Mega Thread Farewell our Champs - Boomer, Drew, Spud & NDS all gone at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Dal Santo and especially Boomer should of stayed on, they are head and shoulders above at least 5 or 6 others around Dal's age on your list. Such a shame, seems like only Firrito was looking at stepping aside this year out of the lot. Here's hoping they pick up a couple more wins

And on another note, I can't wait until 2017 when we will have a great run at winning the Bigfooty youth contests. Apparently even better than being able to win games.

Tough call, shocking to imagine life without Boomer, but the right call. Last week was an outlier, not the Hawthorn game. He goes out still playing well but not at the top of his game, which feels about right. He (and the others) are not going to make room for another free agent or a draftee, but for Clarke/Turner/Anderson/Garner/Dumont to get an extended run in the seniors. We can't keep a spot warm for cameos that will get fewer and farther between. It's time.

Scott conceding that we are now re-build mode.

This bloke is not the one to lead us forward. 7 year re-build and he didn't get it right. I don't think he deserves another 5 years to take us to the top again.

Hope Scott goes to Brisbane.

what garbage... nobody would've taken that list to two prelim finals... extracted every bit of ability from a sub par list... we lack superstars... they don't grow on trees... if you don't have them you don't win flags.

Speak for yourself. I'm happy boomer is going out on a high, I felt horrible groaning every three games when he had a stinker... He deserves more respect than that.

He'll kill it in the finals series, and retire without having the media hounding him on the back of 2017 poor form.

Every 3 games he had a stinker??????? lol did you watch this year. Hes been our most consistant player.

Talk to me Phillyroo. I need your calm guidance here.
I am really surprised, shattered, upset, let down, angry and really flat....
But at the same time a little proud. I'm proud that the club has the strength and foresight to make the really really hard decision. But mostly proud that I got to see these guys represent our club with so much passion, heart and determination.

When I get home from work today I'm going to break the news to my kids, and that is going to be a hard conversation. I know that both kids will cry about boomer, but I'm going to tell them something like this....

Boomer is a once in a forever player, never before has there ever been anyone like him, and never again will anyone get close. He loves our club more than any player I have seen in blue and white! One day when you are old people will ask you about Boomer, how good was he? Was he really that fast, was he the smartest player you ever saw, tell me about his goals.... You are bloody lucky to have seen him play every week for as long as you have watched footy! Our club probably wouldn't be here without him... So this Saturday night it is more important than ever to cheer our freaking asses off and get the boys up!!! A win gives us another chance to see our Boomer run around at least one more time in Melbourne, with us in the stands!!!

On another note, Dal, Petrie and Spud have been great servants of our club especially the last two.... Sorry to see them go.

Last edited:
Boomer deserved a other year. I do find it odd though that the 2 we look like offering contracts to in Wells and Waite are the most injury prone of all those we retired.

I could see that. Another way to look at is that if we have a great run next year, some natural improvement, less injuries and Wells & Waite stay fit they are the most likely to be the cream that wins us into and through finals. That's assuming that either of them are not also going.

Problem is 3 of those guys aren't an automatic selection.

Clearly shows how many mistakes Scott the clone has made over his time. Shocking re signing over the off season.

I suspect that the club would disagree and be expecting Wood, Garner & Turner to all be automatic selections when fit next year. I don't think that's too outrageous an opinion either.

Dear NM memberships, In light of today's utterly appalling lack of timing announcement, I will NOT be renewing my families membership for 2017. I dont take this decision lightly, however it now appears that the club lacks the administrative skills and foresight to be a serious contender for a premiership an time soon. You DO NOT make an announcement like this on the eve of the finals series.

Dear NM memberships, In light of today's utterly appalling lack of timing announcement, I will NOT be renewing my families membership for 2017. I dont take this decision lightly, however it now appears that the club lacks the administrative skills and foresight to be a serious contender for a premiership an time soon. You DO NOT make an announcement like this on the eve of the finals series.

