Toast Farewell Schoey - Good luck

Bloody loved the big Schoe. On a hiding to nothing being drafted as a highly rated forward and being plonked down back and expected to contain the big gorillas from almost day one of his career. We kept hearing how he was going to cost us a flag in 2012 and yet he was one of the more admirable performers on the day. Was starting to show some real promise in early 2013 before his ACL.

Underrated as a forward - I felt our forward structure was always more steady when he was up there in the post-Buddy era. I always wonder what he could have become had he played forward from the beginning rather than being given the whipping boy duties down back.

Was superb in the 2015 granny and earned his premiership medal on the day.

A couple of times bigger money offers came his way but he always stuck loyal.

Will never understand how people pour s**t on him. He is a bloody brilliant Hawthown clubman and I'm glad he gets to retire a premiership Hawk.

Thanks for all the endeavour, Schoey!

All the best Schoey. Had a tough start to his career but always looked great I thought when playing forward, even just structurally, and probably our deadliest kick there for a while.

Fondest memory of him is his run down the wing in the 2015 GF and look away kick to Rioli inside 50 who slotted it home.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
This pretty much sums Schoey up. Heart and sould type player that was often unfairly targeted by some. Remember my main feeling after the 2015 GF was just joy that he got a medal. Was well deserved and am so happy that he managed to cement a legacy at the Hawks during that 2015 finals series.

Jun 7, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bloody loved the big Schoe. On a hiding to nothing being drafted as a highly rated forward and being plonked down back and expected to contain the big gorillas from almost day one of his career. We kept hearing how he was going to cost us a flag in 2012 and yet he was one of the more admirable performers on the day. Was starting to show some real promise in early 2013 before his ACL.

Underrated as a forward - I felt our forward structure was always more steady when he was up there in the post-Buddy era. I always wonder what he could have become had he played forward from the beginning rather than being given the whipping boy duties down back.

Was superb in the 2015 granny and earned his premiership medal on the day.

A couple of times bigger money offers came his way but he always stuck loyal.

Will never understand how people pour s**t on him. He is a bloody brilliant Hawthown clubman and I'm glad he gets to retire a premiership Hawk.

Thanks for all the endeavour, Schoey!
Great post.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This pretty much sums Schoey up. Heart and sould type player that was often unfairly targeted by some. Remember my main feeling after the 2015 GF was just joy that he got a medal. Was well deserved and am so happy that he managed to cement a legacy at the Hawks during that 2015 finals series.

Awesome

Love that he got a flag

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was starting to show some real promise in early 2013 before his ACL.
There's never a good time to sustain a serious injury but schoe was about to enter the sweet spot of his career when he did his acl. Came back far too ripped and had lost a lot of pace & agility. Like everyone I'm glad the big fella was able to be part of the 2015 flag but had he not been injured in 2013 he's probably our starting chb in 2020

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

Really made me LOL at the time. Repeated acts by Schoe and Punky among half a dozen eagles.
Birch strolls in , kicks a goal and hes the one who heads to the bench for a rest :)

Farewell Shoey
Copped some absolute crap from some supporters - perennial scapegoat
Did a job he wasn’t qualified to do and I think by doing so we missed out on seeing a quality forward

So glad he got to get a premiership medal - gave his heart and soul and it was well deserved

One of those unlucky few to be plagued with injury throughout his career. Unlike Whitecross he was lucky enough to get his opportunity to play in a GF and win a flag. And he contributed greatly to that flag.

With a bit more luck with his body and the bodies of those that indirectly forced him to play out of his best position and before he was physically ready, he might have been a really great forward over a longer period of time.

Thanks for the contribution Schoey!

A really really good role player in his prime with just that little bit extra. Absolutely stoked that he ended up with a flag, made 2015 just that tiny bit sweeter.

Thanks for everything Schoey!

macmate

Club Legend
Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor
Dec 16, 2008
Caulfield North
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Benfica, Liverpool, 49ers
Good luck Ryan in your next step in life. You'll always be welcome at waverly/dingly. You were unfairly maligned at times but you were always a favourite of mine and i had the upmost respect for how you handle yourself when things weren't going your way.

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
We kept hearing how he was going to cost us a flag in 2012 and yet he was one of the more admirable performers on the day.
Schoenmakers never cost us the 2012 GF, but did cost us the 2011 Prelim with a dropped chestmark that resulted in the final Luke Ball goal. Let's not sugar coat it, as a key defender he wasn't physically ready for the prodigious tasks he was assigned because we literally had no-one else at the time, but did cost us many games in that period with panicked decision making and an inability to stay upright in marking contests. He literally became a meme.

Its no coincidence we only started winning flags again after the club recruited Lake, and indeed it could be the argued the club should've gone after a mature key defender earlier so Schoenmakers wasn't put in that position to begin with. Not only did it kill his confidence for a long time but also stifled his development as a forward, and we'll never know if the ACL would've happened had he been playing at the other end. No point speculating I guess.

He does deserve full credit for staying loyal to the club after 2015 when there was interest abroad as others have said, great point.

Gene Simmons

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2007
Melbourne Rock City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
His best match for the Hawks was the 2015 Grand Final.. I really felt after that game it could have propelled him to reach the expectations many of us had... Unfortunately various injuries took their toll. As others have mentioned, structurally we always looked better when Shoey was in the forward line and he was one of the most reliable set shots for goal.

Back