Mega Thread Farewell our Champs - Boomer, Drew, Spud & NDS all gone at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

After letting it soak in the past few days I'm come to the conclusion that this decision still doesn't sit well with me, the way we've handle it has been terrible. First things first what are the things you look at when moving on a player??
1.Form
2.Placement in the team

Ok we start with Dish...
Been a legend of our club and fan favourite for most but he's been really poor this year and he's output hasn't been anywhere near it has in the past few seasons. Imo I'd prefer to play Daw, Wood and the likes over the big Dish. So on that I'm ok with the call it had to be made.

That brings Spud, bleeds blue and white and has been a champion for us. Form yeah it's been good hasn't really gone backwards but again unfortunately I'd prefer McDonald, Wright and even Mckenize who I think has shown a lot this year over spud.

The evergreen dal santo wasn't so evergreen this year, yeah he had solid games but imo he's had a poor year and again id prefer Clarke and dumont to get games over him every day of the week.

Now to boomer the heart and soul of our footy club, a Legend of he's own, most games ever. When you think north you think boom boom.
Form wise yeah umm..... Could be selected in the All Australian squad of 40. Still in our top 5 best players hands down, you can't argue that.
Nobody really to replace him.
Gets another year you'd think.

So that's my view but this is were I really hate what we've done, how they've gone about anouncing this has been embarrassing.... Dish and spud should've been told around round 12 that we will not be renewing there contracts, they both know they won't get picked up by any other club so there finished. A week later have a press and spud and dish together announce there retirement. Dal santo should've been the same a few weeks later. As for Boomer. He deserves a massive send off we all know why im not going to bother going into it.
The way we've handled this is a joke.. Do you think Petrie and Firrito will get as big send off now!! Nope. They totally deserve it and all my heart wants them to get what they deserve, both outstanding club men. Dal santo won't get s**t, hasn't been at north long enough for us to care as much as the rest but he deserves a send off. Boomer deserves to go out on he's terms and even now won't get anywhere near the standing ovation he deserves and North for me won't ever be the same without boom. But it had to come to end some day right? Yep, don't think it was now but it's done. We just treated our legends like dirt. It really doesn't sit well with me and for god sake boom play on mate... You ain't done.

Go Roos
Boomer era is over....
Rant done

So you tell the 4 players in round 12 - what if they are really annoyed, don't accept the decision, don't announce their retirement and their anger at the decision after we had won the first 10 completely undermines the morale of the group? The media would have said it was premature and crazy, they're on top of the ladder and they announce the delisting of senior players. Turn it up!!!

They were given the option and didn't want to front the press - thus the club is put in a position where it will get out anyway so they have to act.

The biggest mistake for me is not telling them earlier in the season.
Or after the season. Someone else mentioned, "what if Wells does his knee in the last game", maybe then they decide to keep boomer. Maybe

Steve Johnson is benefitting immensely from playing in a highly talented side - would be irrelevant in a bottom 8 side.
So you are saying that he is a sacrificial lamb to make us a bottom 8 side? With Boomer in there and a fit an healthy list we aren't bottom 8.

So if that's the logic we are expecting to seriously bottom out, because if not you don't get rid of good players?

I'm not sure why Brad Scott gets the chance to rebuild this list?

He has had 7 years and in essence failed. Yes you can argue we have had some good results, but the glaring obvious is that our gameplan sucks, our skills are atrocious and he has played favourites for 7 years by not giving players games when they have deserved them. Not a good CV for a coach going into rebuild.

Boomer out of the 4 is the exception, he has deserved every game he has got. No reason why he is not deserving to play on and he isn't keeping anyone out of that side that deserves games.

Or after the season. Someone else mentioned, "what if Wells does his knee in the last game", maybe then they decide to keep boomer. Maybe

So, you remain unwilling to accept Boomer's confirmation that the timing was down to him, and if he hadn't pushed, the decisions would have been made after the season?

