derrickx is next in.

What a great swans man Pyke has been. Grand final 2012 was a crucial player. He was good that whole year and for that window of his peak form was actually one of the better ruckman in the comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back