Mega Thread Farewell our Champs - Boomer, Drew, Spud & NDS all gone at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

I am just curious who will survive if Boomer is considered expendable..
We needed to make cuts to the list and we just made the deepest one we could. The entire list would now be aware that we have retired a guy who was North Melbourne.

2017 can be a complete reset, including coaching approach. I implore you Brad take this opportunity to become the ruthless coach you can be.

I am wondering whether Boomer has shot himself in the foot with this group approach.

So apparently all four pushed for a decision prior to round 23. I'm wondering if they held off and let the club make a decision in due course, with each player individually, would the outcome have been different?

Feels, from an external view, like a decision was made on the group rather than as individuals.

Was thinking yesterday that his retirement is tied somewhat with the fact we were retiring Drew.

They're great mates and all, but there have been occasions this year Boomer put trying to bring Drew into the game above the team.

Now the media is taking the piss, I just heard a RAAADD advert and you will never guess who the athlete was that was doing this one :(

I hope they haven't already started printing the membership info for next year as there will obviously be no more Harvey's Heroes. :'(:'( Who will be the next 'face' for the kids? I'm guessing Ben Brown. And what will they call it? Browny's Boomers? (Whoops!! :(:() Browny's Brats? :) ????
I dont know we still have Archers Legends. I think they should stay with the Harveys Heroes as a legacy to him................with the proviso he doesnt pull on another colored jumper

Statement from Boomer's facebook:

Right now, I feel a bit flat and sad because I won’t be playing at North Melbourne next year. But that was always going to be the case no matter when my career at Arden Street ended.

I know there are a lot of angry and disappointed fans out there and I love you all for your passion and care for me in this situation.

But I need you all to know that I’m ok with what’s happened.

It’s okay to feel upset, Brad and those in charge had a tough decision to make. I’m not angry at them about it at all, and have been in footy long enough to understand how it all works and that no individual is ever, bigger than the club.

More than anything, I appreciate Brad’s honesty because I put him in a difficult situation when I asked to know where I stood. He did the right thing and told us all the truth.

I was given the opportunity, along with Drewy, Spud and Dal, to speak to the media yesterday but physically couldn’t. I would have broken down and didn’t want to do that. I want to be clear that is wasn’t because we were angry, like some people are suggesting.

When the time is right, I will speak but I’m not sure when that will be.

While this is hard for all of us, it’s important that we don’t lose sight of what’s in front of us. Finals are just around the corner and rest assured, we will do everything we can to win. We’d all like nothing more than to go out on a high.

As for my future, well this has all happened so fast and I haven’t had a chance to consider what’s next. After the season, I will weigh everything up with my family and manager.

Thanks for all your support in what’s been a tough few days. You’re the best supporters in the AFL and I urge you to stand by the club because the future will be exciting.

I’ll never forget what an absolute privilege its been to play for this amazing club for 21 years.

Go Roos!

Boomer

Right now, I feel a bit flat and sad because I won’t be playing at North Melbourne next year. But that was always going to be the case no matter when my career at Arden Street ended.

I know there are a lot of angry and disappointed fans out there and I love you all for your passion and care for me in this situation.

It’s okay to feel upset, Brad and those in charge had a tough decision to make. I’m not angry at them about it at all, and have been in footy long enough to understand how it all works and that no individual is ever, bigger than the club.

More than anything, I appreciate Brad’s honesty because I put him in a difficult situation when I asked to know where I stood. He did the right thing and told us all the truth.

I was given the opportunity, along with Drewy, Spud and Dal, to speak to the media yesterday but physically couldn’t. I would have broken down and didn’t want to do that. I want to be clear that is wasn’t because we were angry, like some people are suggesting.

While this is hard for all of us, it’s important that we don’t lose sight of what’s in front of us. Finals are just around the corner and rest assured, we will do everything we can to win. We’d all like nothing more than to go out on a high.

As for my future, well this has all happened so fast and I haven’t had a chance to consider what’s next. After the season, I will weigh everything up with my family and manager.

Thanks for all your support in what’s been a tough few days. You’re the best supporters in the AFL and I urge you to stand by the club because the future will be exciting.

I’ll never forget what an absolute privilege its been to play for this amazing club for 21 years.

Go Roos!

Boomer
Just when I thought I couldn't possibly love this bloke more.....

He will be playing elsewhere next year.
I doubt it. And I really hope you're wrong. Should retire a one club player.

Only reason he should/would go elsewhere would be for a flag which means Hawthorn (yuck!) or GWS and even if he got it, would it really mean the same as number 5 would have?

He will be playing elsewhere next year.

I wouldn't rush to that conclusion.

My take on that is he hasn't accepted his footballing mortality yet, and his immediate reaction is that he just wants to keep playing. Somehow.

That doesn't mean when he works through the grief of losing his beloved footy club, he won't decide on retirement. In fact I'd say that when he does reach that headspace he will retire.

Anyways that's all up to Boomer and I certainly won't begrudge whatever choice he does make. I can't think of a single player in the history of the game who epitomises the saying "he doesn't owe the club anything" more than him.

