Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
His best match for the Hawks was the 2015 Grand Final.. I really felt after that game it could have propelled him to reach the expectations many of us had... Unfortunately various injuries took their toll. As others have mentioned, structurally we always looked better when Shoey was in the forward line and he was one of the most reliable set shots for goal.

Was so much like Stevie Lawrence in 1991

Cyril says

All Australian
Jun 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I really loved him as a player and sometimes felt was on my own - did a lot for structure.

Injuries and recruiting meant he played back more than he should have until Buddy took the pay check up north.

Pick 17 and definitely lived up to promise. A great kick and took over from Crawf as the clubs’ pretty boy!

Congrats on a great career. Thanks for pushing us along!

CS

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Can someone check on Bumpswithagrin pls.

Noooooooooo :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Nah, all good :thumbsu: I was expecting it after only seeing him play a few games at VFL this year. People talk about the win against the Swans being the highlight of the threepeat but for me it was 2015 and seeing Schoey with a premiership medal around his neck, after all the you know what he copped over his career I was so happy to see him get that :) He's a smart young lad and no doubt has plenty of plans for life outside of football. All the best Schoey and thanks for everything including staying loyal to Hawthorn, will miss your lovely kicking (and other things :p ).

Edit: Just watched the tribute done by Clarko... :'(

Last edited:

Buzz Hawk

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2017
Buttox
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not much to add really, nicely captured by the posts above mine.
A fine player at his best, and more importantly a fine human being by all accounts.
He can hold his head high with what he has achieved in his career.
A Hawthorn premiership hero, it doesn't get better than that.
Go well Ryan Schoenmakers.

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
His best 2 games of footy were in Grand Finals!

2012 and 2015

Loyal to the Hawks the second he walked through the door

Enjoy retirement and the Premiership reunions

Walks away as a Premiership player, very well deserved
Well said and I concur with everything you said.

For all the criticism about Schoenmakers under performing in his career, he did play his best ever game in the 2015 Grand Final. :)

21 disposals - 9 marks (2 contested) - 4 tackles - 5 inside 50s - 1 goal

Mar 15, 2009
Scarborough WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
All Blacks Green Bay
images (4).jpeg

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Always thought shoey was very smart player, new where to run, how to position and drag opposition defenders and played a pure selfless team game. He was pretty raw early on but came good as his career went on, just injuries got in the way of development.

To play 11 years at the hawks, battle through injuries and come back in 2015, will always be a star of hawthorn. Although sad to see him retire it is a good sign the list is heading into a direction of new success.

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
You mean where he was presented with two targets and didn't hit either of them, forcing Buddy to go into beastmode to avoid squandering the opportunity?

One thing I won't miss is how ludicrously every remotely half-decent thing Schoenmakers ever did was talked up on this forum. Blatant over-compensation for the countless times he coughed up goals, and now the same thing happens with Tim O'Brien. Open the other eye guys.

Steal your girlfriend?

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
Sad thing for me is that he did his knee just when he was starting to grow into that defensive role and look a lot more comfortable. He may never have been a game breaker but he never complained and always did what the team wanted from him. The cheer in 2015 when he got his medal and when he was introduced at Glenferrie the next day showed that the fans loved him (in the end!)

HolyWars

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona, Boca Juniors
Thanks for everything Ryan. He could've walked when he was the whipping boy but stuck it out. So glad he got a flag.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
Played a beast of a game in that 2015 GF. A well deserved Hawthorn premiership player. I have very fond memories of seeing him finally realise his potential as a forward even if it was only short-lived. A career largely crueled by injuries and Hawthorn's desperate need for a key back early on. But we saw breifly what he was capable of in 2015 and he walks away with a flag to his name.

A very useful and valued member of the Hawthorn family. Thanks Schoey!

Back