Dont be a dickhead

Garner, Anderson and Turner have all been given plenty of opportunity to cement a spot between injuries.

If we want to retire someone to give Clarke and Dumont more opportunity then we should be looking at the bloke with a (c) next to his name, not the guy who is still in our top three players.

No explanation justifies letting Boomer go and re-signing Waite.

The four players said they wanted to know before the end of the year

Good. We sure don't need your type.

good, on your bike, I support north NO MATTER WHAT
I think its great timing... we can all go along and give them a good send off... woudve been hollow if they were all told at seasons end, and we didn't get a farewell opportunity
got some people hard to please

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While im with everyone in being let down. This is just crap, anyone considering jumping off now can stay off.

North Melbourne sans Brent Harvey? What does that even look like?

Throughout my entire football watching life Boomer has been the one constant. Through the highs of the premiership, to the lows of relocation speculation, Brent Harvey was always there. No matter what was happening off the field you always knew that you could turn on the footy of a weekend and watch the great man tear teams apart, even into his late 30's and there was never a man that the North faithful had more trust in with ball in hand. He was a great ambassador for the club off the field and always spoke of his passion for North Melbourne and us, the fans, and we will be poorer for his absence.

I'm not angry with this decision because I can see why they made it. But this is undoubtedly a sad day for our great footy club. We are losing a person that has arguably done more for North Melbourne than any other person as well as being one of our best ever on field.

It's hard to reconcile the fact that Brent Harvey will not be pulling on the royal blue and white stripes in 2017.

And then there's Spud and Drew. Both absolute warriors who have been great servants to our club and to our fans. Spud looked done 3 or 4 years ago, before his renaissance that saw him become one of our most reliable defenders in our two Preliminary final years.

While Drew, at times, has had to carry the weight of our attacking expectation almost single handedly and given us many highlights along the way. He may have had a poor final year but my enduring memories of Drew will consist of moments like his 6 goal quarter against the Dogs, his 5 goal, match winning last quarter against Richmond and, of course, Frank the Tank. At his best he was an elite contested mark who never left anything on field.

It is truly devastating that these two guys will not finish their careers as North Melbourne premiership players. It could certainly be argued that haven't been two North Melbourne people that would have deserved it more.

Last edited:

Or maybe you be up front and show some respect by not stringing along some great servants of the club?

If North can't get up the enthusiasm now and just throw caution to the wind in these finals, then nothing would.

Hard but fair decisions made at a time so we can all get along on Saturday night to farewell them in case it's their last game on Melbourne. The players can either sook or realise this is their last chance and play accordingly in the finals.

Drew and Spud have been brilliant servants of the club and will be missed. The correct call has been made and the timing is also perfect.

Dal has been great for us, although his form has dropped this year. Thanks for your time and effort. Perfect timing.

Boomer, never had a defensive side to your game, so you can only be judged on offense. 2016 has been a very good year. It's a shame that the club thinks that keeping you would cost 2 blokes that can't get on the park an opportunity. I mean Garner and Turner have played as many Reserves games as you. This is a joke if you committed to play and they said no.

IF getting rid of Boomer makes sense then why keep Waite? Injury prone and keeping out McKay, who is WAY more promising than Turner or Garner.

Hopefully everyone gets along on Saturday night to pay their respects to the 4 champs.

Then gets along the next week to see them help us win the Elimination Final.

Rinse and repeat for 1st Semi, Preliminary and Grand Finals. :thumbsu:

Started the season winning nine in a row, let's finish it with five in a row. :thumbsu:

Shocked for Boomer, not the other 3. :(

The glass half empty says s**t timing, and looks very messy. :'(
The glass 9/10 full says that this can inspire us all the way to a flag for them. :thumbsu:

Can Boomer be put on the rookie list ? couldn't see him playing anywhere else,but, IMO, there are still a few games in those legs yet. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back