Twitter is making me angrier and angrier by the hour. Not just because of "supporters" (bunch of bloody sooks and ingrates) but dickheads in the media as well.

No one seems to have as much faith in the club as they have massive effing mouths.

Go Roos!

Boomer
All class. An inspiration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boomer for coach?

#Boom17

If this happens the current Football Department should fall on their swords.

Brad has done this to protect his job, plain and simple.

He now has all the excuses in the world for a poor season next year.

Nothing but a snake oil salesman.

Bring back Boomer you clown!
Na, you are just being dramatic.

Go Roos!

Boomer
All class from Boomer, yet their are still people abusing the shizen out of the club on every form of social media. Disgraceful!

Firstly I think Boomer could have gone on next year but can appreciate the reasons and the need for a list refresh, so will back the club in, on the proviso, that is what happens. If they recruit Mayne/Vickery types it will be at complete odds with the Boomer decision. Those types would have 2 years left of average football (list cloggers!) and surely don't fit the strategy of getting games into the best youngish talent we can lay our hands on asap. So I will sit back and wait to see.... So far have not seen any reason as to why recruiting average footballers in their late 20's is a good idea... If this is what happens there is more to the Boomer retirement than we are being told...

In the interim I wish them all the best, thank them greatly for their passion and service and hope we deliver a great finals performance. Go Roos!

Na, you are just being dramatic.
As a supporter I am pissed that we have Heckel and Jeckel making these decisions.

We virtually had two figure heads of the club come out yesterday and tell us they had all but given up on this list, on the eve of finals.

In the process treated the departure of an icon of our club like an end of season delisting.

Amateur hour.

As a supporter I am pissed that we have Heckel and Jeckel making these decisions.

We virtually had two figure heads of the club come out yesterday and tell us they had all but given up on this list, on the eve of finals.

In the process treated the departure of an icon of our club like an end of season delisting.

Amateur hour.
Did you read Boomers post? Listen to his manager? Being angry for the sake of being angry is waste of energy mate.

And what would make you think that?

Says that he won't be playing at North Melbourne next year, not that he won't be playing football next year.

Manager says that there is only small chance he'll play on. Political speak for not ruling it out but want to downplay it, like it will be some kind of unexpected miracle.

And Boomer is savvy enough, with no contract before him in round 22, to have had his manager having conversations.

Just my opinion and I won't begrudge him but it will hurt like hell if it eventuates.

So more info comes to light which pretty much showed that the clubs hand was forced into making the decision public before it wanted to and in a manner in which it would have preferred not to have followed. This is all down to the players wanting an answer prior to the last round, so I get that from their perspective too. So perhaps we can now stop kicking the s**t out of the club, the coach and Heath O’ Friggen Lachlan who has been exemplary for this club for a long time.

Boomer, geez, it’s a tough one. If you look at the delistings from a totally non-emotive position and not based on form, but on list regeneration, we have decided to chop 4 key players, 4 of our 5 oldest. Each player plays a different role in the team so the delistings will not heavily weaken a particular area of the ground.

Spud, out of the back half with Vickers-Willis, Hibberd and Neilsen pushing to replace him.

Dish out of the forward line with Daw, Wood, Brown, Waite, Durdin and McKay in line to play up there.

Dal out of the midfield rotations with Clarke, Dumont and Mountford potentially introduced on a more long term basis and the likes of MacMillan pushing up to a wing.

Boomer out of the half forward line, with Turner, Anderson, Garner and Wagner given the responsibility to replace him, and the return of Higgins to assist in covering his loss.

Sure Boomer could have played on and on form deserved to, but this isn’t a decision based on form. It is a decision based on refreshing the list so that we give opportunity to young guys who will then fold into the best 22 over the next 12-24 months and help take this club forward, especially when you consider that in 3 years time it is highly likely that Gibson, Swallow, Thompson and Thomas will also be out the door, meaning that we will need to have a strong team to cover their absences too, so as to support more draftees in coming into the 22.

Overall this decision was hard, tough and thoroughly warranted. As much as I love Boomer I love this club more and want to see it be as successful long term as possible. And this decision was made with that goal in mind.

As for JB and his comments re ‘overachieving’, as a club president he sure as **** does his best to talk us down at times
. Yes, we have punched above out weight a fair bit over the last few years when you look at footy department spend, the amount of low draft picks, opportunity to attract members etc., but as a president you cannot put the club down like that, especially after saying that we were pushing for a flag during those years. It send Richmondesque mixed messages where the board are happy to be relatively successful.

Pragmatically I get that position, I really do. In an age where $$$ is king, drafts have been stuffed over by GWS and GC Suns, a club has to do what it can to position itself off field as best as it can so as to stay in the hunt for corporate $$$ and memberships. TBH we have been outstanding off field considering where we have come from and the environment in which we have been operating and the board may look at not winning a flag but moreso at stabilising the club for the long term. But don’t ******* admit it publicly for Christ’s sake.
jb,s comment was that champion data had ranked our list 12th in the comp so in making back to back prelims some could say we overachived

jb,s comment was that champion data had ranked our list 12th in the comp so in making back to back prelims some could say we overachived
Ah ok.

F*** champion data tho.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back