OK.

Plenty of people have understood and eloquently stated the basis of the decision. Read anything by Kimbo, Hearts to hearts or B Tron in this thread - each of them has stated it more eloquently than I could.

It's not because he's dropped form - he hasn't. It's not because he's no longer in our top 5 - he is. But it's also not just about 2017 (he'd still be very effective next year, no doubt), it's about putting together a group that can take the next step and we have to be better at developing the young talent that we have recruited. Boomer is better than Garner, Anderson, Turner, Wagner and Clarke - no doubt - but we need these guys to have the opportunity to play together and not be the second-stringers in the group. And improve, which young players do. They need to be the core group of young effective players, led by JZ, Cunners, Goldy, Higgins and JMac. We need a new look playing group, which doesn't rely on veterans to get the job done, or else we will regress very quickly. I am excited by the prospect.

No-one is disputing that three of the four veterans who are going have come to the end. The hard decision was Boomer. I wouldn't have made the same decision, but I get why it was made.

My concern is we've lost a very good player with the outside run, carry, and quality disposal that we so desperately lack. Additionally a very physically durable player and one that is a real mentor to younger players. Sure I understand the decision was made for the long term success of the club but unless we all go "wow" with some big offseason signing (ie/ the way the cats made room for Danger) that may not be the case. Clarkson, Longmire, Simmo, all very successful ex north coaches. I can just see Boomer playing another season elsewhere, move into a coaching role, and then being appointed a senior coach. Perhaps that is part of the plan, go and garner some IP elsewhere and comeback as our next senior coach. If he does play on elsewhere, I'll go and watch him play (in my north colours) and sincerely hopes he wins a flag. But I will be very dissappointed in the club if he ends up on the coaching panel at another club.

JB Pretty much put the whole timing of the release on Boomer, said he was desperate to know. Others had enquired but Boomer pulled Brad a side and demanded to know.

That makes a mockery of the idea that the Club runs the Club. The Club should have controlled the process if they can't control that then what are the Board, senior management and the Media department doing?????

But Horace, what you've been most vocal about today is the negative effect of us losing Boomer.

This doesn't sit with being so flippant about Geelong and Adelaide losing their best players, and stressing that the clubs weren't damaged by it.

Re-quoting your post 703, LtK. The negative effect that I see in de-listing a player, as distinct from a player pulling stumps and moving elsewhere of his own volition, is in the case of Boomer, as much off-field as it is on field. In the case of Boomer the club has delisted a player, not capable of exerting the same on field influence as the other two do, because clearly they are/were in the peak of their careers. The delisting of Boomer in my opinion more has the potential to damage the heart and soul of the club, which is in large part its supporter base. It will affect us on field also because in my opinion we don't have anyone readily available to step up and play the role that he is currently playing.

In my view what we could not afford to have happen is part of our supporter base become disenchanted and walk away. Imagine the conversations that have gone on in North Melbourne households this week between young kids coming home from school and saying "Mum/Dad, the Kangaroos have sacked Boomer. Why did they do that, he is playing so well? He's my hero." Not sure what the answer is to that but there is potential for kids to say, I'm not following the Kangaroos anymore, especially if the Mum/Dad feels as unhappy about the decision as clearly so many supporters do.

I've had to confront that question this week, with Ms Horace, who is a highly intelligent person, in full time employment and can't get her mind around why all four were de-listed, but especially Boomer as he has had yet again a very good season and shows no sign of falling off to the extent that he is not a very valuable contributor.

I was not intending to be flippant about Ablett and Dangerfield. Far from it. In fact I thought, like many others, both clubs would falter. They didn't in the case of the Cats who won the flag the year after he left. Adelaide are very nicely poised to have a shot at the flag this year. I believe that the players at both of these clubs were/have been motivated by the view of outsiders that they were not good enough to cover the loss of those two players. I believe that their supporters in both cases got behind their teams to show that you can walk away from us, but we won't be dragged down, we will be better than ever. These reactions are so often more in in the heart than anywhere else.

