Toast Farewell Mike Pyke

Remove this Banner Ad

don't need YouTube, the mark and subsequent hand pass to Grundy that led to the Goodes goal in the last qtr of 2012 in my memory forever. (well at least until alcohol kills all my brain cells)

He marked it in about the same spot that Dean Cox did before he kicked it to Leo Barry in 2005, and Goodes crumbed the goal from about the same spot...

He marked it in about the same spot that Dean Cox did before he kicked it to Leo Barry in 2005, and Goodes crumbed the goal from about the same spot...

Holy Ground

So true. I can still see this in my minds eye. It was a miracle goal. At that stage with his posterior knee injury, Goodes could only run in straight lines.

Mal's goal was magnificent and is justly celebrated but for me Adam's goal and the events leading to it remain golden nuggets in my heart.

swansfan51 is not lending you his private pr0n collection, more likely to get access to the research room unsupervised than access to the Canadian Club Collection

Fun fact: I've never seen swansfan51 enter or leave that room with clothes on.

So true. I can still see this in my minds eye. It was a miracle goal. At that stage with his posterior knee injury, Goodes could only run in straight lines.

Mal's goal was magnificent and is justly celebrated but for me Adam's goal and the events leading to it remain golden nuggets in my heart.

Every time I sit down and watch a replay of '12, it reminds me just how immense Adam was given he was on one leg. There were so many 'crowning moments' in a glorious career, but that goal for mine is right up there. And Bruce got it spot on in the call - cometh the moment, cometh the champion!

So many magnificent moments in that last quarter - 2 huge pieces of play from Mattner (lead up to the Hanners goal + that tackle), Jetta's courage in the Hanners goal, Morton & Jack, Pyke all day but in the lead up to the Goodes goal, and of course Mal. Still gives me goosebumps when I watch any of that - transports me back to my seat at the 'G that day - and I hear the roar of the Swans faithful when the final siren goes as clear as if it was yesterday.

It didn't have the same huge emotional element of 2005 attached too it, but by gee it was a special day too. May we have another day like it soon!

Last edited:
Every time I sit down and watch a replay of '12, it reminds me just how immense Adam was given he was on one leg. There were so many 'crowning moments' in a glorious career, but that goal for mine is right up there. And Bruce got it spot on in the call - cometh the moment, cometh the champion!

So many magnificent moments in that last quarter - 2 huge pieces of play from Mattner (lead up to the Hanners goal + that tackle), Jetta's courage in the Hanners goal, Morton & Jack, Pyke all day but in the lead up to the Goodes goal, and of course Mal. Still gives me goosebumps when I watch any of that - transports me back to my seat at the 'G that day - and I hear the roar of the Swans faithful when the final siren goes as clear as if it was yesterday.

It didn't have the same huge emotional element of 2005 attached too it, but by gee it was a special day too. May we have another day like it soon!
The wind that had helped the Hawks Q1 and 3 and us in Q2 had dropped away. The Hawks played as if they had the game. Just couldn't quite nail the goal.
You've described some of this pieces of brilliance and courage that dragged us across the line.
I for one was absolutely exhausted when the siren blew.

Bloke was in it up to his eyeballs in the most important moments of his first final, playing a sport he picked up 2 years earlier.

That’s when it was clear the guy was a born winner.

Now he’s just printing money for Andrew Pridham.

Absolute alpha papa.
View attachment 1693433

Look at that head.

It’s like an Easter Island statue.

IMG_3468.png

As an aside: it’s genuinely sad to see the effect the last 12 years have had on this man.

Just the decade from hell.

Last edited:
2015 especially 🙁

Yeah obviously all the professional hardship in the world is absolutely meaningless compared to losing a child. But all that additional, public stress is just terrible when heaped on top of personal tragedy.

Makes the way the Saints treated him last year especially reprehensible, even with Essendon basically doing the same thing to Rutten. I understand there’s a bit of a “buy the ticket, take the ride” aspect with accepting a senior coaching job, regardless of your personal history.

But that club didn’t cover themselves with glory.

Anyway, this is the Mike Pyke thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mike Pyke makes you miss swansfan51

Bloke was in it up to his eyeballs in the most important moments of his first final, playing a sport he picked up 2 years earlier.

That’s when it was clear the guy was a born winner.

Now he’s just printing money for Andrew Pridham.

Absolute alpha papa.
View attachment 1693433

Look at that head.

It’s like an Easter Island statue.

Paul Roos was a real pioneer of coaching from the bench before everyone including Justin Longmuir started doing it.

Stretch McAndrew was still playing 15-a-side when Pyke was running around for us. The spirit of Mike lives on in a slightly lankier, North Shore raised version.
He has a long way to go Stretch, but this year has shown so far he isn't just a 'dartboard' prospect. A lot of similarities to Pyke at the same point - ruck craft already reasonable (though needs some more bulk) and a lot of work to do on his presence around the ground. But there is definitely something to work with there for sure - was far from disgraced in the ruck contest tonight. With Ladhams gone for a while, might get a really good run at it this season too, which while not ideal for our chances this season (he is very raw after all) will be of enormous benefit to his development.

Since this thread was resurrected recently, every time I see the title I tshit myself thinking it’s an obituary.

"It's one thing to mark the ball uncontested in training, it's a whole other thing with someone up your clacker"

Legend

Ask any Canadian who their greatest sportsman is & you’ll get “oh it’s Wayne Gretzky”.

Poor misguided fools. If only they knew the true greatness of Mike Pyke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back