Toast Farewell to a true Shinboner

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for sharing mate. I am sure he will be in your thoughts much over the next year or two and he would have loved seeing our young side achieve great things by the sounds of it. You're right, 64 is way too young :-( Hang in there.

on behalf of the Port board condolences to you boneofshin and your family/friends, great write up about your dad and your relationship, a hard time currently but all from the heart, your dad sounds like a wonderful man, unfortunately, you will never get over the loss, it's a void never filled but time eases the pain, chin up mate, he's no longer suffering and in pain, now watching over you and his beloved Kangas
R.I.P :hearts:

Sounds like a true shinboner. I’ll pour out some Jamison for him. Sounds like NMFC to the core.

Condolences BOS.

Bone of Shin. Son of Shinboner.

Greatest respect to you both.

Last edited:
Sounds like a ripper bloke Bos. Condolences and a heartfelt virtual hug. Lost my shinboner dad three years back and it is tough but gets easier as time passes. Vale Bos' dad.

Let me preface this by saying that it is not normally my style to write things this sappy (or lengthy) but this is important to me, so I hope you'll indulge me this once.

My father passed away in the early hours of Wednesday morning after a lengthy battle with illness. He was far too young at 64 years old but managed to fit more into those 64 years than many others would in three lifetimes. Thankfully, I was be able to get back to Adelaide in time to spend his final hours with him, and he passed away surrounded by the people who loved him.

I'm sharing this here because my dad has had a predictably profound influence on the person that I am today, but most pertinently here, if not for him I would never have fallen in love with the North Melbourne Football Club, and quite likely the game of AFL itself. From the moment that I began showing an interest in the game, there was never a question of which team I would be supporting. Barracking for the Kangaroos was in my family a rite of passage, rather than a choice. My dad was also one of the most generous people you'll ever meet, and for the last 15 years, a North Melbourne membership has been a constant Christmas present for myself and my siblings.

Dad possessed many of the qualities that I associate with the North Melbourne football and the Shinboner Spirit, ones which make me proud to call myself a supporter. He was by no means the biggest man going around, but he had the biggest heart. Family was everything to my dad, and anyone who entered his home was treated as family. He was ridiculously generous, and in the last 4 years of his life treated his family to some truly incredible experiences. He was also a tough bastard, staving off aggressive cancer for 4 years before it finally got him, and even managed to make the trip all the way to Canada to see my brother get married only 2 months ago.

My dad won't be written about in North Melbourne's history books, but his love for this football club has helped shape me into the person I am today, and there's no question of which team my children will grow up supporting. I only hope that by sharing this story that he might be remembered as the true Shinboner that he was. Nothing would have made him happier than seeing his beloved North Melbourne win a fifth flag. I hope the boys can do it for him in the near future.

Love it mate! I still remember years ago him handing out membership caps like they were lollies against port at Footy Park!

It was a pleasure to have met him and to have witnessed his passion for north Melbourne first hand!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Condolences mate. Your post made me think of my dad's total lack of football understanding and absolute failure to comprehend my passion for North ! My dad was an Essendon fan who used to go to Windy Hill. Living in WA he started following the Eagles... Then the Dockers came in and now he says he's just happy if a WA team wins. In his most galling display of absolute football insensitivity yet, the morning after the 2015 preliminary final loss he asked if I enjoyed the game. He then said 'well even though you lost you must be happy it was to the Eagles.' I almost spontaneously combusted.

291588_d72f69d34ecda1b7abbc75bbfefcf793.png

Black arm band donned and North Flag at half-mast.

Condolences mate. Your Dad sounded like the essence of what it is to be North.

Sincerest condolences to you and your family boneofshin

For me personally, you never forget who it was that introduced each of us to the club we love and we mourn the passing of your old man as the football club in indebted to him for years to come. RIP

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's never good to hear we have lost a die hard shinboner :( Thoughts and prayers are with you boneofshin and may your champion of a father rest in peace

My thoughts go out to you and yours, mate, sincerely.

Hopefully this sharing is both cathartic for yourself, and a reminder for the rest of us to take the time to spend with those we love.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

It is.

Thanks for sharing and condolences to you and your family.

thanks for sharing something so personal. Condolences to you and your family. A sobering reminder of how we should treasure the time we have with those we love.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back