On field we may well perform better next year without Boomer. Let's hope so because who wants to see the club slip back down the ladder and go through all the pain that will bring.

I hope that answers you question, LTK. If not we'll have to agree that either one or both of us is a bit thick. Well actually I am happy to accept I'm a bit thick, because Mrs. Horace regularly tells me so and she would know.

They were given the option and didn't want to front the press - thus the club is put in a position where it will get out anyway so they have to act.

The biggest mistake for me is not telling them earlier in the season.

So, you remain unwilling to accept Boomer's confirmation that the timing was down to him, and if he hadn't pushed, the decisions would have been made after the season?

OK.
No. you seem to want to create an argument where one doesn't exist.
After the season. My suggestion was that the club makes the decision then regardless of what the player requested.
Just a suggestion, not an edict

No. you seem to want to create an argument where one doesn't exist.
After the season. My suggestion was that the club makes the decision then regardless of what the player requested.
Just a suggestion, not an edict

Create an argument? Not at all. I agree that "after the season" is nice in theory, because any club should be bigger than any player. The club have even stated that it would have been their preference. However, in this case the reality of Boomer's demand meant it couldn't be achieved.

And perhaps in this one very special case, it is reasonable for the player's interests to result in an exception to the "club is bigger than any player" rule. This would amount to paying Boomer appropriate respect that most have been demanding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Symantics. Reset, rebuild, isn't it the same thing?

Not for mine.

It's purely about making changes to reset and hopefully improve, rather than keep relying on 32+yo players/champs who ultimately (as a group) haven't got the job done - so we try and move forward.

Last edited:
I was not intending to be flippant about Ablett and Dangerfield. Far from it. In fact I thought, like many others, both clubs would falter. They didn't

Appreciate the response, H, and we're not really that far apart in our views on this.

I only quoted a bit of the post because it shows that any of us can have what in retrospect is a wrong reaction to a situation, which turns out better than we thought. Could be salient.

Appreciate the response, H, and we're not really that far apart in our views on this.

I only quoted a bit of the post because it shows that any of us can have what in retrospect is a wrong reaction to a situation, which turns out better than we thought. Could be salient.

Let us all hope so, LtK

Petrie is shocked along with NDS and Harvey.... What kind of chats did the club have throughout the year, they all seem like they were expecting to play on.

Petrie is shocked along with NDS and Harvey.... What kind of chats did the club have throughout the year, they all seem like they were expecting to play on.

Drew could come into his own thread on BF and seen an assessment throughout the year..
..because the players visit here.

So you are saying that he is a sacrificial lamb to make us a bottom 8 side? With Boomer in there and a fit an healthy list we aren't bottom 8.

So if that's the logic we are expecting to seriously bottom out, because if not you don't get rid of good players?

I'm not sure why Brad Scott gets the chance to rebuild this list?

He has had 7 years and in essence failed. Yes you can argue we have had some good results, but the glaring obvious is that our gameplan sucks, our skills are atrocious and he has played favourites for 7 years by not giving players games when they have deserved them. Not a good CV for a coach going into rebuild.

Boomer out of the 4 is the exception, he has deserved every game he has got. No reason why he is not deserving to play on and he isn't keeping anyone out of that side that deserves games.
No, I didn't say that, I said Steve Johnson is benefitting immensely from playing in a top side. I wouldn't want his selfish, defensively lazy attitude any where near Arden St. Not comparing him to Boomer's situation. Boomer should have been given another year on merit, the other 3 not so.

No, I didn't say that, I said Steve Johnson is benefitting immensely from playing in a top side. I wouldn't want his selfish, defensively lazy attitude any where near Arden St. Not comparing him to Boomer's situation. Boomer should have been given another year on merit, the other 3 not so.

I suspect there is a bit of deliberate misinterpretation going on in this sub-string of the thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back